• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Trivia Question

Alright, name the Husker with the all time highest career yard per carry average at the following thresholds

Min Career Rushing Yards:

500 -
1000 -
2000 -
4500 - :)

Jeff Smith had something like a 12-yards-per-carry average as a sophomore because his first run from scrimmage was an 80-yard TD against Iowa, and I think his second was something close to that. He had a ton of yards in cleanup as a sophomore and junior, and he had a pretty good senior year. I don't know if that puts him into any of these slots as being the best, but he comes to mind as someone who had a great yards/carry average but often isn't remembered for it.

Last edited:

I would think so. I just think his average yard per carry was the best through 500 yard threshold.
Calvin is one of the great "forgotten" Husker backs. Had he returned for his Sr. year in 94 ( and held off Phillips) he'd have challenged for Rozier's career yards record. As is he finished with 3,100 career yards, @ 6.84 per carry. This is not the 2k+ record, it's actually tied for third in career YPC, min 2k career yards. His 8.83 YPC in 1991 is the single season record, minimum 100 carries.
Jeff Smith had something like a 12-yards-per-carry average as a sophomore because his first run from scrimmage was an 80-yard TD against Iowa, and I think his second was something close to that. He had a ton of yards in cleanup as a sophomore and junior, and he had a pretty good senior year. I don't know if that puts him into any of these slots as being the best, but he comes to mind as someone who had a great yards/carry average but often isn't remembered for it.

Smith averaged 10 YPC in 1982, on 56 carries. This is the record YPC for 500 yards in a season, but not career.. He finished his career (not including bowls) with 1992 yards, at 6.3 YPC.

Hints.

500 yards - an All-American. Had a real nice pro career. Is (was?) a minister.
1000 yards - A bit of a one-year wonder; made all conference that one year. A native Nebraskan. Name is hard to spell
2000 yards - kind of a trick question on this one. 3 times all conference. Has been mentioned many times in this 40 some page thread.

4500 yards - Rozier

Wasn't Joel Mackovicka an academic all-american? Maybe he's our 500 yard guy.
Im not sure if he was. I'm pretty sure Dane Todd was. For All Americans, I'm talking on the field.

500 - is a Receiver.
1000 - is a QB
2000 - is a RB

Also the WR and RB were teammates. from the same home state too.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back