• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Luke McCaffrey Leaves Louisville

It wasn't discussed in any form at all nor will it be by me
giphy.gif

I guess I didn't read what I thought I'd read.

I wouldn't say it reflects poorly on Frost but it certainly doesn't vindicate him either. It's was a recruiting mistake coupled with a starting him as QB mistake as well. The comment is an issue IMO because I think he was placating LM's ego and should have been more discrete about it.

Maybe you're right and the comment was more vague than I'm remembering it.

How was it a recruiting mistake? A dynamic athlete who, if he didn't work out at QB, would have been a multi-year starter at some other position. He transferred for whatever reason (probably because he got benched for Martinez), and judging by what transpired at Louisville, Frost doesn't seem to be the issue. I don't think this "vindicates" Frost because there was nothing for him to be vindicated for.

How was it a recruiting mistake? A dynamic athlete who, if he didn't work out at QB, would have been a multi-year starter at some other position. He transferred for whatever reason (probably because he got benched for Martinez), and judging by what transpired at Louisville, Frost doesn't seem to be the issue. I don't think this "vindicates" Frost because there was nothing for him to be vindicated for.
I think bringing him in only as a QB (a guess on my part but it seems likely given LM's two transfers) was a mistake...or at least it was taking a chance on a guy being willing to move to another position or that Mario could take him and mold him into a QB stud.

Mistake might have been a bit harsh of a word but he was a recruiting miss for sure at this point.

Great point.

I suppose we could relitigate the entire Luke McCaffrey saga at NU, but regardless of if SF made any mistakes on how he handled or talked about LM while he was here, he certainly seemed to adjust/correct by reducing Luke's role & allowing him to leave, rather than give him what he wanted to stay.

Quite a few on this board were quick to indict SF for LM's departure, and say that LM leaving was a problem. Now the story for some is shifting to say that the problem was SF promoting the guy too heavily. You're entitled to one of those viewpoints, but not both. If you were criticizing Frost for failure to keep LM around, this certainly vindicates SF from that particular storyline.

Personally, I was excited to get LM as a recruit, knew he had deficiencies, but thought his potential was exciting. Guess it wasn't worth it, but not many around here were criticizing accepting his commitment either. Ideally Frost & Co. would have made that evaluation on the front side, but if LM is what his actions are indicating, glad it was figured out sooner rather than later.

After your garbage post earlier in this thread, the post above vindicates you.

I think bringing him in only as a QB (a guess on my part but it seems likely given LM's two transfers) was a mistake...or at least it was taking a chance on a guy being willing to move to another position or that Mario could take him and mold him into a QB stud.

Mistake might have been a bit harsh of a word but he was a recruiting miss for sure at this point.

Sure, any guy that transfers out or doesn't pan out is a recruiting miss. In hindsight, I still think it was worth taking a chance on him and giving him the opportunity to play QB. It's on Luke if he doesn't realize he's not good enough to play QB at this level and could be an All-American type player at another position.

Sure, any guy that transfers out or doesn't pan out is a recruiting miss. In hindsight, I still think it was worth taking a chance on him and giving him the opportunity to play QB. It's on Luke if he doesn't realize he's not good enough to play QB at this level and could be an All-American type player at another position.
I can see that for sure but LM was a project at QB and we needed more/better QB behind AM and those weren't there. I think that presents an issue with the QB recruiting overall.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back