• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bubba Starling............

huskerman1

Scout Team
10 Year Member
I just noticed that Bubba Starling didn't make the 40 man roster for KC. Maybe he'd still like to try QB.

Royals could have had Anthony Rendon, Francisco Lindor, Javier Baez...all drafted no later than four picks after Starling!

I watched Starling play 6 or 7 games at Werner Park. He has everything you’d want out of a high-level center fielder defensively (very underrated arm, guy has a hose). For whatever reason, he has trouble reading/seeing pitches, especially off-speed stuff. I don’t know if he’s not picking it up and diagnosing it early enough or what. This just kills his contact rate in AAA, MLB pitchers would absolutely eat him up. There’s no shame in it though, only the elite of the elite can do it.

I still think he made the right decision though. He made a lot of money and made it to The Show. I can’t imagine he would have been able to make that much money in football, I doubt he would have made the NFL.

Royals could have had Anthony Rendon, Francisco Lindor, Javier Baez...all drafted no later than four picks after Starling!

I watched Starling play 6 or 7 games at Werner Park. He has everything you’d want out of a high-level center fielder defensively (very underrated arm, guy has a hose). For whatever reason, he has trouble reading/seeing pitches, especially off-speed stuff. I don’t know if he’s not picking it up and diagnosing it early enough or what. This just kills his contact rate in AAA, MLB pitchers would absolutely eat him up. There’s no shame in it though, only the elite of the elite can do it.

I still think he made the right decision though. He made a lot of money and made it to The Show. I can’t imagine he would have been able to make that much money in football, I doubt he would have made the NFL.

Gotta agree. The dude made the show. He was able to live comfortable playing baseball for a living for years. The decade of experience alone makes him more than qualified to make a career out of coaching/training ball for the rest of his life. He generated well over 10 million income combined player salary + endorsements and, if reports are correct, was smart enough not to burn through it. He "should" be able to live comfortably and do something to make him happy for the rest of his life.

Yeah, why is minor league baseball so bad? he is still under contract with the royals, just not the big time. he made enough money in that first deal to not do a damn thing the rest of his life. Not sure what the other contracts have been money wise, but I bet still pretty decent, considering.

I would have made the same decision. Make bank with an MLB contract even without being a star and avoid the potentially life-altering effects from wear and tear on the football field. Still rooting for him to find some success. :Huskerflag:

To be fair those other guys would have priced themselves out of KC by now, but we still got Bubba.

Gotta agree. The dude made the show. He was able to live comfortable playing baseball for a living for years. The decade of experience alone makes him more than qualified to make a career out of coaching/training ball for the rest of his life. He generated well over 10 million income combined player salary + endorsements and, if reports are correct, was smart enough not to burn through it. He "should" be able to live comfortably and do something to make him happy for the rest of his life.
“The humongous part about being a celebrity is cashing in on it — making s**tloads of money, having expensive, luxurious things. That way, in case one day you’re not famous, you can still be rich as hell and better than everyone around you.”

Kenny ####### Powers

“The humongous part about being a celebrity is cashing in on it — making s**tloads of money, having expensive, luxurious things. That way, in case one day you’re not famous, you can still be rich as hell and better than everyone around you.”

Kenny ####### Powers
Ha. Read that as Kenny Rogers the first time.

Cause when you're the Gambler, the world is your ocean.

Brandon Weeden

Sure, it's happened before. But Weeden was 23 when he stopped pursuing MLB and enrolled at Oklahoma State. Chris Weinke is another, who enrolled at FSU at age 26 after pursuing baseball.

If Bubba were to go back to college to play football, he'd be 29 this fall. And he'd be roughly 33 if he were then to go on to the NFL (as Weeden and Wienke did).

Bubba's window of opportunity has likely closed so far as football is concerned. Though maybe he'll desire a college degree. He's certainly not in shambles from his baseball experience.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back