• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Brett Bielema at Illinois

BB will not go away from a play, for the sake of “balance”. He will run that play, over and over, until we stop it.
#jetsweep
Different staff, but that doesn’t mean it won’t work either. I’m kinda glad NU is getting them in game 1. Less time for them to gel, and best time for NU to work out it’s own issues.

Living in IL for 45+ years, what I have seen and heard:

Attitude towards Bielema is: Show me! As with other schools they want 3* AND 4* players, Ws and bowl games. Most of my Illini buddies seem to prefer wide open spread as opposed to smash-mouth football, but winning cures everything as we know, so Brett will have to match talent-on-hand with opponents and hope the Illini defense can keep the scores from getting out of hand.

Recruiting is about the same story every year. ND takes a lot of great Catholic high school talent and still has an historic pull. NW offers a high-value degree, top coaching & great facilities for HS scholars. Michigan still has pull, but less these days and other B1G and even MAC schools all pluck some of the remaining top talent Brett has to stop the bleeding.

Illinois FB recruiting is tough, Lovie Smith had trouble keeping talent from leaving Illinois even with his NFL connections, Bielema has a very tough road ahead.

After Illinois loses its first game to DONU, I hope they do well the rest of the way.

Having Ohio and Nebraska roots, I find the football enthusiasm here in Illinois to be sadly lacking, They need Brett Bielema to make them competitive

…my first post. GBR
Great first post. Welcome!

I only disagree with wanting them to do well the rest of the way. Not that I typically wish ill (no pun intended) on other teams, but I hope that we dominate them in BB's first game, to the extent that Bret questions whether he should have taken the job.

It's our turn.

(Edit: This is only my "hope"; not a prediction. Don't want to jinx us.)

Last edited:

Different staff, but that doesn’t mean it won’t work either. I’m kinda glad NU is getting them in game 1. Less time for them to gel, and best time for NU to work out it’s own issues.

Agree. He was completely out of his depth band in the SEC but he knows the B1G and I'm betting that Illinois will be a fairly tough out as the season progresses. That said, he's a complete tool and I hope we get some payback.....

Living in IL for 45+ years, what I have seen and heard:

Attitude towards Bielema is: Show me! As with other schools they want 3* AND 4* players, Ws and bowl games. Most of my Illini buddies seem to prefer wide open spread as opposed to smash-mouth football, but winning cures everything as we know, so Brett will have to match talent-on-hand with opponents and hope the Illini defense can keep the scores from getting out of hand.

Recruiting is about the same story every year. ND takes a lot of great Catholic high school talent and still has an historic pull. NW offers a high-value degree, top coaching & great facilities for HS scholars. Michigan still has pull, but less these days and other B1G and even MAC schools all pluck some of the remaining top talent Brett has to stop the bleeding.

Illinois FB recruiting is tough, Lovie Smith had trouble keeping talent from leaving Illinois even with his NFL connections, Bielema has a very tough road ahead.

After Illinois loses its first game to DONU, I hope they do well the rest of the way.

Having Ohio and Nebraska roots, I find the football enthusiasm here in Illinois to be sadly lacking, They need Brett Bielema to make them competitive

…my first post. GBR
Thanks for the great post and welcome. Football and Illini have never been a draw. Hearing that they are blocking out some corners to help as far as ticket sales. Also, that ticket sales are slow for game zero, even on the visitors side, just what I've read on some posts.

Thanks for the great post and welcome. Football and Illini have never been a draw. Hearing that they are blocking out some corners to help as far as ticket sales. Also, that ticket sales are slow for game zero, even on the visitors side, just what I've read on some posts.
Away games in the current climate at the beginning of the year is to be expectedly lower than norm

What I found interesting is he talks about how he thought he knew everything and his success made him overconfident and he thought he was the bill b etc etc
I think frost can learn from this
Don't let your hubris take u down
Here that scottie?

I dont care, BB has this he inherited, a little bulletin board item

Good game Nebraska," a tweet from Illinois Athletics read. "Thanks for bringing back B1G football."
This is what a slight truly looks like. I thi k our guys will be fired up.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back