• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Luke McCaffrey Leaves Louisville

If a coach calls a kid "the future" and that kid runs off..it reflects on the kid, not the coach.
How so? I think it can equally reflect on both of them. The coach for being wrong and the kid for not staying to make himself the future.

So, the NCAA passed the one time free transfer back in April. Since Luke has now used up his freebie, that means he would have to sit a year for his 2nd transfer, right? (Barring an exception or waiver, of course)
Another reason why I think he will need to drop down and go to Northern Colorado or someplace similar.

Last edited:
How so? I think it can equally reflect on both of them. The coach for being wrong and the kid for not staying to make himself the future.
It would only be conjecture, is that allowed? Really not sure...lol. But If Frost was trying to change him over to a different position, or promising to start him more, or since covid disallowed press coverage of practices and we didn't get reports, were there maybe weeks that Luke outperformed Adrian and didn't get the start? Sure, there are ways for Scott being wrong in his handling, but we don't know and Luke has respectfully been mum. His current portal status points to Luke not wanting to wait.

It would only be conjecture, is that allowed? Really not sure...lol. But If Frost was trying to change him over to a different position, or promising to start him more, or since covid disallowed press coverage of practices and we didn't get reports, were there maybe weeks that Luke outperformed Adrian and didn't get the start? Sure, there are ways for Scott being wrong in his handling, but we don't know and Luke has respectfully been mum. His current portal status points to Luke not wanting to wait.
I don't get the idea that Frost wanted him to change positions. I mean LM did just start a few games at QB for us so I don't think there was talk about moving him.

Totally agreed on LM not wanting to wait. He got his shot to prove he's the man and didn't outperform AM. That meant he was leaving.

I think bringing him in only as a QB (a guess on my part but it seems likely given LM's two transfers) was a mistake...or at least it was taking a chance on a guy being willing to move to another position or that Mario could take him and mold him into a QB stud.

Mistake might have been a bit harsh of a word but he was a recruiting miss for sure at this point.
He is and obviously was an outstanding athlete I don’t see any harm in offering a scholarship with the understanding that he’d be given every chance to play QB. I believe he’d be a Heisman candidate at QB in the wishbone but I don’t see anyone running it anymore perhaps Army and Navy are the only two who run anything close to it today.
He certainly has made it a little difficult for himself unless he was contacted by a program that has promised him a starting job. However if that’s the case it has to be a questionable program at best. Good luck to him he’s an outstanding athlete and hopefully he’ll make better decisions moving forward.

I don't get the idea that Frost wanted him to change positions. I mean LM did just start a few games at QB for us so I don't think there was talk about moving him.

Totally agreed on LM not wanting to wait. He got his shot to prove he's the man and didn't outperform AM. That meant he was leaving.
I’m fairly confident there where discussions about him moving to receiver. Obviously that’s all speculation though.

I was surprised when LM ended up at a power 5 school as a QB. My guess is there was some miscommunication between him and Coach Satterfield. LM opting to not enter the portal until the spring semester had started was also a big mistake.

My take?

LM waits till after spring semester starts so he A) is still on scholarship and B) can collect stipend, room and board, etc. He then enters the portal, talks to L'Ville who tells he'd have the opportunity to be a starting QB. Coach Satterfield meant it too, but without LM participating in spring ball he had no reason not to name Cunningham the starter. Satterfield may have even approached LM about a new position. LM felt that he was coming in to have a chance to start at QB this year, so he felt he'd been sold a bill of goods. As a result, back to the portal.

I guess I had completely forgotten about this:
McCaffrey played only intermittently the rest of the 2020 season and declined to participate in the Rutgers game, taking off his pads after warmups.

Unless there is some underlying story there that isn't obvious, that is pretty bush-league, to travel with the team and then decide right before the game that you aren't going to play.

Unless there is some underlying story there that isn't obvious, that is pretty bush-league, to travel with the team and then decide right before the game that you aren't going to play.
I had forgotten about that as well. That is crap unless something happened that hasn't been discussed.

Let's just say it wasn't an injury.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back