• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Luke McCaffrey Leaves Louisville

I don’t think you did say that. Some posters have taken that stance. Some others took the vindicated stance. I’m taking the it is irrelevant stance. Doesn’t really have anything to do with Fosty at this point. I’m trying to be more mature. I keep my stupid
Thank you for the mature reply. Please point out where I said this makes Scott look bad. I simply responded to a post that said this actually makes him look good or vindicated. My point being that people will go to the extremes to defend everything Scott does. And some folks on this board take it awfully personal when we're not blowing sunshine up Scott's butt on a 24/7 basis.
Per bolded, I kind of agree but what this really does it show that when WanDale and then Luke transferred, people were all up in arms about Frost. Now, it can be seen as WanDale going back home to Kentucky to be with his ailing (at the time anyway) mother and that Luke was a "in the moment" transfer that wasn't thought out. Anytime a program (coach) loses a "top player" to the portal, people wonder. Luke's decision to leave Louisville does make Frost look a bit "vindicated", especially after only 1 week at Louisville and not even attending an actual football practice. And a list came out yesterday showing that Nebraska is no longer leading the B1G in players portalling out (took walk-ons off the list) and, with everything else being said, where it seemed Nebraska led the nation in players portalling out, we are now pretty much in the norm now.

What I am trying to say, with all my rambling, is that Frost isn't losing top players cause of anything he is or isn't doing, every college is losing players to this portal monster. And Luke's decisions since February is showing how badly thought out the portal is. But it does, many in a miniscule way, vindicate Frost. One (WanDale) went home because of his mother (what he said) and one (Luke) is wishy-washy. The others? Some never came here, some played a bit but then suddenly left (Fleming?) and the rest were non-contributors.

Per bolded, I kind of agree but what this really does it show that when WanDale and then Luke transferred, people were all up in arms about Frost. Now, it can be seen as WanDale going back home to Kentucky to be with his ailing (at the time anyway) mother and that Luke was a "in the moment" transfer that wasn't thought out. Anytime a program (coach) loses a "top player" to the portal, people wonder. Luke's decision to leave Louisville does make Frost look a bit "vindicated", especially after only 1 week at Louisville and not even attending an actual football practice. And a list came out yesterday showing that Nebraska is no longer leading the B1G in players portalling out (took walk-ons off the list) and, with everything else being said, where it seemed Nebraska led the nation in players portalling out, we are now pretty much in the norm now.

What I am trying to say, with all my rambling, is that Frost isn't losing top players cause of anything he is or isn't doing, every college is losing players to this portal monster. And Luke's decisions since February is showing how badly thought out the portal is. But it does, many in a miniscule way, vindicate Frost. One (WanDale) went home because of his mother (what he said) and one (Luke) is wishy-washy. The others? Some never came here, some played a bit but then suddenly left (Fleming?) and the rest were non-contributors.
You said it better than I could Agree 100%

Where oh where are all the posters here that wanted LM to be the starter ahead of AM?

Fot that matter, what was HCSF thinking when he said that LM was "the future at QB here"?
At the time, Martinez was struggling and the team needed a spark. McCaffrey came in and did that against PSU. Martinez performed better when he got the role back. I think the mistake was starting LM the following game.

I interpreted Frosts "the future at QB" as a nice way of saying "now is not LM's time"

That article also talks about LM needing to make his decision by July 1 to take advantage of the transfer rule. However, wouldn't he have already used up that one-time free transfer when he went to Louisville? Unless he wants to sit a year, I think he will have to go FCS.
Northern Colorado Bears.
  • Luke was born and raised in Colorado
  • Father & son relationship. Ed McCaffrey is a Bears HC. Also Luke's brother, serves as the wide receivers coach at N.Colorado.
However .....
Dylan McCaffrey (another Luke's brother) was a four-star quarterback for Valor Christian who graduated in 2017. His team won the Colorado Class 5A state championship (5A being the highest of the five classes) in three of the four years he played. As the second-ranked quarterback in the country and top-ranked quarterback in Colorado, Dylan received scholarship offers from Duke, Colorado, Rutgers, LSU, Michigan, Washington, UCLA, Colorado State and Penn State.[11] He committed to play college football at Michigan in February 2016.[12] In January 2021, he announced his transfer to Northern Colorado.[13]

Last edited:

At the time, Martinez was struggling and the team needed a spark. McCaffrey came in and did that against PSU. Martinez performed better when he got the role back. I think the mistake was starting LM the following game.

I interpreted Frosts "the future at QB" as a nice way of saying "now is not LM's time"
Agree, except I was okay stating LM against Illinois. But Frost should have reinserted Martinez no later than the start of the second half. Martinez had sat a game and part of another, enough to get the message. And as many of us have pointed out, Martinez played better after being benched.

Some people keep making that benching all about LM. It wasn’t. It was about Martinez

Bielema needs some talent. Hell, if I was him, I’d take a chance and reach out. Kid is obviously a really good athlete. Couldn’t hurt anything on their part.

Agree, except I was okay stating LM against Illinois. But Frost should have reinserted Martinez no later than the start of the second half. Martinez had sat a game and part of another, enough to get the message. And as many of us have pointed out, Martinez played better after being benched.

Some people keep making that benching all about LM. It wasn’t. It was about Martinez
Was it all about Martinez? Maybe AM played better after the fabricated threat of an unqualified LM breathing down his neck was gone. You do notice that we rarely had situational LM after he was benched. It’s possible SF was forcing LM and making the situation uncomfortable.

Here is the funny thing. You are absolutely correct. He doesn’t need to be mahomes. Just adequate if he has all the other things. But back to the funny. AM is a strong passer. Much so than Luke probably will ever be but isn’t given the supporting cast you mentioned and fans still blame him and defend Luke. Amazing that they can’t rationalize the differences.

I think a lot of that is recency bias though. AM was the 3rd year returning starter, who had struggled his sophomore year (albeit not all his fault). And here's the young kid with the famous last name, and he comes in and wins his first start. I think fans are always harder on the starting qb and always defensive of the backup. But I agree with you and I think AM will go down in Husker lore as one of the more underappreciated quarterbacks ever.

amen

I really don’t think this LM situation makes Frost look good or bad. It really doesn’t have anything to do with Frost. This is just a kid that needs to figure out what he wants and work for it. Seems no one wants to work nowadays. I don’t know how this turned into a Frost is right or vindicated thing. I think Frost really wanted to keep LM here. Sometimes with 19 year old kids stuff doesn’t work out.
I'm waiting for someone to say that Frost is driving West on I-80 to go talk to the McCaffrey's, a la Solich going to Omaha to get Crouch back.

I think Luke is going to be really good for someone, but probably not at QB. Whoever guessed at his "late puberty" is right, IMO. He looks super coltish -- longish, skinny arms, big hands and feet. I think he'll be like his brother Christian and get thick in his '20's. I would like to see Luke come back, stand in front of the Unity Council and ask for another chance. Then he could work his ass off as a prelude to KICKING ASSES.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back