• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Big 12 Pac 12 Merger...

FullbackSympathy

Recruit
2 Year Member

I could see this happening, and neither of these conferences are going to care about the AAU status of its programs so there is no incentive for them not to not look out for one another.

If I'm the B1G commish, I'm grabbing KU and ISU right now and calling it good for the time being. It might water down the revenue a tad (it also might add revenue given KU bb and ISU fb), but it would boost the security of the league and add two quality academic institutions. I think the B1G needs to be aggressive and not insanely indecisive for once. We don't need to poach the PAC 12 and ruin our alliance with them, especially with the SEC looking to poach the ACC. We'll need the PAC 12 for an ally and numbers. Just grab KU and ISU and be done with it.

I could see this happening, and neither of these conferences are going to care about the AAU status of its programs so there is no incentive for them not to not look out for one another.

If I'm the B1G commish, I'm grabbing KU and ISU right now and calling it good for the time being. It might water down the revenue a tad (it also might add revenue given KU bb and ISU fb), but it would boost the security of the league and add two quality academic institutions. I think the B1G needs to be aggressive and not insanely indecisive for once. We don't need to poach the PAC 12 and ruin our alliance with them, especially with the SEC looking to poach the ACC. We'll need the PAC 12 for an ally and numbers. Just grab KU and ISU and be done with it.
I love the idea of a Pac 12-Big 10 merger.

if the BIG were gonna go after a school, other than ND, I would think Colonrado, would be it, just based on the Denver market, Nothing else in the Northeast is even enticing, I dont think syracuse adds anything, we already have rutgers, getting the nyc metro area, Kansas possibly, due the the KC market, and KU mens BB.

if the BIG were gonna go after a school, other than ND, I would think Colonrado, would be it, just based on the Denver market, Nothing else in the Northeast is even enticing, I dont think syracuse adds anything, we already have rutgers, getting the nyc metro area, Kansas possibly, due the the KC market, and KU mens BB.

I don’t think this move would be as much about markets as it would be about maintaining the status quo for the B1G and P12. We could nab a couple of decent quality schools that work geographically and academically without poaching our ally conference. The PAC could take the remaining B12 schools we don’t want. Then you’d have the PAC (18), B1G (16), SEC (16).

While the SEC raids the ACC, we keep a strong alliance with the PAC instead of burning that bridge in case a huge merger of 34 teams needs to happen. It would be a check and balance for the SEC. If we go after CU, we are back into poaching territory.

It also keeps us and the PAC in alliance with Fox which is going to be huge while ESPN is making their moves in the southeast.

Last edited:
I don’t think this move would be as much about markets as it would be about maintaining the status quo for the B1G and P12. We could nab a couple of decent quality schools that work geographically and academically without poaching our ally conference. The PAC could take the remaining B12 schools we don’t want. Then you’d have the PAC (18), B1G (16), SEC (16).

While the SEC raids the ACC, we keep a strong alliance with the PAC instead of burning that bridge in case a huge merger of 34 teams needs to happen. It would be a check and balance for the SEC. If we go after CU, we are back into poaching territory.

It also keeps us and the PAC in alliance with Fox which is going to be huge while ESPN is making their moves in the southeast.
That’s actually a really good explanation of why that could possibly happen. I don’t know if that’s how it will happen but at least you had good sound reasons. I’m not sure how USC and even Oregon are feeling right now. Adding those Big12 schools would actually decrease the revenue dollars per school. All eight remaining schools only brought in fifty percent of the conference revenue. The other fifty percent was Oklahoma and Texas. I just don’t know if the remaining schools find a home in a power 5.

The Big Ten's academic snobbery is nothing compared to the Pac-12's anti-religion snobbery.

They would never take BYU or Baylor because of their views on LGTBQ issues. Texas Christian might be able to distance themselves from their faith roots enough to appease the Pac-12 but probably not enough.

They're also fairly academically snobbish (not nearly as much as the B1G), and this is what has kept Boise State out of serious consideration in the past.

The Big Ten's academic snobbery is nothing compared to the Pac-12's anti-religion snobbery.

They would never take BYU or Baylor because of their views on LGTBQ issues. Texas Christian might be able to distance themselves from their faith roots enough to appease the Pac-12 but probably not enough.

They're also fairly academically snobbish (not nearly as much as the B1G), and this is what has kept Boise State out of serious consideration in the past.
Hey. Don't get political now. :Lol: :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Big Ten already has KC, every provider here has the B1G Network.

cant see how the B1G votes to take 2(KU/ISU) schools, one with a argubably the worst p5 football school(KU) and an avg football team(ISU) history wise and has a serious overlap in tv coverage with an existing school(hawkeyes). they would actually de-value the per team payout and open the door for michigan, OSU, penn st to entertain SEC offers.

Last edited:

cant see how the B1G votes to take 2 schools, one with a argubably the worst p5 football school and an avg football team history wise and has a serious overlap in tv coverage with an existing school. they would actually de-value the per team payout and open the door for michigan, OSU, penn st to entertain SEC offers.
If anything happens it will be westward.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back