• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Texas and OU to SEC

DALLAS — Multiple sources confirmed to WFAA that the University of Texas and Oklahoma's break from the BIG 12 is imminent, and we now know at least some of the timing involved in their bid to jump to the SEC.

Early next week (Tuesday or Wednesday), both schools will jointly file a letter with the BIG 12 and say they’re not going to renew their media rights.

You are forgetting West Virginia.

Trying to be realistic if this were to go throughout, it's going to be hard to pull ACC teams. That leaves a few options if you want to expand by two teams.

Notre Dame is obviously the top choice, but they already have one foot in the ACC.

Kansas and Louisville could be interesting, adding one team to each division. From a footprint standpoint, WVU would fit well and get their travel in check.

Louisville and WVU don't really move the needle much. But then neither did Maryland and Rutgers.

Best case is we get some combination of Notre Dame, Kansas and Oklahoma. Maybe we could offload Rutgers for VT or Pitt.

Actually, in a vacuum I wouldn't mind OU and Texas in the B1G, but the Horns' administration has an established history of wrecking conferences, so screw them into oblivion.

I know this may be a long shot. But I say if OU and UT go to the SEC we try to pull Texas A&M to the BIG. that would be a great pull for us recruiting wise and A&M can keep their distance from the scum of the earth UT.
No way A&M leaves the SEC. We might turn Mizzou or Arkansas, though. They've been more pissy about their fates in the SEC.

Rutgers and Maryland were brought in completely for television audience. However, the world of sports has changed a ton in the past 10 years as more things go online, etc.. The size of one's alumni and fan base plays a bigger role than geography.

Yes, but there is a lot of overlap between TV audience of 10 years ago and those who would subscribe to online streaming today, so the TV audience isn't completely irrelevant. It's just not the best gauge. When it comes to willingness to subscribe, it's entirely possible that Nebraska outperforms a lot of closer schools in a lot of markets, like KC and Dallas.

Iowa State?? They are ranked higher academically than Nebraska.

Yes, but partly it's tied to Nebraska losing its AAU status, which is mostly related to some spiteful B1G schools forcing the change. The irony is that after we left the Big 12 for the B1G, Kansas and Missouri supported our staying in the AAU while Wisconsin and Michigan helped push us out.

Bigger than that, the B1G doesn't like adding a school like Iowa State when they already have Iowa, and Iowa is considered the flagship research university. Unless Iowa actively advocated for Iowa State to be invited, it isn't going to happen.

Last edited:
I hate ND but the B1G will need to counter the move by the SEC with an equally big move. ND will qualify. Maybe go after North Carolina and Virginia.
My guess if they were to search out someone from the east, W. Va makes more sense. While I like the two choices you named, NC especially, have a feeling their buyout would be large.

Yep, KU and ND would certainly “fit” academically and culturally while none of the other Big Twelve institutions would meet the criteria. And let’s not kid ourselves, the only reason for NU’s ”inclusion” was the football history. The academia of the B1G is why NU is regarded as the “red-headed step child” and is looked upon with disdain by the “better than thou crowd“ of the B1G membership.

NU was admitted to the well thought of group of academic institutions, on its own merits, b4 it was admitted to the big 10, and then Texas, because they were so butt hurt, did all it could to get NU pushed out. The insignificant fact that NU didnt have on campus medical school.... (its in omaha), shouldnt really be a contributing factor. Also the fact that their extensive R & D facility had to do with agriculture rather than some other scientific field, is also rather insignifcant..... but it was played up big time by Texas.... who got NU pushed out, Texas had a huge voice in that. Such bed wetters they are

I know that Texas brings TV sets....but the SEC doesnt understand what really bad partners that Texas will be, I mean really bad. You woulda thought theyda done their homework a little more. Well see what happens.

DALLAS — Multiple sources confirmed to WFAA that the University of Texas and Oklahoma's break from the BIG 12 is imminent, and we now know at least some of the timing involved in their bid to jump to the SEC.

Early next week (Tuesday or Wednesday), both schools will jointly file a letter with the BIG 12 and say they’re not going to renew their media rights.

Interesting, but roadblocks like the presumed OU/OSU must remain together laws (implied or not). I could be pretty sure that if that is the case and prevents the Sooners bolt, that the state lawmakers will meet in a hurry to wipe that off the records. They do have until 2025 to get that done.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back