• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Damion Daniels...

To be fair to 'snacks", when he can go 100% he can be a dominant force in the middle. His problem has always been that he can't go 100% for more than 2 or 3 plays at a time before he gets exhausted. I am not sure if it is some kind of medical condition or just lack of effort that causes this. If he could ever get to the point where he can go full out for extended periods he could be a very good defensive lineman. We need a guy like that.

That was always the thing that impressed me about Suh. He would just dominate the opponent's offensive linemen on every play, and we rarely would take him out of a game.

Do you actually watch any of the games last year. He played plenty of snaps in games. He actually had what I would call a break out season. He needed a RS year to develop and didn't get it.

It's funny how guys always remember Suh as this extremely dominant player, which he was, for 2 years. He was very productive as a Jr and a Sr. Not nearly as productive as a Soph. He barely played as a RS freshman.

There are very few defensive or offensive linemen that come on to a team and are completely dominant from day 1. It just doesn't happen. Playing on the lines is for mature bodies and is a highly technical position. It takes time to learn the position. Even Suh needed time to develop. Steve Warren was an All American his senior year. It was a break out year for him before that he could never stay healthy. He had 1 really good year.

The problem with most peoples memories, and Nebraska's defensive linemen, is that they always had tons of depth. Defensive linemen were usually never any more than a 2 year starter back when Nebraska was really good. Occasionally you had the 3 year starter Jason Peter was that, but even then he red shirted and was a back up his RS Freshman year and didn't play a ton in 1994.

Do you actually watch any of the games last year. He played plenty of snaps in games. He actually had what I would call a break out season. He needed a RS year to develop and didn't get it.

It's funny how guys always remember Suh as this extremely dominant player, which he was, for 2 years. He was very productive as a Jr and a Sr. Not nearly as productive as a Soph. He barely played as a RS freshman.

There are very few defensive or offensive linemen that come on to a team and are completely dominant from day 1. It just doesn't happen. Playing on the lines is for mature bodies and is a highly technical position. It takes time to learn the position. Even Suh needed time to develop. Steve Warren was an All American his senior year. It was a break out year for him before that he could never stay healthy. He had 1 really good year.

The problem with most peoples memories, and Nebraska's defensive linemen, is that they always had tons of depth. Defensive linemen were usually never any more than a 2 year starter back when Nebraska was really good. Occasionally you had the 3 year starter Jason Peter was that, but even then he red shirted and was a back up his RS Freshman year and didn't play a ton in 1994.
Are you saying players,especially bigger ones,need experience and each year, their bodies to mature?
Its been pointed out , not sure everyone will agree

Great post

Actually, to be fair to Damion, you could acknowledge that you're presenting an old narrative from prior years. He proved in '20 he can go longer than you say.

I watched every game last year so I know what my eyes were telling me about Daniels. Just to be sure, I rewatched every defensive snap from the Ohio State, Penn State, and Iowa games last year on youtube. First, Daniels only plays about 25-30% of the time. Second, at no time did he stay in for more than 3 consecutive snaps (usually he is only in for 2 snaps at a time). Further, you can literally see the progression from snap 1 to snap 2 to snap 3. Snap 1 he is pushing his guy backwards; snap 2 he is still doing a good job but most often a stalemate; snap 3 he is getting pushed backwards or falling down.

I think Chinander sees what I see; Daniels is a good lineman who, for whatever reason, can't go full out for more than 2 or 3 snaps at a time. It is not like he is a young player either. He has been here since 2017.

I watched every game last year so I know what my eyes were telling me about Daniels. Just to be sure, I rewatched every defensive snap from the Ohio State, Penn State, and Iowa games last year on youtube. First, Daniels only plays about 25-30% of the time. Second, at no time did he stay in for more than 3 consecutive snaps (usually he is only in for 2 snaps at a time). Further, you can literally see the progression from snap 1 to snap 2 to snap 3. Snap 1 he is pushing his guy backwards; snap 2 he is still doing a good job but most often a stalemate; snap 3 he is getting pushed backwards or falling down.

I think Chinander sees what I see; Daniels is a good lineman who, for whatever reason, can't go full out for more than 2 or 3 snaps at a time. It is not like he is a young player either. He has been here since 2017.

I will have to find the article, but I remember a specific article where both Chinander and Tuiloti commented on how Daniels increased his workload in 2020 versus 2019, and while they still want more improvement, they are happy with the work he put in to get in better shape.
I don't see how anyone could watch last year and not see a difference with him from the previous 2 years.

I will have to find the article, but I remember a specific article where both Chinander and Tuiloti commented on how Daniels increased his workload in 2020 versus 2019, and while they still want more improvement, they are happy with the work he put in to get in better shape.
I don't see how anyone could watch last year and not see a difference with him from the previous 2 years.
Add to that, our base changes are more numerous with more capable guys at other positions.
Hes showing growth and development, things the team needs

I think our best starting linemen against a run-heavy team like Wisconsin, Iowa or Minnesota would be Daniels, Robinson, and Stille. I think those three would be very stout against the run. In order for that to happen Daniels needs to play in more than 25-30% of the snaps, and he needs to be able to go full-out for each snap. If Daniels can get there and those three guys stay healthy I like our chances to have a good defense this year.

Might be time for this image in this thread...

fposter,small,wall_texture,product,750x1000.jpg

I think our best starting linemen against a run-heavy team like Wisconsin, Iowa or Minnesota would be Daniels, Robinson, and Stille. I think those three would be very stout against the run. In order for that to happen Daniels needs to play in more than 25-30% of the snaps, and he needs to be able to go full-out for each snap. If Daniels can get there and those three guys stay healthy I like our chances to have a good defense this year.

I think he was there last year. Except Chinander rotated linemen a lot. But I'm pretty sure he played 25% of the snaps most games.

I think he was there last year. Except Chinander rotated linemen a lot. But I'm pretty sure he played 25% of the snaps most games.
I believe they wanted him at 20 plus snaps a game, and hes likely close to that.
This is no different than having Domann playing every snap, th big boy in th middles working double time, and is expected to be subbed out, the only real question is how often, and again, he's almost there.

I didnt notice as much attention as when VV was subbed out.

We do need a back up for depth, where leaving in an 'end' at the end spot, while just getting a true nose to replace him helps the depth overall

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back