• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Luke McCaffrey Leaves Louisville

I'm waiting for someone to say that Frost is driving West on I-80 to go talk to the McCaffrey's, a la Solich going to Omaha to get Crouch back.

I think Luke is going to be really good for someone, but probably not at QB. Whoever guessed at his "late puberty" is right, IMO. He looks super coltish -- longish, skinny arms, big hands and feet. I think he'll be like his brother Christian and get thick in his '20's. I would like to see Luke come back, stand in front of the Unity Council and ask for another chance. Then he could work his ass off as a prelude to KICKING ASSES.
Good post and I agree. I also wouldn't mind seeing Luke back at Nebraska, but with the understanding that even if he wants to stay at QB, he will probably do some slot WR/RB, ala Bobby Newcombe while Crouch was at Nebraska.

To play Devil's advocate, if Luke somehow did come back to NU, and if he were to stay, at least in name, at QB, who portals out amongst the QB's already on the roster? I would guess Smothers. But I think this is all theoretical as I doubt he comes back to NU.

Says who? Stupidest coaching move ever to start a guy at qb you know is worse and can’t perform. You will never hear SF say he did it to prove a point to Am. This sounds like a narrative put together by all the people who called for LM and now want to justify how wrong they were.
You’re completely missing the point. No worries.

I think he’s trying to say that Frost benched Martinez for his poor play. This happens all the time in sports. You go to the backup to see if he can light a spark. Sometimes a kid needs to be benched for a series or a game to get his head straight. It can be beneficial at times. Martinez was struggling at times last year. I agree with you that it wasn’t all his fault but the struggles still happened.
Right. And there was no reason to believe the backup, in this case McCaffrey, wouldn’t lead us to victory. Which in fact he did. Go back and watch just the first drive of that PSU game. McCaffrey looked outstanding. It’s on YouTube btw.

Some people are just locked into this idea that to bench Martinez one has to believe McCaffrey was going to take over permanently. That’s nonsense. And others just want to grind that axe. So be it.

Better yet, treat the media the same way Dr Tom did, worked well for 27+ years.

I don't think Frost treats the media poorly. I do think there are some things he has said that he wishes he could take back, for sure. But if he gives more insight into things, fans criticize him. If he gives the coach speak answers like "best week of practice", fans criticize him.

You’re completely missing the point. No worries.
You said AM got benched for not meeting expectations. I’d like to know who said that is the reason. It seems pretty stupid to do that to a QB when none of his surrounding cast were meeting expectations either so either that isn’t the reason or we got a head coach catering to bitchy fans. That is the only point I see.

You said AM got benched for not meeting expectations. I’d like to know who said that is the reason. It seems pretty stupid to do that to a QB when none of his surrounding cast were meeting expectations either so either that isn’t the reason or we got a head coach catering to bitchy fans. That is the only point I see.
So you think so little of Frost that you believe he would bench Martinez to cater to us the fans? I think it was pretty obvious to everyone around the country that Martinez was struggling. He was making bad decisions and turning the ball over. He was throwing swing passes or sideline passes that went backwards and where fumble. He was letting up on runs giving up on extra yards. Frost actually chewed his butt after he went out of bounds on a third down play where he could have lowered his shoulder and got the extra yard. We both want Martinez to succeed but he wasn’t playing good. That’s not just us fans saying that it’s every sports show, writer , and radio host out there.

I think he’s trying to say that Frost benched Martinez for his poor play. This happens all the time in sports. You go to the backup to see if he can light a spark. Sometimes a kid needs to be benched for a series or a game to get his head straight. It can be beneficial at times. Martinez was struggling at times last year. I agree with you that it wasn’t all his fault but the struggles still happened.
We've all seen games where the starters pulled, backup comes in, then he gets pulled and starter comes back in.
Now thats a mess a HC has created, as the backup 'blows' his chance, the starter knows confidence from the coach is shot etc.
Pure CFB theatre there

If he was meeting expectations do you think he gets benched? So that’s pretty obvious. You’re not making a reasonable point, you’re just grinding that axe. We’ll just have to disagree. I thought then and still think Martinez needed to be benched. You think otherwise, and that Frost apparently did it to appease fans. Ok.

