• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Who impressed you the most today?

—AM looks to have more and materially better options at WR.

—The RB situation is very concerning even with intriguing newcomers.

—I don’t know how anyone can say a darn thing about either line based on yesterday.

—I don’t know how anyone can say a darn thing about either line based on yesterday.
Well, Frost said something about the lines being very improved. I believe him.
I'm no expert, but the running backs looked great to me. Many options there.

Agree with your 1st statement.

" The crowd of 36,406 came in below its 50% capacity limit and fell well short of the 47,000-plus, who showed up for Alabama’s spring game the week before, but they filled parking lots, bars and restaurants, bringing signs of life to downtown Lincoln."

"From where I sat, very little of the Nebraska passing game looked sharp, regardless of who was throwing the ball. Certainly, a 25-mph south wind didn’t help matters any, but Adrian Martinez didn’t quite look like a fourth-year starter with the ability to rip the second-team defense to shreds. He went 12-for-20 with one interception and missed a few open receivers. Most notable was a botched connection with a curiously decelerating Manning as he crossed the back of the end zone in the second quarter, which came not long after Manning dropped a slightly underthrown 40-yard pass from Martinez. The Huskers were as ineffective on screen passes in the spring game as they have been against Big Ten opponents the past two seasons."

"Meanwhile, on the field, Jacquez Yant looked like the running back most likely to make a significant impact on the Husker offense this fall, with Gabe Ervin and Marvin Scott a notch behind."
"Scott led all rushers with 75 yards on 11 carries after breaking a 39-yard second-quarter run"
"Omar Manning looks impressive lining up at wide receiver, but on Saturday, he did very little to announce his arrival..." "Oliver Martin (five catches for 47) and Samori Toure (three catches for 47) were a bit more productive."
"Zavier Betts was almost invisible..."
"Smothers showed nimble feet, quick decision making and an improved passing arm." "Meanwhile, Haarberg struggled much of the afternoon"

"All signs point to the need for Cam Taylor-Britt, JoJo Domann and a solid defensive line to shine this fall. The Huskers showed me very little to change the notion that they must lean heavily on their defense this fall."

Last edited:
Hutmacher looked like a beast, and the best part was that he showed excellent technique. I tried to watch him as much as the cameras allowed, and I only ever saw him getting double-teamed, yet he never gave ground, and he almost always split the double-team to apply pressure against passes in the pocket. That's Tuioti getting it done as a coach because he was raw strength with almost no technique coming out of high school. He's going to get some playing time, which is ideal as we can keep Daniels fresh without wearing out Riley.
Totally agree. The polar bear was a beast. I thought Gabe Ervin looked good and will be in the top 3-4. Gifford and Tagge looked good and I think will make hay. One thing I found interesting is Brody Belt seemed to be Smothers security blanket. They had some chemistry. Braxton Clark seemed solid. I thought there seemed to be a lot of good physical play in the 2nd half.

Totally agree. The polar bear was a beast. I thought Gabe Ervin looked good and will be in the top 3-4. Gifford and Tagge looked good and I think will make hay. One thing I found interesting is Brody Belt seemed to be Smothers security blanket. They had some chemistry. Braxton Clark seemed solid. I thought there seemed to be a lot of good physical play in the 2nd half.
If our young qbs can set up some summer workouts with the wrs, it could really help them.
Tagge needs some weight on him, but agree, he looked good, except when Yant ran right over him, but I think he wont be the only one in that category

I was rather unimpressed with TMart. He under-threw the deep ball to manning, and later there was an intermediate throw in the end zone he missed. I want him to succeed, but his throws seemed off.
1st I thought TMart was selling houses now.
2nd most of the day 2AM was throwing pretty good. Long balls were probably affected by the 30 mile wind gusts.

Nixon. Yant looked good. I would like to see him in shape to take 20-25 carries a game, wear on a defense from start to finish, and really start punishing a defense in the 2nd half.

That would likely translate to team success more than having him just as a "short yardage back". All the RBs had their moments and it will be interesting to see who steps (Stepps?) up with some consistency. Hopefully someone does or we're in trouble.

• Martinez: Looked much more like the quick, agile FR Martinez and the guy he should be for the QB run game. Still doesn't look like a 4th year starter in the passing game. Windy? Yeah . . . could have been a significant factor. But we'll play in the wind. I'll wait to see how things look in game 1. Martinez has to be WAY better as a passer this year. If he goes down, we're in serious trouble.

General comment: STILL don't execute the lateral passing well at all after 4 years.

• RB: Yant is big . . . and seems to have ok speed and some subtle shiftyness for a man of his girth. He might make a pretty big impact. Scott looked pretty good at times and Ervin has a bit of the look of a dude. If Stepp gets healthy and others stay healthy, I think this room can be improved.

• WR: Manning didn't do anything last year, so just seeing him do "something" in the open practice and the spring game was a good sign. He has the size and speed. Will he be on the field in the fall? Hope so. Toure and Martin looked pretty good. Again, hard to say much from a spring game. Some concerns: dropped passes (some on the WR but some on the QB not putting the ball in the best spot it seemed) and more than a few times where a QB hung a WR out to dry where the pass was caught . . . but in a game, the WR gets demolished.

• Overall: I was encouraged with some things and not as encouraged with others. I don't want to overreact from a windy, spring scrimmage that was 2 hand touch in the first half--but winning 7+ games (much less the 8 0r 9 that Moos wants) with our schedule and with what we saw yesterday is going to be a really tall order. They HAVE to win 6 and get to a bowl.

Martinez looked like the same inept QB we have been watching for way too long. He will end up taking down Frost. I would feel much better if Mackinze Milton was on our team instead of Fla State.

Think point number one is going to be why Amart looks better. He is not a world beater but a lot of his issues have stemmed from throwing to receivers with a 29 in sleeve length. Having to catch wayward snaps that are taking away from reading the defense and making quick reads. Having to worry about the blocking in general should be better. My point being that with those other improvements he would not have to change a lot more than getting rid of the one or two boneheaded decisions he makes to have significantly different season.

Martinez looked like the same inept QB we have been watching for way too long. He will end up taking down Frost. I would feel much better if Mackinze Milton was on our team instead of Fla State.
Seems like he still has the yips when trying to hit someone in the flat.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back