• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Schwelly underwent Tommy John Surgery

Hate to see this. McDaniel stated it will be doubtful Schwelly will see the field in 2022. Also mentioned Braves are looking to convert him into a starting role.

Would the comeback be easier and the chances of success greater if the Braves had him focus on SS rather than Pitcher?

Beareye,
That is an amazing question! The comeback would not be easy at all, the delay time is the same regardless of whether he pitches or plays the field. He has a long rehab stint.

My last message was cut off, I'm not sure where Spencer could best serve Atalanta; it seems they are very high on him as a pitcher. I habe no further insight into anything else.

Would the comeback be easier and the chances of success greater if the Braves had him focus on SS rather than Pitcher?

It doesn't matter as far as comeback. TJ surgery, with recovery & rehab is so much quicker than what it was even just a few years ago. Heck, Huskers have a current position player - redshirt freshmen - that had TJ surgery a few weeks ago and he's projected to be ready for the 2022 season. Schwellenbach is a little different as a professional player but the point remains coming back from TJS is a much quicker process than before.

I believe he'll be a P and not a position guy unless he doesn't come back strong after surgery. His hips aren't IF material, he doesn't run very well to play OF & his bat doesn't project at the highest level. This is an opinion of many MLB teams in the last 4 months, which I happen to agree with. Good college position guy, but doesn't project at a position at the next level. I believe all the "2-way talk" during the draft process was more mouthwash than anything else.

Spencer has an incredible work ethic so I'm hopeful he'll recover just fine.

On a side note, I hope this is a lesson learned going forward with NU baseball players. Quit getting "clean up surgery" because it doesn't solve the problem. Feekin, Perry, Gomes & Schwelly all had "clean up" work and it didn't help a single one of them as each had to get a serious surgery within a short time.

Last edited:
His hips aren't IF material, he doesn't run very well to play OF & his bat doesn't project at the highest level.

Insanely hard to make it as a MLB position player. Great illustration here. One of Nebraska's best infield prospects in a long time. And not even close to having the goods to play in the big leagues.

Insanely hard to make it as a MLB position player. Great illustration here. One of Nebraska's best infield prospects in a long time. And not even close to having the goods to play in the big leagues.
That's your opinion. You never know
he has heart

I can’t see Schwellenbach making the show at SS. He’s a good college shortstop but not near good enough offensively to make up for his defensive range. If he’s going to be developed as a positional player, I’d start him at 3rd base given his arm strength. Even then, he would have to retool his swing.

I think his best bet is to be a reliever. I think he could have a pretty good career there.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back