• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Luke McCaffrey Leaves Louisville

I'm waiting for someone to say that Frost is driving West on I-80 to go talk to the McCaffrey's, a la Solich going to Omaha to get Crouch back.

I think Luke is going to be really good for someone, but probably not at QB. Whoever guessed at his "late puberty" is right, IMO. He looks super coltish -- longish, skinny arms, big hands and feet. I think he'll be like his brother Christian and get thick in his '20's. I would like to see Luke come back, stand in front of the Unity Council and ask for another chance. Then he could work his ass off as a prelude to KICKING ASSES.
Like you said skinny kid that hasn’t filled out yet. He will eventually. I agree that he’ll help some team at some point.

Here is the funny thing. You are absolutely correct. He doesn’t need to be mahomes. Just adequate if he has all the other things. But back to the funny. AM is a strong passer. Much so than Luke probably will ever be but isn’t given the supporting cast you mentioned and fans still blame him and defend Luke. Amazing that they can’t rationalize the differences.
One doesn’t have to compare the two to conclude that Martinez has had his share of issues. Hell, he didn’t get benched because the backup was better than him. Martinez was benched because he wasn’t performing up to expectations or his potential.

I think a lot of that is recency bias though. AM was the 3rd year returning starter, who had struggled his sophomore year (albeit not all his fault). And here's the young kid with the famous last name, and he comes in and wins his first start. I think fans are always harder on the starting qb and always defensive of the backup. But I agree with you and I think AM will go down in Husker lore as one of the more underappreciated quarterbacks ever.
He's got a ways to go before he unseats the other Martinez....

Per bolded, I kind of agree but what this really does it show that when WanDale and then Luke transferred, people were all up in arms about Frost. Now, it can be seen as WanDale going back home to Kentucky to be with his ailing (at the time anyway) mother and that Luke was a "in the moment" transfer that wasn't thought out. Anytime a program (coach) loses a "top player" to the portal, people wonder. Luke's decision to leave Louisville does make Frost look a bit "vindicated", especially after only 1 week at Louisville and not even attending an actual football practice. And a list came out yesterday showing that Nebraska is no longer leading the B1G in players portalling out (took walk-ons off the list) and, with everything else being said, where it seemed Nebraska led the nation in players portalling out, we are now pretty much in the norm now.

What I am trying to say, with all my rambling, is that Frost isn't losing top players cause of anything he is or isn't doing, every college is losing players to this portal monster. And Luke's decisions since February is showing how badly thought out the portal is. But it does, many in a miniscule way, vindicate Frost. One (WanDale) went home because of his mother (what he said) and one (Luke) is wishy-washy. The others? Some never came here, some played a bit but then suddenly left (Fleming?) and the rest were non-contributors.
Did Wandale leave Nebraska due to an ailing mother or did he allow us to save a bit of face? You can use words like vindicated or everyone else is dealing with the portal but the common theme from those getting paid to comment on this is Nebraska is losing in the transfer/portal game.

At the time, Martinez was struggling and the team needed a spark. McCaffrey came in and did that against PSU. Martinez performed better when he got the role back. I think the mistake was starting LM the following game.

I interpreted Frosts "the future at QB" as a nice way of saying "now is not LM's time"
If we can’t figure out what Scott Frost is trying to say do you think the players can?

Finally glad to see someone with some credibility on this board acknowledging what kind of arm strength it takes to throw the sideline pattern. So many people saying AM he can’t complete a pass over 15 yards. I’ll add one more thing in regards to pick-6’s. The sideline pass is the most dangerous for those especially with a weak arm. AM has done a remarkable job of not throwing interceptions on that play.

AM has the arm strength, but he has a difficult time putting the proper arc on passes that need it. I don't know if he ever played baseball, but a lot of pitchers with great arm strength can nail all of their throws, but at every level short of the NFL, a lot of times their receivers can't catch the ball. AM has a bit of "the yips" with those throws. If you're old enough to remember Chuck Knoblauch being incapable of throwing a ball accurately to 1st base from 30' away, he often did fine when he barely had enough time and just had to use muscle memory and instinct, but he almost always choked when he had time to think about it before throwing to first. It's often the same with good QBs when they need to throw touch-passes, like Swing Passes, screens, and deep fly patterns. It compounded the problem that AM was often throwing to short WRs who had a relatively limited catch-radius.

If AM has a strong O-line and running game to carry the bulk of the load, and he has time to throw, he'll be a different QB. He might still struggle with the yips on those touch-passes though. He will at least have a lot of larger targets, and a little success early can go a long way.

If we can’t figure out what Scott Frost is trying to say do you think the players can?
I'm guessing at their age they're not sitting around trying to dissect everything he says and trying to find some deeper meaning like we are, especially something said that long ago. Hopefully his message is clear in the locker room. I care more about that then what he says in pressers.

Sorry I don’t buy. If you’re a competitor and you’re in the quarterback room and hoping to play just like McCaffrey is you are probably floored by the comment. It would certainly send a message to prospective quarterback recruits as well and don’t think for a minute it wouldn’t come up on the recruiting trail.

AM has the arm strength, but he has a difficult time putting the proper arc on passes that need it. I don't know if he ever played baseball, but a lot of pitchers with great arm strength can nail all of their throws, but at every level short of the NFL, a lot of times their receivers can't catch the ball. AM has a bit of "the yips" with those throws. If you're old enough to remember Chuck Knoblauch being incapable of throwing a ball accurately to 1st base from 30' away, he often did fine when he barely had enough time and just had to use muscle memory and instinct, but he almost always choked when he had time to think about it before throwing to first. It's often the same with good QBs when they need to throw touch-passes, like Swing Passes, screens, and deep fly patterns. It compounded the problem that AM was often throwing to short WRs who had a relatively limited catch-radius.

If AM has a strong O-line and running game to carry the bulk of the load, and he has time to throw, he'll be a different QB. He might still struggle with the yips on those touch-passes though. He will at least have a lot of larger targets, and a little success early can go a long way.
Ive noticed AM has those 'hes open/middle slant' bang bang throws that amaze, squeezing it in between a backer and a dropping down safety, no time for yips there

Who's we? Are you smarter than the players?
I’ve got enough sense as well as most people in leadership roles that participate on this board to not say the things this head coach has said. To defend his repeated gaffs makes you a homer. Whether you want to admit it or not you know Riley wouldn’t have got a free pass with those kind of remarks.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back