• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Saban: Our QB is approaching 7-figures in NIL money...

DuckTownHusker

Blackshirt Sith Lord
10 Year Member
This kid has yet to play a down in college football and he's likely to become a millionaire.

Here's hoping Trev Alberts gets this figured out - FAST. If we don't have the clout of Alabama (we don't) maybe we can scrounge up enough boosters and companies who will support NU like we do have the clout of Alabama.

I keep saying it, but we gotta get ConAgra, Union Pacific, TD Ameritrade, etc., on board with this, or we find some hip, young companies who aren't afraid to make a splash in marketing. Something like paying Martinez $250k to shave his head on live TV or something stupid. Call it gimmicky (it is) but if it turns heads and makes 5* kids look at Lincoln as a destination, I'm all in at this point.

I read a comment saying that the kid could be only getting like $10k and Saban is just saying that for recruiting. Would be a pretty genius move, honestly.

Either way, perception if reality. If we can get kids thinking that a ticket to Lincoln means a ticket to stardom, so be it.

This kid has yet to play a down in college football and he's likely to become a millionaire.

Here's hoping Trev Alberts gets this figured out - FAST. If we don't have the clout of Alabama (we don't) maybe we can scrounge up enough boosters and companies who will support NU like we do have the clout of Alabama.

I keep saying it, but we gotta get ConAgra, Union Pacific, TD Ameritrade, etc., on board with this, or we find some hip, young companies who aren't afraid to make a splash in marketing. Something like paying Martinez $250k to shave his head on live TV or something stupid. Call it gimmicky (it is) but if it turns heads and makes 5* kids look at Lincoln as a destination, I'm all in at this point.

I agree with what you’re saying but maybe some different companies. Con Agra moved 95% of everything to Chicago. Most of their offices here in Omaha are empty. Same for T.D. as they’ve moved most of their people to Chicago.

I'm not a fan of NIL at all. So will recruits just follow the money now? I would like it that if a kid was on a scholarship, was getting paid and then transferred or left early they would be required to repay the school tuition for the time spent there.

Yep. Welcome to adult life, kid. If you renege on a deal, you gotta pony up.

I fully support this working both ways. If these athletes want to be raking in ridiculous money, they need to be responsible for the actions that earn them the money - whether they be good or bad. Also, I'm interested to see how the IRS handles all this.

Expect a handful of lawsuits and settlements in another year or two after these "innocent" youngsters forget to pay Uncle Sam, whether it be a truly honest mistake (many may have never held a real job before) or nefarious.

Question: When do the NIL funds become available to the athlete?

I thought I had seen that they don't get anything until they graduate / complete their eligibility.

Question: When do the NIL funds become available to the athlete?

I thought I had seen that they don't get anything until they graduate / complete their eligibility.

They can be paid immediately. As of 1 July, the NCAA suspended their amateurism rules for name, image and likeness deals.

They can be paid immediately. As of 1 July, the NCAA suspended their amateurism rules for name, image and likeness deals.

I "Like" that you answered.
I don't like the answer.

This is the end of college football as we know it is gone. I can see colleges and teams separating themselves from the NIL and keeping traditional college football which would be fine with me......

How?

That's like the school saying a student can't work part time at Subway in the evenings.

The only way that works is the school "employs" the athelete for like $1 and makes them sign a non-compete clause. It's a legal nightmare few schools want. They're better off just letting kids earn stupid amounts of money or quitting football entirely.

I personally am hoping for the latter, and we'll see a flattening of NCAAF. There are about 80 too many schools in FBS.

I said in this or another thread that I really regret my earlier stance on stipends for college athletes. I thought it was ridiculous and placed a large value on room, board, scholarship, books, apparel, etc. What I wouldn't give to go back and revisited the stipend program. This will become the wild, wild, West and I don't think we are going to like it. I would like to say all business should hold firm and not go down the route of advertising with and paying student athletes but we all know that is a pipe dream. The coming reality depresses the hell out of me as I don't think college sports will ever be the same.

I said in this or another thread that I really regret my earlier stance on stipends for college athletes. I thought it was ridiculous and placed a large value on room, board, scholarship, books, apparel, etc. What I wouldn't give to go back and revisited the stipend program. This will become the wild, wild, West and I don't think we are going to like it. I would like to say all business should hold firm and not go down the route of advertising with and paying student athletes but we all know that is a pipe dream. The coming reality depresses the hell out of me as I don't think college sports will ever be the same.
I agree with you whole heartedly, you know a stipend given to all the players with it being the same or varied by cost of living only

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back