• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Colorado to the BIG?

Husker In Oklahoma

All American
20 Year Member

Assuming that we don't go full-nuclear and condense everything into a 2-conference super league, I'd be okay with the B1G considering Colorado, Washington, Oregon and USC. It would effectively make the league bi-coastal and essentially box the SEC in, a bit. The southern US still has the best concentration of teams and I wouldn't be surprised to see Clemson, FSU and Miami make a push for the Super SEC.

Locking down Notre Dame and USC would be a pretty big boost for the Big Ten and also help us shore up west coast recruitment. The south still produces a lot of football kids, but California and Arizona do too.

Its wise for every Pac-12 team to try to join the Big 10 if the rumors about USC's interest are accurate. Otherwise they'll end up just like the Big-12 rump, with a group of teams that can't command a worthwhile media deal.

Its wise for every Pac-12 team to try to join the Big 10 if the rumors about USC's interest are accurate. Otherwise they'll end up just like the Big-12 rump, with a group of teams that can't command a worthwhile media deal.
So, you could end up with the Big 12 leftovers, combined with the PAC 12 leftovers making only 4 remaining conferences in the power 5. The BIG would stretch coast to coast. Baylor or TCU (or both) should also be explored, because of the Texas market.

Last edited:

So, conferences that identify themselves by the number of teams in the conference (B1G, PAC12, Big12, etc..), need to be dissolved because the numbers just are false. I propose the SEC, NEC, NWC, and SWC. All division 1 teams fall into one of those 4 and then divisions within each conference. Each division would produce playoff teams in a format TBD and played until we have a national champion. Maybe a champion from each of the 4 conferences and 1 at large bid for each conference, or something along those lines. There could also be playoff additions from the second tier teams as well. I don't know. Just thinking out loud here.

So, you could end up with the Big 12 leftovers, combined with the PAC 12 leftovers making only 4 remaining conferences in the power 5. The BIG would stretch coast to coast. Baylor or TCU (or both) should also be explored, because of the Texas market.
Baylor and TCU bring nothing in terms of TV market.

They were the "left behinds" of the SWC for a reason.

Similar to those thinking ISU is a "draw" just because they have a winning football program now. Nope, not enough TV sets in Iowa and they fo not have a longstanding winning tradition, heck they are always second dog to Iowa in IOWA!

This consolidation phase will be for the big dogs, big markets only, we are lucky that we are already in the BIG or with are last 10 years of performance on the field and small market, we might not qualify :(.

Baylor and TCU bring nothing in terms of TV market.

They were the "left behinds" of the SWC for a reason.

Similar to those thinking ISU is a "draw" just because they have a winning football program now. Nope, not enough TV sets in Iowa and they fo not have a longstanding winning tradition, heck they are always second dog to Iowa in IOWA!

This consolidation phase will be for the big dogs, big markets only, we are lucky that we are already in the BIG or with are last 10 years of performance on the field and small market, we might not qualify :(.
I don’t know that they bring nothing. Baylor just won the national championship in basketball. It gets you into Texas to a degree. Sure, they are both small schools, but there are plenty in Dallas that care.

If the Big Ten wants to expand into Texas, I'd be looking at TCU, Houston and Texas Tech, purely to get some geographical distribution around the state..

But for westward expansion, I'm much more interested in Colorado and USC. Maybe Oregon, Washington and Arizona State if we expand that large.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back