• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

New(ish) concept for Nebraska Offense

For sure, and a guy like Osborne had unbelievable X's and O's with unreal Jimmy's and Joe's. Heck, Osborne was running versions of RPOs in the 90s. People think it's a new thing out of the shotgun but the guy we are trying to duplicate was doing it 30 years ago.
Yeah my favorite TO RPO was when TFraz was running things. The beginning of the play looked for the whole world to see like a standard triple option to the right. Tfraz would fake to the FB start to run the option to the right. if it was coavered he takes 2 steps back in the backfield and throws the ball downfield to a streaking TE.

Yeah my favorite TO RPO was when TFraz was running things. The beginning of the play looked for the whole world to see like a standard triple option to the right. Tfraz would fake to the FB start to run the option to the right. if it was coavered he takes 2 steps back in the backfield and throws the ball downfield to a streaking TE.

Streaking tight end?

1620108314888.png

Red socks and black shoes....sweet.

C

Bro!!! Thank you for taking the time to break this down for us. Well done my man.

That's actually a pretty good take from it. I think the thing that's interesting with it is it's a read for the RB as well. In the first play where we throw it, watch the RB continue forward because that's where the hole is. Now, if he got the ball would he bounce it, maybe. And to your point, I'm not sure i've ever been more frustrated than seeing Mo Washington bounce something instantly.

Here's a good view of what i'm talking about (I know this is NFL), but the RB stays coming up the field until the LB moves forward to stop him and now he knows he'd be caught up in the wash if he tried to chase him down:

Here's LSU running a variation of that where the RB does not bounce:

I get where you are coming from, i'm hoping the bounce was because of what he saw and not because of what MW used to do.

The NFL play that you show "worked" because the O-line was solid, absolutely no penetration across the whole front.

Any RB would be deliriously happy to run behind that kind of blocking, allowing the choice of when and where to make a cut.

My point being that 2021 offense lies as much with the development of the O-line, its cohesiveness and physicality, as with "scheme".

That's the issue that I have had with Scott the last three years, over emphasis on scheme instead of basic football on offense: run the ball effectively, throw to guys who can catch, don't play guys who can't/won't block, avoid turnovers, and good field position football (special teams play).

Had Scott done those things he would have had winning season all three years he has been here, but he would not have looked like an "offensive guru". He chose poorly :(.

This better be the year he let's his offense feature paragraph four or there is no way to 8 wins.

What i saw in the spring game reenforced that there is talent on this team, Scott just needs to be an "average" coach instead of a "guru" and 8 wins can come from this group.

***: thanks again for your wonderful write ups, the are great fun to read, making the time to the season opener much easier to tolerate.

GBR

The NFL play that you show "worked" because the O-line was solid, absolutely no penetration across the whole front.

Any RB would be deliriously happy to run behind that kind of blocking, allowing the choice of when and where to make a cut.

My point being that 2021 offense lies as much with the development of the O-line, its cohesiveness and physicality, as with "scheme".

That's the issue that I have had with Scott the last three years, over emphasis on scheme instead of basic football on offense: run the ball effectively, throw to guys who can catch, don't play guys who can't/won't block, avoid turnovers, and good field position football (special teams play).

Had Scott done those things he would have had winning season all three years he has been here, but he would not have looked like an "offensive guru". He chose poorly :(.

This better be the year he let's his offense feature paragraph four or there is no way to 8 wins.

What i saw in the spring game reenforced that there is talent on this team, Scott just needs to be an "average" coach instead of a "guru" and 8 wins can come from this group.

***: thanks again for your wonderful write ups, the are great fun to read, making the time to the season opener much easier to tolerate.

GBR
Statements like this crack me up. TO was the king of scheme. Our athletes were not better than a lot of Teams. TO used scheme to make tham better. He was always changing his scheme. Watch the BTN show about the 94 team. They talk a lot about how he always modified his scheme. They specifically talk about a new blocking scheme he developed. He supposedly told them that when they run it the first time it will go for a TD. IT did. He kept tweaking and tweaking till he got it right. Thus the 3 championships in 4 years at the end.

