• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

OU and Texas reach out to SEC

This Tweet is where I've landed: OU can likely get approval, but why would 11 SEC teams want to add Texas? A&M already opens up the state of Texas to recruiting. Texas would just make it harder to pull SEC recruits out of Texas. What would LSU gain? Likely, it would be harder to keep Louisiana recruits from heading west than it would be to attract new Texas recruits to come to Baton Rouge. It's basically the same calculus for almost every other school. Adding Oklahoma would bolster the SEC's reputation, and it brings in the Dallas, OK City, Tulsa, and several other markets. Oklahoma in the SEC without Texas would actually be in their best interest as playing A&M will immediately become an instant rivalry, and it keeps OU in the Texas footprint.

Texas makes more sense in the PAC or even the B1G. I know that some of you will blow your mind out your butt at reading that, but it's true. I think that the PAC will be their eventual landing spot because they'll be able to dictate terms much more so than either with the SEC or the B1G as the PAC is in desperate need of relevance, and adding Texas and another team in the Central time zone would help them in numerous ways.
Heads may explode here as well but I would love to have Texas and or Oklahoma in the B1G.

I don’t have one, but I remember when the Big 12 fell apart there was talk of that around here. I recall a tv interview on the local news with some state person. I just remember him saying they wouldn’t allow it. Sorry I don’t have more.
The only thing ever said was David Borden saying we would drag little brother with us. Sadly for them Borden is gone and they’re on their own.

If I'm the Pac-12, I'm looking for 4 really good teams, ASAP.

Damn the agnostic high ground, I think they offer BYU and some, combination of Big XII leftovers. Texas Tech and TCU seem like good footholds into Texas recruiting, along with maybe Oklahoma State or Baylor.

The challenge is that none of those teams (except BYU) really command a national fanbase that plays into the NIL stuff.

If the Pac-12 wanted to really stake a claim, they'd offer Oklahoma, Texas, Nebraska and BYU. It'll never happen, but that's their only power play given the geography.

If their commissioner is stupid (likely), they'll wind up with some B-list combo of Hawaii, Nevada, Fresno, etc.

If I'm the Pac-12, I'm looking for 4 really good teams, ASAP.

Damn the agnostic high ground, I think they offer BYU and some, combination of Big XII leftovers. Texas Tech and TCU seem like good footholds into Texas recruiting, along with maybe Oklahoma State or Baylor.

The challenge is that none of those teams (except BYU) really command a national fanbase that plays into the NIL stuff.

If the Pac-12 wanted to really stake a claim, they'd offer Oklahoma, Texas, Nebraska and BYU. It'll never happen, but that's their only power play given the geography.

If their commissioner is stupid (likely), they'll wind up with some B-list combo of Hawaii, Nevada, Fresno, etc.

The PAC needs teams in the Central Time Zone that would draw some national attention. Texas is ideal, but even finding a 2nd team that fits their criteria will be tough. Kansas would help with basketball, and they're an AAU member. They're NOT going to want to take schools that are private, and they will especially not want to take any schools with a religious affiliation. Houston would probably be a better candidate for them than TCU or Baylor. Iowa State with a rising program and AAU status maybe is a Hail Mary. If you want academic and in Texas, besides Texas and A&M the only other option is Rice, which actually would fit in with Stanford and Cal.

If the PAC doesn't do something, it's not crazy to think that somebody like Stanford or Cal will go the Ivy League route of playing D1 sports in everything except football, which would be non-scholarship. It's not that they can't afford it--Stanford has endowments growing in its ears--but the academic administration side of things is not going to want to see the kinds of money being spent to be competitive. When NIL dries up a bunch of sources of donations from boosters for athletic department projects, something will have to give.

The PAC needs teams in the Central Time Zone that would draw some national attention. Texas is ideal, but even finding a 2nd team that fits their criteria will be tough. Kansas would help with basketball, and they're an AAU member. They're NOT going to want to take schools that are private, and they will especially not want to take any schools with a religious affiliation. Houston would probably be a better candidate for them than TCU or Baylor. Iowa State with a rising program and AAU status maybe is a Hail Mary. If you want academic and in Texas, besides Texas and A&M the only other option is Rice, which actually would fit in with Stanford and Cal.

If the PAC doesn't do something, it's not crazy to think that somebody like Stanford or Cal will go the Ivy League route of playing D1 sports in everything except football, which would be non-scholarship. It's not that they can't afford it--Stanford has endowments growing in its ears--but the academic administration side of things is not going to want to see the kinds of money being spent to be competitive. When NIL dries up a bunch of sources of donations from boosters for athletic department projects, something will have to give.

Cal system already referred to as the "Public Ivies" as you already know. Well it was when I went there. So yeah I agree a 100% with you

ND is the best natural fit for the BIG for many valid reasons. Don't really understand why ND seems to shy away from the BIG unless they are afraid of competing against them? ND brings a truly national TV audience probably more then almost any team in the country imo. Having said that I'm not any ND fan which is putting it mildly.

As for Texaas and the Swooners joining the BIG I only have this to say..... :Puke:

The only thing ever said was David Borden saying we would drag little brother with us. Sadly for them Borden is gone and they’re on their own.
It was more than that. I wish I could find it. I looked for it. I just remember them being tied together. State funding was even in question should they split. 11 years ago, hard to find.

It was more than that. I wish I could find it. I looked for it. I just remember them being tied together. State funding was even in question should they split. 11 years ago, hard to find.
Perhaps this article will shed some light on the claim they are hooked together. According to this article that's simply not true. Goes on to explain how the system works in Oklahoma for both schools.

Oh God. Letting Texas into the old Big 8 was perhaps the biggest mistake in sports history. The Big 8 was the greatest college football conference the world had ever seen, but the Longhorns ruined it with their totally insatiable demands. I hated to see Nebraska leave the Big 12, but Texas had turned it into a total nightmare. If the SEC has any sense, it will kill this deal as quickly as possible.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back