• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Memorial Stadium

So then what do we get charged for south end zone seating row 65? Would you pay $150 a game for the cheap seats? Season tickets $1200 plus the mandatory donation of $1500 for the nose bleed section? I know many desire to be more comfortable, but are you willing to pay the price. Would love to hear from season ticket holders who are paying the price now. Would you still get season tickets for $500 more a seat to get more comfort? As for me $500 more would end it for me. I have a very comfortable seat right in front of the television which would be my new spot for games.

My granddaughter is a women’s basketball player and fan of the husker ladies basketball team. I take her to the games in PBA. The seats in there have backs and more space than memorial. At halftime though I have to get up for a stretch because I begin to hurt a little. When over 50 there really is not a good solution short of the rich guy seating. Just a sad fact of life.

There was plenty of roomy seating when I started attending games in the old 36,000 seat Memorial Stadium. We seldom had a sell out and could even still maintain the Knot Hole section. Of course most of the time in the wartime 40s we had a crummy team.

Devany is the reason we had to cramp your seating and increase your prices - he brought a winning culture back to Lincoln. Blame him.

But we sure have not had a Devaney around for the last decade, so maybe its time for the stadium to shrink in size and in the money it brings in.

Last edited:
I flew my wife and some of our kids and spouses (there were 10 of us total) back for the Troy game a couple years ago. We flew in from California and Arizona. Memorial is just old and outdated and the seats we had in the South stands were cramped and uncomfortable. With the price of travel and tickets, I wondered to myself if the cost was worth it.

I watched ASU completely revamp Sun Devil Stadium and reduce seating by about 35%. It is completely updated and looks completely different. Now they did not have sell-out streaks to worry about, but the new stadium is really comfortable and updated. If ASU can do that - so can NU.

I will say losing to Troy made the seats even more uncomfortable.:mad:

Last edited:

NU could definitely do some things to improve comfort and the in-stadium experience. However, the main change I would like to see as a season ticket holder (South End Zone) is a winning team. I would be willing to continue putting up with some of the inconveniences if we weren't losing 3 or 4 home games every year. The stadium seemed a lot more "comfortable" in the 80s and 90s when we were winning ~90% of our home games.

The "bench seat" size at DONU has not changed since I started going in 1964.

The average keister size in Nebraska has most certainly changed since that time as my seat had become increasingly uncomfortable.

Anyone "in the know" bought the portable seat back to stake out room for himself/herself. Don't know if they still rent those as I quit going to games about 15 years ago.

Regardless of the sell out streak issues, DONU would be well served to improve the game experience as we older, "die hard" fans who will sit on the benches, are indeed dying.

If they are to get replacement young fans they will need to improve the game experience with bench seats, better restrooms, libations, and other amenities that these fans will expect, not corn liquor in a brown bag :).

I think that the new AD is up to this challenge.

GBR
God in heaven knows I hope you are right.Keep the faith.GBR.

The rented chair backs are tough on the person sitting directly behind.
The rented chairs are horrible, except for the person using them, they "protect" a space for your butt.

The rented chairs are a marker for the need for long standing need for true seats.......

PS: My elderly Mom loved hers :)

Last edited:
And put your knees into the person in front of you.
That's why I asked about the row spacing. Is it standard,. It seems tight
Good question. For stadiums built or expanded in the 1960s or before, I suspect the row spacing was fairly standard for the time. It's not how you would design or build it today if you were starting from scratch.

My question would be how about the distance between the rows? Is it standard? It seams tight. When you add chair backs, it's almost unnavigatable.
It is not. Different (wider) in other parts of the stadium, including where some of the more modern upgrades have been.

Edit - guess this could vary, based on how standard is defined. It's not in line with other seats in the stadium, or other modern stadiums currently, but may have been the norm for its time.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back