I suspect we will see much better execution just based on actually having a full spring. Yes Coach has made errors but get real here. His offense relies alot on timing and reads. You don't get that from just watching film. A full off season was a great thing and I suspect it will pay off in spades this fall.

Statements like this crack me up. TO was the king of scheme. Our athletes were not better than a lot of Teams. TO used scheme to make tham better. He was always changing his scheme. Watch the BTN show about the 94 team. They talk a lot about how he always modified his scheme. They specifically talk about a new blocking scheme he developed. He supposedly told them that when they run it the first time it will go for a TD. IT did. He kept tweaking and tweaking till he got it right. Thus the 3 championships in 4 years at the end.

I don't think it was an either/or thing. I think both things were true. Osborne had better athletes than most of the teams he played against and he was brilliant at out-scheming his opponents.

I don't think it was an either/or thing. I think both things were true. Osborne had better athletes than most of the teams he played against and he was brilliant at out-scheming his opponents.
I do not agree with that. He had better athletes then some of the teams we played. KU, KSU etc. However when we played teams like UCLA, Penn State, Washington, ASU, MSU etc. We often had the lesser "talent" but the better scheme and we won anyways. Heck in 87 the OSU backfield was Thurman Thomas and Berry sanders, ours that same year was Ken Clark and Keith Jones. Were we more talented in the backfield? Heck no but we beat them 35-0.

I do not agree with that. He had better athletes then some of the teams we played. KU, KSU etc. However when we played teams like UCLA, Penn State, Washington, ASU, MSU etc. We often had the lesser "talent" but the better scheme and we won anyways. Heck in 87 the OSU backfield was Thurman Thomas and Berry sanders, ours that same year was Ken Clark and Keith Jones. Were we more talented in the backfield? Heck no but we beat them 35-0.
RB is the only position on the team? I bet you that 87 team was better at almost every other position group across the entire roster. Osborne absolutely had better talent than most of his opponents. This myth has been debunked on this site even.

Did the FSU teams and the Miami teams have more talent?
Yes they did.
Beating FSU, did it come down to changing our D and the right fits?
Yes it did.
TO and staff evolved away from old winning ways to compete against better winning ways.
Every good coach has to, new offensive schemes demand it.

So, our older styles had good athletes, but even guys like Nate Gerry werent used in their best way if you think the NFL is an improvement over college ball.
Coaches will tell anyone, we put guys in spots where they can win.

I am sorry but you are mis-spelling the word "team".

Dr. Tom was great at mixing walk-ons, great athletes and using a system that no one else was using and getting them to play together as a "team".

You know, "team" where the sum of the parts is greater than the individual pieces, that is the difference between winning consistently and losing.

Yes, Dr. Tom was great at out thinking the other teams coach.

But that's my point with Frost, he has spent too much time trying to out think the other guy, forgetting that Dr. Tom started with the fundamental need to have the "team" play together, play smart, not make mistakes and then if you add "scheme" to that fine.

But "scheme" is the dessert, not the main course of coaching, "team work" is the main course.

GBR

As much as I revere TO, he wasn't playing the BIG. Would liked to have watched him adjust, sure he could have.

I am sorry but you are mis-spelling the word "team".

Dr. Tom was great at mixing walk-ons, great athletes and using a system that no one else was using and getting them to play together as a "team".

You know, "team" where the sum of the parts is greater than the individual pieces, that is the difference between winning consistently and losing.

Yes, Dr. Tom was great at out thinking the other teams coach.

But that's my point with Frost, he has spent too much time trying to out think the other guy, forgetting that Dr. Tom started with the fundamental need to have the "team" play together, play smart, not make mistakes and then if you add "scheme" to that fine.

But "scheme" is the dessert, not the main course of coaching, "team work" is the main course.

GBR
I do not disagree with you. We are talking scheme vs talent. Teamwork is a part of it either way. Great scheme can beat superior talent. That was ny point.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back