• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What is the football position that says "Nebraska Football"

What football position makes you think "Nebraska Football"

• Option QB

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Fullback

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • I-Back

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • Offensive Line

Votes: 29 45.3%
  • Defensive Line

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Receiver/Tight End

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kicker

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Linebacker

• Defensive Back

• Kick/Punt Returner

• Total voters
All of the above?

Nebraska has been nationally known for a rushing attack, which includes HB/FB and OL, which has its own nickname (Pipeline). We also have a national OL award named for Rimington, and there's now a PK Return award named for The Jett.

But then again, Blackshirts. Our defense has been known as grave diggers for opposing teams.

And special teams. We seem to have an abundance of walk-on soccer players like Koch, Brown, Henery and others that practically never ends. I've watched too many Oregon Duck games were the kicker missed multiple 35 yard FGs to know that Nebraska somehow always has serviceable kickers.

For me, it's not so much a position as a philosophy. Heavily-conditioned ground attack that wears opponents out (Warren Sapp, anyone?) and an attacking defense that swarms the other team's ball carriers. If you watch old Blackshirt highlights there were almost always 2, 3 or 4 defenders hitting the ball carrier at once.
This!

I don't know if there is one position, per se, that exemplifies NU FB. And that's not all bad. Of course, this discussion would have been more relevant 20 years ago (we wouldn't get snarky comments like some of the above).

Penn St. is "Linebacker U". Purdue is the "cradle of QBs" (because they never win anything at Purdue but go on to great NFL careers). I'd rather be known for championship TEAMS than for any one position group. But that concept would grant "Blackshirts" as a legitimate contender (though I realize not an option for this thread).

I would have said:
I-back U
O-line U
D-line U
(or maybe just "Outland / Lombardi U")

Really you could say any position group not having to do with a pass-happy offense. So, no receivers or passing QBs.

... and it is not a position, and hence was not included. It's a great tradition, but I could just as well have included 'Tunnel walk" and "Balloon release with first score" if that's what I was after.
I don't know if there is one position, per se, that exemplifies NU FB. And that's not all bad. Of course, this discussion would have been more relevant 20 years ago (we wouldn't get snarky comments like some of the above).

Penn St. is "Linebacker U". Purdue is the "cradle of QBs" (because they never win anything at Purdue but go on to great NFL careers). I'd rather be known for championship TEAMS than for any one position group. But that concept would grant "Blackshirts" as a legitimate contender (though I realize not an option for this thread).

I would have said:
I-back U
O-line U
D-line U
(or maybe just "Outland / Lombardi U")

Really you could say any position group not having to do with a pass-happy offense. So, no receivers or passing QBs.
I looked as "Blackshirts" as a position (think DL) which I expanded to the entire defense, which does make it different than the "Tunnel Walk" or "Balloon Release".

But since you are limiting me to your list, I have to agree with @Elwood von Kiowa, that there isn't any one position that would make anyone think "Nebraska Football". The closest one your list would be OL (or the term "Pipeline" ;)).

Last edited:

Interesting question, and I don't have a great answer. Nebraska has been defined by its coaching personalities as much as anything.

Growing up, I was enamored with Osborne's offense, but one thing that many of us took for granted was just how good our defense was. Many of us remember Pelini's 2009 defense as being pretty salty, but McBride's defenses played like that year in and year out.

With that in mind, I think that a defensive position group deserves some recognition here. My first thought was defensive end, but what about our secondary? Even through all the turmoil in recent years, our defensive backs have played pretty well.

So I'm going with DB U.

GET TICKETS

Back