• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Huskers will play Fordham on 4 September

Nailed it....... just getting some extensive snaps for 2nd and 3rd team guys early in the season is invaluable. Hopefully stringing 3 wins together will send us to OK with some confidence, rather than desperation.

We do have a chance against OK, they have not had a good defense in the last few years, at all, there are always 3-4 games for sure every year for them, that they win 41-35, or 42-39, against teams you would think they would blast outa the stadium. Lets just hope we have a zero turnover game.... if so, we can make it very close.
Unfortunately this isn’t the 90’s anymore per the bolded. Frost’s offense has been an absolute train wreck since he arrived at NU. The 1’s need all the experience they can get even against a Fordham…

Is that really an example we want to use? That is exactly why I named Citadel as an example.

I suppose priorities matter. Greatness is not achieved through these type of games and the SEC out of conference schedules and their lack of strength get plenty of attention.

"But they play for national titles." Is the priority winning a title or how a team wins it? In the deed, the... You know, that thing. It is the same reason I laugh at World Series titles the Yankees bought. Sure, they won but Billy Beane and the Athletics have more of my respect. Sure, it wasn't by choice but what they accomplished changed all sports moving forward.

I prefer to see a team hold itself to a higher standard, not what is commonly accepted or an SEC standard. Lots of people disagree with me, that's fine. My opinion is that part of what makes Nebraska great is they do things their own way and don't give two rips what another team or conference does. That and being so physical that it was normal for teams to lose their following game due to the punishment the Huskers inflicted upon them. Not backing down and giving opponents props when it was due. It was more about each game and less about polls. Let that part settle itself. That gets respect and changes perception. That gets recruits... Really good recruits if you can be competitive.

Would Osborne back losing $600k to play a weaker opponent because he was worried about the placement of a bye week? Would he think that doing so would help recruiting? Again, I may be wrong, but I don't think so.

No, it isn't the 90's and Nebraska has a long way to go but I believe if you want to be great, you need to take on that swagger and act like it first.
You forgot about all those games against Pacific?

Fordham isn’t Ivy League level academically, but very close. Think Rice, The Citadel, Presbyterian as comparators. An elite academic school that you’d better have some solid academic cred to get into.

You forgot about all those games against Pacific?
Honestly yes but my memory is far from great in general. I suppose I should be happy none of them were "memorable."

IMO, there is a difference between scheduling easier games and scrambling like this a few months before the season to make the road easier. That was the schedule Nebraska signed up for, let's see it. It is this type of thinking that led some at the school to consider dropping the Oklahoma game. It makes Nebraska look weak and does not play well in terms of national perception. That is the cost. I hope the late change to the schedule pays real, recognizable dividends to counter it.

Last edited:
Maybe I am the only one...

A lot of "love adding Fordham in the early schedule to build confidence and Fordham is a good school to schedule (for a variety of reasons)."

For me it looks like hyping a Citadel-like school because otherwise someone might start talking about scheduling cupcakes.

I understand the team may be in a place where hyping a Fordham team seems appropriate. My personal opinion, is keep scheduling only the best. Iron sharpens iron. If the team loses, it loses, but it gets better. Yes, Nebraska has a tough schedule this year... Good! Make it tougher.

And maybe I am wrong but beating up on "maybe the Yale of New York" won't turn a lot of heads in recruiting. MAYBE, the Rutgers game last year has already done that in the area anyway.

Could you imagine Husker fans of the 90's showing the same enthusiasm in this thread for a game against... Fordham? I imagine this announcement would have been met with a collective sigh and a "what the heck are they thinking?"

I would have preferred to keep in SE Louisiana in place. Better yet, a MAC school, South Dakota, Hawaii, JMU, Nevada, Liberty... I understand options were limited but was this really the best option on the table?
Yes because TO never scheduled cupcakes. ;) :O O:
91 Utah State, CSU
92 Middle Tenn St
93 North TX
94 Pacific
95 Pacific
97 Akron

With the way the Big 10 always loads up our crossover schedule and with one of our three non-conference games this year being a road game against a projected Top 5 team, I have no problem with adding one game against an opponent like Fordham. We shouldn't have to apologize for a 12-game schedule that includes Oklahoma, the Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Iowa.

I know people who went to both. You are probably right. Columbia doesn’t play football though do they?

For some reason, I have a vivid memory of the day Columbia won a game in October 1988, breaking the nation's longest losing streak, which dated back to October 1983. All of the network college football shows showed highlights of the "historic event."

Columbia hasn't really gotten much better since.

For some reason, I have a vivid memory of the day Columbia won a game in October 1988, breaking the nation's longest losing streak, which dated back to October 1983. All of the network college football shows showed highlights of the "historic event."

Columbia hasn't really gotten much better since.
I didn’t know they even had a team. Thought it was all hockey and lacrosse.

I didn’t know they even had a team. Thought it was all hockey and lacrosse.

I'm pretty sure every Ivy League school has a football team.

NEW YORK (AP) _ Columbia University snapped college football’s longest losing streak of 44 games over nearly five years on Saturday by defeating Ivy League rival Princeton 16-13.

Solomon Johnson’s 2-yard scoring run with about five minutes left to play capped a 53-yard drive and followed a field goal that had given Princeton a 13-9 lead.

Columbia’s Greg Abbruzzese rushed for 182 yards as the Lions won for the first time in 47 games. The last time the Lions won was a 21-18 defeat of Yale on Oct. 15, 1983. Since that game, Columbia had averted defeat only by tying Bucknell and Dartmouth later in 1983.

Yes, I understand this. So... Moving the bye week while taking a perceived drop in competition is worth $600k?

Move the bye week and improve the opponent... That would be better.

when we already have plenty of top level games on the schedule, why would a coach or athletic director schedule another top level team early in their schedule? Is it to make sure they are beat up for the start of the conference schedule? This team needs to develop chemistry and timing. They don’t need to play Alabama to get better.

Besides, with all this bulletin board fodder this thread is providing to Fordham, they might just be motivated to come in and punch us in the mouth. We are going to get their best shot, I imagine.

Doesn't Columbia hold the record for points scored in the 1880's or something. I could definitely be mistaken but for some reason it seems like it was 220 or something like that.

never mind - looked it up and it was Cumberland that got stomped by GA Tech 222-0

Last edited:

Is that really an example we want to use? That is exactly why I named Citadel as an example.

I suppose priorities matter. Greatness is not achieved through these type of games and the SEC out of conference schedules and their lack of strength gets plenty of attention.

"But they play for national titles." Is the priority winning a title or how a team wins it? In the deed, the... You know, that thing. It is the same reason I laugh at World Series titles the Yankees bought. Sure, they won but Billy Beane and the Athletics have more of my respect. Sure, it wasn't by choice but what they accomplished changed all sports moving forward.

I prefer to see a team hold itself to a higher standard, not what is commonly accepted or an SEC standard. Lots of people disagree with me, that's fine. My opinion is that part of what makes Nebraska great is they do things their own way and don't give two rips what another team or conference does. That and being so physical that it was normal for teams to lose their following game due to the punishment the Huskers inflicted upon them. Not backing down and giving opponents props when it was due. It was more about each game and less about polls. Let that part settle itself. That gets respect and changes perception. That gets recruits... Really good recruits if you can be competitive.

Would Osborne back losing $600k to play a weaker opponent because he was worried about the placement of a bye week? Would he think that doing so would help recruiting? Again, I may be wrong, but I don't think so.

No, it isn't the 90's and Nebraska has a long way to go but I believe if you want to be great, you need to take on that swagger and act like it first.

How many times did NU play teams like Pacific in the Osborne era? Every single year.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back