• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Moos, 8 or 9 wins?

But does "8 or 9 wins is a realistic expectation" change anyone's thought process as a fan as opposed to the AD predicting 8 or 9 wins? Does that really change what is being talked about in this thread? Honestly, I think the AD saying "8 or 9 wins is a realistic expectation" is equal to him predicting it. It shifts from just his thought, to setting a bar for what other people's expectations can be and not outlandish. At minimum it gives the people ammo when we go 6-6 to say "but you said 8 or 9 was a realistic expectation so why shouldn't we be mad we fell way short of a realistic expectation?"

I just want us to be bowl eligible this year. With the schedule we have that is certainly improvement.

It absolutely does. What he said was completely different than the past statements that both he and Frost have made, the ones that were cocky and completely wrong. This was measured, cautious optimism, and the types of statements that are healthy to make. He acknowledged the faith he has in the talent of the team and staff, while at the same time being realistic at how hard it will be to get to that goal of 8-9 wins. This isn't a "the Big 10 is running scared" statement. This is a "if we ever play up to our potential and stop shootings ourselves in the foot" statement.

All I know is if frost can’t hit six wins he should be let go. Bring in someone else and let them see what they can do for four years. Can’t keep putting up losing seasons and expect a drastic change for the better at that rate

It absolutely does. What he said was completely different than the past statements that both he and Frost have made, the ones that were cocky and completely wrong. This was measured, cautious optimism, and the types of statements that are healthy to make. He acknowledged the faith he has in the talent of the team and staff, while at the same time being realistic at how hard it will be to get to that goal of 8-9 wins. This isn't a "the Big 10 is running scared" statement. This is a "if we ever play up to our potential and stop shootings ourselves in the foot" statement.
Gotcha. Makes sense. I just want to get to a bowl game so I was a little taken aback "8 or 9" was stated at all.

And, a possible/likely ass whipping. I think that, secretly, was the higher motivation, if we could inject the truth serum.

Someone could try the Vulcan Mind Meld.

tumblr_nmeeh6DbZ71svmnqco2_400.gifv

Last edited:
I find it funny how Moos brought in two highly touted hires - Frost and Hoiberg - but now it's his hire of Bolt and the baseball team who are winning big.
2 hires that were nearly unanimous, both locally, and nationally. He did what just about anyone would have done. If it doesn’t work out, I really don’t know how Moos can be held accountable for it, if we’re being honest. I mean, he did what 97% wanted. What else could he have done, buck the 97% and hire someone no one wanted? Tough spot.

Last edited:
Being the CEO of the athletic department, Bill Moos had to take a stand at some point and put out some expectations. If we do another 3-4 win deal this year, it's over for Frost. I'm not even sure 5 or 6 keeps him. This can't continue year after year at Nebraska.

I am not sure of 5 wins yet alone 8 wins. We lost a lot of players and leadership at captains. Most of the offensive production outside of Qb is gone and we have no proven backup. I am not sure much will change in 2021 because discipline and penalties are going to be self-inflicted wounds on the team. Fix the penalties and stay in your lane and be better at blocking and tackling and eight wins is possible.

Being the CEO of the athletic department, Bill Moos had to take a stand at some point and put out some expectations. If we do another 3-4 win deal this year, it's over for Frost. I'm not even sure 5 or 6 keeps him. This can't continue year after year at Nebraska.
I really believe a bowl game is needed. Most would be cool with a 7-5, competitive. Just something, something, to show he has NU headed northward. Another losing season would be awful. I know it’s a pretty tough schedule, but damn, he needs to show that NU is no slouch either.

I was thinking the same thing. While I don't think Moos was putting him on notice, I think Moos inadvertently set a bar that has bit us in the backside numerous times. It's one of my bigger issues, I probably wouldn't be as frustrated as I am if people closest to the program weren't spouting off things like the below tweets and then telling us something different after it doesn't happen:

I don't blame the staff much when fans eat up what they say. Human nature will have you continue to do the same habits that illicit responses of excitement from the fanbase. But I wish Moos would just say "I expect us to be much improved in 2021" and move on from there.

Reading those tweets and then trying to put SF's comments last year about rebuilding roster and rebuilding culture into perspective is a little tough. How can he do a complete 180 from "culture is where we want it" to blaming culture 6 months later for another losing season. If the HC thinks the culture is where they want it then it can't be an excuse later on.

C

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back