• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

QB Richard Torres is N

Show me. To date, this staff’s QB evaluation has not been great, other than Vedral as a backup and he didn’t stay. Adrian Martinez is a turnover machine. Luke McCaffrey isn’t a P5 QB. Smothers arm isn’t real strong and did not look as fast as I thought he would Haarberg has some upside but he was under 60% passing in high school and was the 2nd best QB in the state.

I think you will probably have to show your credentials at evaluating QB's before I can take your broad stroke judgments on our QB's as gospel. LM played QB for two games. I think we may be a little short on data sets to be making any conclusions regarding what he can and can't do.

Smothers not looking as fast as you thought he would isn't that helpful of a measuring tool. All of the QB's looked plenty fast to me during the Spring game, FWIW. But my perceptions are also not very meaningful. Perhaps they thought they could make him a better passer and it was his athleticism that they were recruiting.

Haarberg has some upside you say. That's a positive and by definition suggests the ability to evaluate. Concluding that our coaches can't evaluate talent because his HS passing was less than 60% and he was the 2nd best QB in the state is puzzling to me. I don't even know what to make of it. I would hope their evaluation went much deeper than those data points. His performance in the Spring game seemed rather promising to me. Again, my perception is not that meaningful and it was just a Spring game.

The only QB that fans have enough data points to judge at this point is AM. Based on his first year's playing, I don't think you can fault the coaches for their evaluation of his abilities. He was touted as a Heisman candidate after his freshman campaign. Here's a reminder of some of the things he has done here at NU:

Nebraska Records
» Career 300-Yard Total Offense Games (13)
» Career 400-Yard Total Offense Games (5)
» Season Total Offensive Yards Per Game (295.1 in 2018)
» Season Completion Percentage (71.5 in 2020)
» Season 400-Yard Total Offense Games (3 in 2018)
» Season 300-Yard Total Offense Games (7 in 2018)
» Game Completion Percentage [min. 20 att.] (90.0 at Iowa in 2020)
» Freshman Completions (224 in 2018)
» Freshman Completion Percentage (64.6% in 2018)
» Freshman Passing Yards (2,617 in 2018)
» Freshman Total Offensive Yards (3,246)
» Freshman Passing Touchdowns (17)
» Freshman Total Touchdowns (25)

Its hard to argue he lacks talent at QB. I think a better case could be made that they haven't done a great job of developing AM's abilities in year two and three. But even that could be debated given there are other factors that reduced AM's effectiveness. (porous offensive line, small number of receiving threats, loss of Ozigbo, loss of S. Morgan, injuries, and recruiting strategies that resulted in mass attrition with little production.) The decision to put more weight on AM to make him more durable probably made sense at the time. But it turned out to be a negative factor in his performance since then. He seems to have slimmed down over the Winter and that could put him back in good form for the fall season.

Hopefully, the recruiting of Torres indicates a shift to recruiting strong passers who can run rather than strong runners who can pass.

I think you will probably have to show your credentials at evaluating QB's before I can take your broad stroke judgments on our QB's as gospel. LM played QB for two games. I think we may be a little short on data sets to be making any conclusions regarding what he can and can't do.

Smothers not looking as fast as you thought he would isn't that helpful of a measuring tool. All of the QB's looked plenty fast to me during the Spring game, FWIW. But my perceptions are also not very meaningful. Perhaps they thought they could make him a better passer and it was his athleticism that they were recruiting.

Haarberg has some upside you say. That's a positive and by definition suggests the ability to evaluate. Concluding that our coaches can't evaluate talent because his HS passing was less than 60% and he was the 2nd best QB in the state is puzzling to me. I don't even know what to make of it. I would hope their evaluation went much deeper than those data points. His performance in the Spring game seemed rather promising to me. Again, my perception is not that meaningful and it was just a Spring game.

The only QB that fans have enough data points to judge at this point is AM. Based on his first year's playing, I don't think you can fault the coaches for their evaluation of his abilities. He was touted as a Heisman candidate after his freshman campaign. Here's a reminder of some of the things he has done here at NU:

Nebraska Records

Its hard to argue he lacks talent at QB. I think a better case could be made that they haven't done a great job of developing AM's abilities in year two and three. But even that could be debated given there are other factors that reduced AM's effectiveness. (porous offensive line, small number of receiving threats, loss of Ozigbo, loss of S. Morgan, injuries, and recruiting strategies that resulted in mass attrition with little production.) The decision to put more weight on AM to make him more durable probably made sense at the time. But it turned out to be a negative factor in his performance since then. He seems to have slimmed down over the Winter and that could put him back in good form for the fall season.

Hopefully, the recruiting of Torres indicates a shift to recruiting strong passers who can run rather than strong runners who can pass.
Well put

Nebraska Records

Love this post! You did your homework!!

personaly, I would take a strong thrower that can run some, over a strong runner that can throw some. they will get you farther than the other.
In this system yes. I think some fans are reminiscing about TOs offense, where it didnt matter as much, and running was the more desired trait.

In this system, the onus is on passing, then running, and getting excellence at both, look to Okie, bama etc.
RT has a great arm, great accuracy, and a build that makes it harder for defensive players to alter passes, strip etc.
You need to add those attributes as well.

In this system yes. I think some fans are reminiscing about TOs offense, where it didnt matter as much, and running was the more desired trait.

In this system, the onus is on passing, then running, and getting excellence at both, look to Okie, bama etc.
RT has a great arm, great accuracy, and a build that makes it harder for defensive players to alter passes, strip etc.
You need to add those attributes as well.
it did matter, Mickey Joseph, Mike Grant vs Brook Berringer, Tommie Frazier (not the best example had a rifle without a scope), heck we had plenty of run first QBs that could throw a little and we won, but when push came to shove, we struggled, only Coach Frost was able to overcome it. And being so run heavy that the tight end drag killed people isn't a good example. So, yes in todays world I will stick to what I believe. But back then, in the mid to late 80's, very early 90's, just think of what could have been.

it did matter, Mickey Joseph, Mike Grant vs Brook Berringer, Tommie Frazier (not the best example had a rifle without a scope), heck we had plenty of run first QBs that could throw a little and we won, but when push came to shove, we struggled, only Coach Frost was able to overcome it. And being so run heavy that the tight end drag killed people isn't a good example. So, yes in todays world I will stick to what I believe. But back then, in the mid to late 80's, very early 90's, just think of what could have been.
Of course it matters ,better is better.
But Tommie was the starter for the most part.
Same scenario, a much better passer beats out a better running AM IF his replacement can move the chains with his feet.

I think this isnt a big mystery to SF and staff.
I'll never forget that Miami shutout

Northwood, we aren't fighting, I just want Steve Young at QB, and I just vomited in my mouth typing that, accurate, strong arm, and had the ability to run for the first down and more. OK if we have to have an NU version, Brook , because he got "us". lol

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back