• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Giving Up TD's on 4th Down

HUSKER HOT SAUCE

Be Yourself - Everyone Else Is Already Taken
10 Year Member
I've been watching a lot of Huskers games last few days, and I'm simply amazed at how many TD's we've given up to teams on 4th down. At least twice in one game during the Frost era. Anybody care to do the research to see how many times we've given up a TD on 4th down since say, 2014?

I've been watching a lot of Huskers games last few days, and I'm simply amazed at how many TD's we've given up to teams on 4th down. At least twice in one game during the Frost era. Anybody care to do the research to see how many times we've given up a TD on 4th down since say, 2014?
Now that you mention it we have given up some big gashes and touchdowns on fourth down. I had no idea how many or where it would rank but I can’t think it can be good.

Sounds like you already started the research.

I think it was 10/31/98 when we gave up a 4th & 21 to Texas on their late game winning drive.

It's anecdotal but it seems we lately have a penchant for giving up 1st downs on 4th and long.

I think it was 10/31/98 when we gave up a 4th & 21 to Texas on their late game winning drive.
I was in Las Vegas when that game was played. Sketchy memory. Was it really a 4th and 21? Would that have been ballgame had NU stopped them? Ended the 47 straight at home. Crushing loss.

I was in Las Vegas when that game was played. Sketchy memory. Was it really a 4th and 21? Would that have been ballgame had NU stopped them? Ended the 47 straight at home. Crushing loss.
Yep, I was at the game. If memory serves, Major Applewhite completed a 21 yrd pass on 4th and 21 and allowed them to score the winning TD with under 3:00 left on the clock.

Yep, I was at the game. If memory serves, Major Applewhite completed a 21 yrd pass on 4th and 21 and allowed them to score the winning TD with under 3:00 left on the clock.

It was a 37-yard pass on third and 21.

A fourth-downer that springs to mind is the 1988 Fiesta Bowl. Florida State's winning TD was on fourth and goal from the 15.

We've given up a whole lot of first downs on 3rd and long too. Lack of a consistent pass rush has hurt us.
Man coverage kills us. Send all the receivers deep, get defenders to turn their backs on the quarterback, run the quarterback. Every damn time.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back