• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Spring Game MVPs?

DuckTownHusker

Blackshirt Sith Lord
10 Year Member
There are always spring game heroes who never materialize again in the fall. But it's always fun top speculate and talk about who had a good showing. I'm curious who your MVPs are after watching the spring game, and who do you think gets a starting job?

For me, I really liked seeing Yant and Haarberg. Yant has the look of a classic Husker FB / Bruiser RB in the vein of an Imani Cross or Andy Janovich. I can see him getting a lot of short yardage use because he seems like he can knock some LBs flat on their rumps. Haarberg is interesting to me. Clearly, AM2 has the starting QB job locked up, but I really think Haarberg might be the future. It's not a knock on Masker or Smothers, but Haarberg just has that old school gunslinger look to him. I'm not proclaiming him to be the next Brett Favre, but he reminds me of how Favre led the league in passing - and interceptions. Or how Barry Sanders led the league in yards lost. That sort of risk-taker mentality where he's not afraid to force a throw and rely on his team should it turn into an INT. Many of our QBs over the last several years have gotten rattled and gunshy after throwing a few picks and then they actually wind up throwing more picks because they're only trying for safe passes and the defense corners them. I feel like Haarberg is the kind of guy who could throw a pick and then immediately come back and throw a 75-yd TD the first play of the next drive.

Phalen Sanford, Simon Otte, Isiaiah Harris all had nice days.

EDIT: Tagge and Bullock at LB too.
I truly think this guy can help Nebraska as a nickel or dime defensive back. He is pretty skilled and an outstanding football player. I personally wouldn't hesitate to put him on defense in a game. Saw several really good plays out of him during the spring game.

There are always spring game heroes who never materialize again in the fall. But it's always fun top speculate and talk about who had a good showing. I'm curious who your MVPs are after watching the spring game, and who do you think gets a starting job?

For me, I really liked seeing Yant and Haarberg. Yant has the look of a classic Husker FB / Bruiser RB in the vein of an Imani Cross or Andy Janovich. I can see him getting a lot of short yardage use because he seems like he can knock some LBs flat on their rumps. Haarberg is interesting to me. Clearly, AM2 has the starting QB job locked up, but I really think Haarberg might be the future. It's not a knock on Masker or Smothers, but Haarberg just has that old school gunslinger look to him. I'm not proclaiming him to be the next Brett Favre, but he reminds me of how Favre led the league in passing - and interceptions. Or how Barry Sanders led the league in yards lost. That sort of risk-taker mentality where he's not afraid to force a throw and rely on his team should it turn into an INT. Many of our QBs over the last several years have gotten rattled and gunshy after throwing a few picks and then they actually wind up throwing more picks because they're only trying for safe passes and the defense corners them. I feel like Haarberg is the kind of guy who could throw a pick and then immediately come back and throw a 75-yd TD the first play of the next drive.
I thought Yant was fun to watch

Man you all are a bunch of rookies :).

Watch the O-line play.

I saw a lot of effort, sustained blocks, people going down field to get second effort blocks.

If we want a winning season in 2021, that's the group that will make the difference.

It will be interesting to see if #77 Michael Lynn (Red shirt freshman from CO; 6-6 290, a little man :) ) makes the field in the fall, he sure got a lot minutes in the spring game and looked like he was at least playing with great effort.

GBR

Man you all are a bunch of rookies :).

Watch the O-line play.

I saw a lot of effort, sustained blocks, people going down field to get second effort blocks.

If we want a winning season in 2021, that's the group that will make the difference.

It will be interesting to see if #77 Michael Lynn (Red shirt freshman from CO; 6-6 290, a little man :) ) makes the field in the fall, he sure got a lot minutes in the spring game and looked like he was at least playing with great effort.

GBR
His big highlight that I remember seeing was getting handled by Hutmacher's left hand as Nash tackled Ervin with his right. No matter what, I hope that Lynn gets to play this fall, either as a valued backup or garbage time guy when we're ahead by 40.

His big highlight that I remember seeing was getting handled by Hutmacher's left hand as Nash tackled Ervin with his right. No matter what, I hope that Lynn gets to play this fall, either as a valued backup or garbage time guy when we're ahead by 40.
Hutmacher, you mean the "Wayne Meylan" of the 21st Century?

That isn't such a bad thing then. is it? :)

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back