If he was meeting expectations do you think he gets benched? So that’s pretty obvious. You’re not making a reasonable point, you’re just grinding that axe. We’ll just have to disagree. I thought then and still think Martinez needed to be benched. You think otherwise, and that Frost apparently did it to appease fans. Ok.
Yeah I 100% don’t believe our coach benched his starter because the fans wanted it. I don’t believe any coach would do that. This argument has gotten ridiculous.

I’ve got enough sense as well as most people in leadership roles that participate on this board to not say the things this head coach has said. To defend his repeated gaffs makes you a homer. Whether you want to admit it or not you know Riley wouldn’t have got a free pass with those kind of remarks.
What remarks are you referring too? You know nothing about what happens behind the doors of this program. You know nothing about what is said behind the doors of this program. You seem to only see one thing...that our HC is inadequate. You're damn right I'm a homer...I love Nebraska football and SF is the HC. I'll support him until his is no longer our HC. In the meantime, guys like you spend all your time hacking away at a keyboard trying to sound like critical thinkers when all I hear is malcontents.

He said it was due to an ailing mom. That is why I said. "ne (WanDale) went home because of his mother (what he said) in my original post. Did he save us some face? IMO, absolutely. But, while his mom was a factor, and how we were using him was another part of the equation, I believe his dad (and the people in his dad's ear) were the biggest factors. You know all the talk about tampering with players not even in the portal yet? About how coaches/staffs are using players "friends, family, and HS coaches" to gauge interest in whether a player would portal out if the school they are at would offer them a schollie? Yeah, I am sure that happened but that is JMO.

Per the bolded part of your comment, the article just posted on the main page would say you are not entirely correct. Yes, we have lost a few playmakers and a lot of potential but for every WanDale that has left, i.e. a major contributor, 5 Will Farniak's have left, i.e. though good depth, mainly non-contributors. Yes, there is potential players who left who could be world beaters, but at what level? The one who went to Toledo? I am sure he can put up big numbers playing the weaker than P5 schools he will now face. Same with all the ones who went to the UCF's, FAU, USF, FIU, Tulsa, Western KY, Louisiana, etc. Avery Roberts has proved to be a stud while Spielman has been a bust at TCU (I know, he was injured but the 3 game she played he had like 5 catches for 56 yards).
That’s certainly a fair post and I can agree with a lot of it. I put way more emphasis on the direction of the program and how we were using Wandale than his mother in his transfer decision. It’s just my opinion but had we been winning and he is happy, he’s still here today. Spielman was obviously unhappy and even though he didn’t do anything at TCU he did with us and that’s all that I really care about. What could he have meant to our team. At the end of the day I think this is a seven or eight win team this year and I acknowledge that frost is still learning on the job. I just believe he has a long ways to go on the things other than the X’s and O’s I don’t deny that there was a culture problem I’m just not sure the guy in charge wasn’t responsible for a good portion of it.

What remarks are you referring too? You know nothing about what happens behind the doors of this program. You know nothing about what is said behind the doors of this program. You seem to only see one thing...that our HC is inadequate. You're damn right I'm a homer...I love Nebraska football and SF is the HC. I'll support him until his is no longer our HC. In the meantime, guys like you spend all your time hacking away at a keyboard trying to sound like critical thinkers when all I hear is malcontents.
You might want to ask yourself why myself or anyone would want to see Scott Frost fail. I don’t and my guess is no one on this board does. Had it been anyone else my opinion would be a lot more popular and I suspect it would be open season for the coach if he came in from the outside such as Riley or Callahan. Since he’s family in your opinion any criticism seems to be off-limits and if you’re not blowing smoke up the coaches ass you’re not a husker supporter, a malcontent, and someone that doesn’t have the ability to see or point out obvious issues. Believe it or not at the end of the day I hope you are correct and I am just full of crap. I don’t suspect that’s going to be the case though.

Last edited:

Says who? Stupidest coaching move ever to start a guy at qb you know is worse and can’t perform. You will never hear SF say he did it to prove a point to Am. This sounds like a narrative put together by all the people who called for LM and now want to justify how wrong they were.
Maybe taking a page out of the Callahan playbook when he threw Beau Davis in against Texas Tech.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back