• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Yet another bill introduced in Congress to permit collective bargaining by college athletes

EastOfEden

Junior Varsity
15 Year Member
This one won't pass either , but it shows how momentum is still buzzing around even after the NLRB denied the Northwestern team to collectively bargain.

https://www.natlawreview.com/articl...posal-authorizes-student-athletes-to-unionize

This, tampering, the portal, NIL developments, gambling's encroachment -- I have no illusions about the decline of what I used to enjoy in college sports. Others may like this current moveent, but don't count me among them.

But then, I don't like the current games of pro baseball or basketball either. In baseball it's a homerun or a strikeout (wow, that sure is fun) and in bball stars sit out and when they are there they bang into each other and palm the ball and travel and play some made for TV game I don't appreciate.

And yes, I think paying participants {be they players or coaches} as much as they are playing in pro sports is totally misguided. It all reflects a society that mimics the Romans who loved bread and circuses.

And now I'm going to have my breakfast.

This one won't pass either , but it shows how momentum is still buzzing around even after the NLRB denied the Northwestern team to collectively bargain.

https://www.natlawreview.com/articl...posal-authorizes-student-athletes-to-unionize

This, tampering, the portal, NIL developments, gambling's encroachment -- I have no illusions about the decline of what I used to enjoy in college sports. Others may like this current moveent, but don't count me among them.

But then, I don't like the current games of pro baseball or basketball either. In baseball it's a homerun or a strikeout (wow, that sure is fun) and in bball stars sit out and when they are there they bang into each other and palm the ball and travel and play some made for TV game I don't appreciate.

And yes, I think paying participants {be they players or coaches} as much as they are playing in pro sports is totally misguided. It all reflects a society that mimics the Romans who loved bread and circuses.

And now I'm going to have my breakfast.
Yup, there are some who are trying very hard to destroy the planet's best sport.

Georgia passed a law last month that if one athlete gets a big payout for an endorsement, he has to share it will the other athletes. Kinda social-ly for a GOP legislature.

I don’t like any of it. Ruining sports. College players would never have the platform for, NIL, without the university putting them there in the first place. It’s already a win win imo. We may not have college football in 10-20 years. It’s all ridiculous. Let them ruin it, like everything else.

I don’t like any of it. Ruining sports. College players would never have the platform for, NIL, without the university putting them there in the first place. It’s already a win win imo. We may not have college football in 10-20 years. It’s all ridiculous. Let them ruin it, like everything else.
Everything today has to be about freaking money. I understand there’s a lot of dollars in college athletics at least in men’s basketball and football. Whatever happened to playing for the love of the game and if you’re good enough taking your craft on to the professional level to get paid. I paid for my college education at Nebraska and used it to get a degree which propelled me into a career in which I could support a family and hopefully retire comfortably. Scholarship athletes have the same opportunity and at worst case have to delay their millions if they’re good enough to play at the next level. A free education, room and board, stipends, and all the gear your heart can desire is not peanuts. But what the hell I’m 54 and my thinking is probably antiquated.

A free education, room and board, stipends, and all the gear your heart can desire is not peanuts. But what the hell I’m 54 and my thinking is probably antiquated.
Feel the same…the times, they say…are a changin’

Wait till you hit 67 my friend, then you start feeling really antiquated.

I do think we (Nebraska) have to adjust to the times. It’s like a freight train, either jump on board or get run over by it.

But no doubt money and the “all about me” stuff is ruining many college sports. And it’s disheartening to boot.

Everything today has to be about freaking money. I understand there’s a lot of dollars in college athletics at least in men’s basketball and football. Whatever happened to playing for the love of the game and if you’re good enough taking your craft on to the professional level to get paid. I paid for my college education at Nebraska and used it to get a degree which propelled me into a career in which I could support a family and hopefully retire comfortably. Scholarship athletes have the same opportunity and at worst case have to delay their millions if they’re good enough to play at the next level. A free education, room and board, stipends, and all the gear your heart can desire is not peanuts. But what the hell I’m 54 and my thinking is probably antiquated.
I agree with you. Society in general has skewed away from yesteryear. It’s not your daddy’s, or your grandpa’s world anymore. That’s for sure. One thing is for certain, it’s utterly destroying a once proud game. I’m honestly not sure what the future holds for it. May happen sooner than later.

It will be fascinating to see how this all plays out. Unless we get good really quickly, I am not sure we have much to worry about or influence. More than likely, we will fall in line with the big dogs.

Pal as far as I am concerned we haven't had college football for the last 10-20 years;)

the old adage is very much true here.. Money is the root of all evil!

College Sports is on the brink for sure. The players don't realize what they are doing because they are being feed all these lies about being rich and playing college sports.

I agree with you. Society in general has skewed away from yesteryear. It’s not your daddy’s, or your grandpa’s world anymore. That’s for sure. One thing is for certain, it’s utterly destroying a once proud game. I’m honestly not sure what the future holds for it. May happen sooner than later.
I ask how has a lot of this money crap worked out for the NBA? Average viewing per game in 1998 was 29 million while the 2020 average viewing per game was 7.45 million. Anyone think that's good for the NBA? Yes MJ was playing but the long term trend has been clearly bad for the NBA.

I believe millions of sports fans are completely turned off with professional sports and it's going to also happen with college football imo.

They are trying to kill the goose that laid the golden egg. Look at the sponsors -- blathering idiots. They want to take all the "NCAA millions" and distribute it to the players. No income tax on them, though. This would eliminate college sports in two years if it were to pass.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back