• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Top Huskers 2023 QB Prospect Reese Mooney Will Picks Vanderbilt

Do you think Mooney is a better prospect than some/all of our recent class QBs (McCaffrey, Smothers, Haarberg)?
Athletically, no (not saying he is a bad athlete, but he's not in the class of those three). But mechanics wise, yes. This is going to be truly fascinating as he is a traditional pro style QB with the ability to throw while moving. He is not of the duel threat variety. Personally, I like this kid a lot. It may be a sign there is a true shift in offensive philosophy happening right now with Frost and crew. We've heard about this so called shift to a power running game. Just find it odd that Scott is potentially moving away from what got him where he is.

Do you think Mooney is a better prospect than some/all of our recent class QBs (McCaffrey, Smothers, Haarberg)?

Its hard to tell at this point in time as he is still a Sophomore in high school but appears to be a 4 star talent with a high ceiling

Has a great arm and throws well on the run which is a huge plus in my opinion

The Rutgers game is a blue print of where the offense is going. A more power oriented down hill running game relying more on a vertical passing game thus the taller more physical receivers and tight ends we are bringing in.

I think you will still see some of the spread option in the offense going forward a move toward a more physical ground oriented offense which I think the staff has figured out is needed to compete and win in the very physical B1G

In that sense he appears to be a good fit for that vision and his two sport ability will play into that too

Top guy on the 2023 QB board so that should tell us something

Oh and really good question!

Last edited:
Its hard to tell at this point in time as he is still a Sophomore in high school but appears to be a 4 star talent with a high ceiling

The Rutgers game is a blue print of where the offense is going. A more power oriented down hill running game relying more on a vertical passing game thus the taller more physical receivers and tight ends we are bringing in.

I think you will still see some of the spread option in the offense going forward a move toward a more physical ground oriented offense which I think the staff has figured out is needed to compete and win in the very physical B1G

In that sense he appears to be a good fit for that vision and his two sport ability will play into that too

What's a "spread option" in your parlance? Shotgun with 2 backs, one read to the middle and the other an option to the edge? One back, read the end to determine pitch?

I'm just curious, as I think that 2 backs flanking the QB shotgun triple option look would be relatively easy to implement and drive defenses crazy even if you only used it 3-4 times a game. Also gives you a default blocker and a check-down receiver on pass plays. Could even motion the Duck-R out of the backfield into an RPO / draw look. Much fun.

Last edited:
What's a "spread option" in your parlance? Shotgun with 2 backs, one read to the middle and the other an option to the edge? One back, read the end to determine pitch?

I'm just curious, as I think that 2 backs flanking the QB shotgun triple option look would be relatively easy to implement and drive defenses crazy even if you only used it 3-4 times a game. Also gives you a default blocker and a check-down receiver on pass plays. Could even motion the Duck-R out of the backfield into an RPO / draw look. Much fun.

What we ran the past three seasons with Duck R etc

Athletically, no (not saying he is a bad athlete, but he's not in the class of those three). But mechanics wise, yes. This is going to be truly fascinating as he is a traditional pro style QB with the ability to throw while moving. He is not of the duel threat variety. Personally, I like this kid a lot. It may be a sign there is a true shift in offensive philosophy happening right now with Frost and crew. We've heard about this so called shift to a power running game. Just find it odd that Scott is potentially moving away from what got him where he is.
Agreed. Pertaining to the bolded above, what I have "heard" is that he isn't as mobile as the QB's we have recently had but is, as you stated, way more mechanical sound. Basically, is a true "Pro" style QB as opposed to all the "Dual" QB's we have/had. So essentially a more dialed/polished passer but won't be a 100 yard a game rusher. Would be a great get, IMO.

PHYSICAL Ground oriented offense...BINGO!

There is some legitimate criticism that could be leveled at this staff but what QB to go after is not one of them

I wouldn't agree. ;)

I think 2AM was a great recruit. Most "experts" would have agreed that McCaffery was a guy you bring in and let compete but shouldn't have been the lone QB recruit. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Smothers didn't have an amazing offer list (that OSU offer was not committable) - though I have no problem with his recruitment as the sole QB in his class. Haar was a reach and wasn't anywhere close to the top of our board. I like bringing in players like him, but again, not as a sole QB of the class. The reports on him are pretty good so far....better than the reports we got early on LM and Smothers. So, maybe he proves me wrong. I'm hoping this paragraph comes back to bite me in the ass in 2 years.

I'm actually more concerned with Ms. Mario's ability to teach at this level than our recruiting though. I don't think anyone would argue that 2AM should be better than what we've seen, even with his weaknesses. He should be, at minimum, a very serviceable QB in the B1G West. Though I'm not sure what he could have done with LM. It appeared Luke couldn't read a defense to save his life.......but is that on Mario? I have no idea, but all signs point to it. 2AM has serious trouble with pre-snap reads as well.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back