• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What is the football position that says "Nebraska Football"

What football position makes you think "Nebraska Football"

• Option QB

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Fullback

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • I-Back

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • Offensive Line

Votes: 29 45.3%
  • Defensive Line

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Receiver/Tight End

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kicker

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Linebacker

• Defensive Back

• Kick/Punt Returner

• Total voters
All of the above?

Nebraska has been nationally known for a rushing attack, which includes HB/FB and OL, which has its own nickname (Pipeline). We also have a national OL award named for Rimington, and there's now a PK Return award named for The Jett.

But then again, Blackshirts. Our defense has been known as grave diggers for opposing teams.

And special teams. We seem to have an abundance of walk-on soccer players like Koch, Brown, Henery and others that practically never ends. I've watched too many Oregon Duck games were the kicker missed multiple 35 yard FGs to know that Nebraska somehow always has serviceable kickers.

For me, it's not so much a position as a philosophy. Heavily-conditioned ground attack that wears opponents out (Warren Sapp, anyone?) and an attacking defense that swarms the other team's ball carriers. If you watch old Blackshirt highlights there were almost always 2, 3 or 4 defenders hitting the ball carrier at once.

All of the above?

Nebraska has been nationally known for a rushing attack, which includes HB/FB and OL, which has its own nickname (Pipeline). We also have a national OL award named for Rimington, and there's now a PK Return award named for The Jett.

But then again, Blackshirts. Our defense has been known as grave diggers for opposing teams.

And special teams. We seem to have an abundance of walk-on soccer players like Koch, Brown, Henery and others that practically never ends. I've watched too many Oregon Duck games were the kicker missed multiple 35 yard FGs to know that Nebraska somehow always has serviceable kickers.

For me, it's not so much a position as a philosophy. Heavily-conditioned ground attack that wears opponents out (Warren Sapp, anyone?) and an attacking defense that swarms the other team's ball carriers. If you watch old Blackshirt highlights there were almost always 2, 3 or 4 defenders hitting the ball carrier at once.
You went through a thought process similar to mine... we have awards named in honor of NU players at multiple positions, we've had several groups (the Pipeline) that were awesome. So what what football position does DONU REALLY identify with.

Is there a position called: 3 and 17.... pass incomplete, oh but wait, def holding on nebr, thats a first down.!

too many characters, that couldnt be.

O-line

And Blackshirts should have been a choice.

At Notre Dame in 2000 my son and I were cheering loudly "Go Blackshirts"
A polite ND fan asked: "what does that mean, Blackshirts?"

I stopped and explained the Blackshirt legacy and although he was still somewhat confused, aleast he had met another piece of Husker lore.

O-line

And Blackshirts should have been a choice.

At Notre Dame in 2000 my son and I were cheering loudly "Go Blackshirts"
A polite ND fan asked: "what does that mean, Blackshirts?"

I stopped and explained the Blackshirt legacy and although he was still somewhat confused, aleast he had met another piece of Husker lore.

The term "Blackshirts" is a term that most college football fans would recognize as being associated with Nebraska (even though it has been about 10 years since the term really applied to Nebraska on a national level).

Last edited:

The term "Blackshirts" is a term that most college football fans would recognize as being associated with Nebraska (even though it has been about 10 years since the term really applied to Nebraska on a national level).
... and it is not a position, and hence was not included. It's a great tradition, but I could just as well have included 'Tunnel walk" and "Balloon release with first score" if that's what I was after.

GET TICKETS

Back