• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Pellet Grill Ribeye - Medium

I just got my first pellet grill as well (a Camp Chef). Guess I've got to play around with the type of pellets I put in it. Have done some ribs and a chicken in it so far. It gets the job done and is a lot less work than the home built smoker I've been using but I'm not getting the same smoke flavor. I read on a grilling forum somewhere that the brand of pellets makes a big difference.
Get a smoker box or tube. They will help add the missing "heavy" smoke flavor when you want it.

If anyone is looking for a pellet smoker that is built right and local (it ships anywhere) check out http://www.blazngrillworks.com/

These are built really well and can hold the temp in most winter conditions.

Get a smoker box or tube. They will help add the missing "heavy" smoke flavor when you want it.

If anyone is looking for a pellet smoker that is built right and local (it ships anywhere) check out http://www.blazngrillworks.com/

These are built really well and can hold the temp in most winter conditions.
I built an outside smoke can - couple of pipes, short copper tube, couple of fittings and a fish tank pump. Works like a charm now!

I like to cook steaks pretty cold (right out of refrg) Season, Smoke on pellet grill (I have a Traegar) for 20-30 min. Remove from grill and crank up heat to 450. When hot put rub steaks with light coating of olive oil (I use spray) then steaks back on for 3 - 6 minutes per side. Let rest covered with aluminum foil for 5 - 10 minutes. Great results, imho, using this reverse sear technique.
I’m not knocking your method at all, but wouldn’t the steak be too well done cooking them that long? I haven’t tried this method so I don’t know, but smoking for 20-30 min, then cooking for 10 more minutes sounds like it could be.

I’m not knocking your method at all, but wouldn’t the steak be too well done cooking them that long? I haven’t tried this method so I don’t know, but smoking for 20-30 min, then cooking for 10 more minutes sounds like it could be.
I use this method with the original time more aligned to the internal temp. Instead of 20-30 (although this is about the time line depends on thickness) I bring the middle to 112 degrees then take off and crank grill to 650-700 degrees and do 90 seconds on each side. So not 10 mins in my experience but at a hotter setting. This leaves them medium rare.

I use this method with the original time more aligned to the internal temp. Instead of 20-30 (although this is about the time line depends on thickness) I bring the middle to 112 degrees then take off and crank grill to 650-700 degrees and do 90 seconds on each side. So not 10 mins in my experience but at a hotter setting. This leaves them medium rare.
Do you just keep a digital meat thermometer in the meat so that you know it’s 112°? I love to cook, and I’d like to try this method.

Yes, or use an instant read and check at 10 mins then 15-20
I usually let it warm up out of the refrigerator just using Montreal steak seasoning on all sides. I will put a butter slice on each side when doing searing on each side for 90 seconds.

Thanks I think I’ll try this weekend. I’ve always stuck with the gas grill for my steaks and never thought about throwing them in the pellet grill first.
Set it at like 250 for the pellet grill to bring it to 112, crank the gas up then to 600 for the sear

I might be a little old school but I like to cook over wood. I have friends with the pellets and they are nice but just not the same. Using a pellet grill to me just seems like going for a day of fishing at a well-stocked pond instead of heading out to the lake.

There is a lot of good information tucked in here. I really like the gas idea to finish the steak and give it the sear that everyone associates with a good grilled steak. Me personally, it depends on the meat that I am doing. If I am doing a steak, I'll set the grill to smoke, pull my steaks out of the fridge and put whatever dry rub I want for that night. Smoke them for about an hour, and then finish them off with heat from my pellet grill. If I am doing brisket, shoulder, ribs, or a pork butt I'll try and set the meat out ahead of cooking depending on weight. I find it easier and cutting down on my cooking time if the meat is closer to ambient temp. If I am doing chicken I will smoke them long enough to get a good smoke ring and then start cooking the chicken. I use the thumb pad technique for my beef (Index finger to thumb pad is more on a rare side feeling when pressure is applied and doneness increases as you move down the hand) but I always use a digital meat thermometer for my pork and chicken.

I might be a little old school but I like to cook over wood. I have friends with the pellets and they are nice but just not the same. Using a pellet grill to me just seems like going for a day of fishing at a well-stocked pond instead of heading out to the lake.
Agree that the pellet grills can't match "old school" grilling over wood. I still have my wood fed smoker that I use for bigger quantities, but the pellet smoker fills the void when the only people I'm cooking for is my wife and I. It's not quite as good but it scratches the itch for a little smoke flavor.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back