• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nebraska post TO vs Ohio State post UM

NeroFakesThePitch

Scout Team
15 Year Member
I've been thinking about this lately. My intention is not to turn this into a Frank vs Ryan debate, or a bash on Frank thread. I just wanted to get some of your thoughts regarding both teams. Day has been doing an exceptional job so far, obviously. And Frank did as well.

I guess my question to you all is.. do you think Ryan Day can keep it up at Ohio State? Or do you see an eventual drop off in play? It seems next to impossible that there could be two brilliant coaches in a row, especially after a semi scandalous end to Meyer's tenure. So far, tho, I've been really impressed with Day. He seems to be leading the team superbly.

Thoughts?

I've been thinking about this lately. My intention is not to turn this into a Frank vs Ryan debate, or a bash on Frank thread. I just wanted to get some of your thoughts regarding both teams. Day has been doing an exceptional job so far, obviously. And Frank did as well.

I guess my question to you all is.. do you think Ryan Day can keep it up at Ohio State? Or do you see an eventual drop off in play? It seems next to impossible that there could be two brilliant coaches in a row, especially after a semi scandalous end to Meyer's tenure. So far, tho, I've been really impressed with Day. He seems to be leading the team superbly.

Thoughts?
Ryan Day is a great coach. Ohio St does a tremendous job finding coaches. I suspect he'll win a natty.

All I know is that when TO left Nebraska was the premier program in the country and there really was no debate. I would have thought they could have hired anyone that they wanted to at that point. Even though many of you will defend Frank to the death I would find it very hard to argue that we couldn't have hired some more highly thought of proven head coaches in 1998.

Because of how bad Nebraska has been since Frank left, there has been a lot of revisionist history about his coaching tenure. We were still pretty good the first couple of years under Frank, but after that the decline was palpable. We continued to beat the patsies on our schedule (and back then, we were fortunate to have a schedule mainly made up of patsies), but we began to lose to good teams consistently. The most obvious sign that something was seriously amiss was when we got pasted by Colorado and Miami after delusionally believing that we were a national championship contender. Clearly, we have had a lot of swings and misses in our coaching hires since Frank, but that doesn't mean that all would have been well had we kept him as our coach. He was not a long term answer. He may have had some success in the MAC, but he is not a good Power 5 coach.

Ryan Day seems completely different to me. Everything I see tells me that he is a great coach who has a bright future.

Last edited:
So far, so good for Day at tOSU. I think he will continue to win at a very high level there, but let's see what happens when all of the Meyer recruits are gone. After an initial stumble in 1998 (9-4 was considered a disaster back then), Solich fielded some very good NU teams when the Osborne recruits were still there. Larry Coker looked like a world-beater at Miami... until he ran out of Butch Davis recruits and got fired a few years after leading that dominant 2001 team.

I thought Ryan Day would fall flat on his face and fail but he seems to be doing well. I’m not familiar with how he’s doing it, if he’s following in UM’s footsteps or doing things differently but you can’t argue with the results.

I think a fair comparison would be NU post-Osborne to OU post-Switzer. Solich did pretty well in that comparison.

Honestly, I hope most people can see that these types of comparisons are just exercises in futility. But it makes for good discussion...

If you look back at the history of CFB, every blue blood team has had its down years -- and I mean REALLY down years -- except for OhSU. The buckeyes have had a few periods when they weren't great, but just looking at their records, they never strung together a bunch of losing seasons. For whatever reason... I think they've always had good players, as they've always been in a hotbed of recruits, unlike most northern teams (e.g. Minnesota -- a powerhouse in the early 20th century, until the game passed them by).

Ryan Day has definitely proven to be a good coach. But if there's any place where a "trained monkey" could take over and win, it's OhSU. Certainly couldn't happen at Nebraska, in spite of what everyone said in 1998...

I think a fair comparison would be NU post-Osborne to OU post-Switzer. Solich did pretty well in that comparison.

Honestly, I hope most people can see that these types of comparisons are just exercises in futility. But it makes for good discussion...

If you look back at the history of CFB, every blue blood team has had its down years -- and I mean REALLY down years -- except for OhSU. The buckeyes have had a few periods when they weren't great, but just looking at their records, they never strung together a bunch of losing seasons. For whatever reason... I think they've always had good players, as they've always been in a hotbed of recruits, unlike most northern teams (e.g. Minnesota -- a powerhouse in the early 20th century, until the game passed them by).

Ryan Day has definitely proven to be a good coach. But if there's any place where a "trained monkey" could take over and win, it's OhSU. Certainly couldn't happen at Nebraska, in spite of what everyone said in 1998...
Oklahoma was on severe probation when Switzer left and Gibbs took over, so not really a good comparison. Gary did ok for them, but was losing to Colorado and Nebraska every year, and Texas. Solich took over a team on top of the world, with the train going full speed ahead.

TO as OC and/or HC, 83.6 winning percentage, 5 NC
nebraska in all other years, 61.6 winning percentage, 0 NC

don't care about any other schools or coaches, i know who is the greatest coach of all time is.

i dont think you can compare any other situation to what osborne did during his tenure and the coach that followed.

TO as OC and/or HC, 83.6 winning percentage, 5 NC
nebraska in all other years, 61.6 winning percentage, 0 NC

don't care about any other schools or coaches, i know who is the greatest coach of all time is.

i dont think you can compare any other situation to what osborne did during his tenure and the coach that followed.
Completely agree. The chosen one (saban) may not even be the best coach in his schools history, which also won a national title with gene stallings as a coach. Not to mention Ed Orgeron at LSU. To think that every job and opportunity are the same is ridiculous. Winning football games in Lincoln Nebraska is not the same as winning at Alabama, Florida, Texas, Ohio....etc. kids have been spoon fed the SEC (and staying home with rule changes) from talking heads with huge contracts on espn to the point that former whipping boys like LSU, Tennessee, Baylor... are ‘preferred’ destinations over Nebraska. And that crap start before Tom retired.

If Ryan day doesn’t come up with a title soon they will want him run out of town the same way stoops, solich, TO, John cooper, gene stallings........ all of them had the fans turn on them to some degree

Completely agree. The chosen one (saban) may not even be the best coach in his schools history, which also won a national title with gene stallings as a coach. Not to mention Ed Orgeron at LSU. To think that every job and opportunity are the same is ridiculous. Winning football games in Lincoln Nebraska is not the same as winning at Alabama, Florida, Texas, Ohio....etc. kids have been spoon fed the SEC (and staying home with rule changes) from talking heads with huge contracts on espn to the point that former whipping boys like LSU, Tennessee, Baylor... are ‘preferred’ destinations over Nebraska. And that crap start before Tom retired.

If Ryan day doesn’t come up with a title soon they will want him run out of town the same way stoops, solich, TO, John cooper, gene stallings........ all of them had the fans turn on them to some degree
It will be interesting to see what happens.

Appreciate everyone's thoughts.

All I know is that when TO left Nebraska was the premier program in the country and there really was no debate. I would have thought they could have hired anyone that they wanted to at that point. Even though many of you will defend Frank to the death I would find it very hard to argue that we couldn't have hired some more highly thought of proven head coaches in 1998.
That was never a possibility. Osborne left with the understanding that Frank would take over and keep the staff intact. There was not a coaching search, it was a promotion arranged by TO for Frank. Tom might not have left that year if he couldn't have guaranteed his staff's positions.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back