• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Kaden Helms just burned out on NE and wants out of the state

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oh my gosh. We are so overdue for some winning.

It could cure so many ills. And frankly, Frost and Moos have taken this program about as far as it can go without actual results on the field.

Only one thing left to do at this point.

I think they've done a really good job without results, if that makes sense. They can't do much else without some W's.

It's just interesting, we had to fend off Robinson leaving even during the 2019 season, way before Covid was even around. Go look at his touches pre NIU to the games after that. Inner circle gets mad, we change things up a bit to try and calm them down. We couldn't get him the ball enough throwing it to him so we started just handing it off to him.

I bring that up again because we don't have really any experience at WR and RB now that Robinson and Mills are gone. I think we have talent there, but can they mesh with Martinez fast enough? Our defense will be fine, we are fine in terms of S/C, it's all about if guys like Stepp, Manning, Martin, Toure, Brown, Betts, and Falck can take that next step.

I'll also bring up another beacon of light for some people... before 2019 we basically held Martinez out of the spring. He had a really good 2018 campaign, but guys like Spielman, Washington, and a ton of our skill guys were either out with injuries, not here yet, etc. In 2019, our RBs for the spring were guys like Belt, Bradley, Mazour, etc. We just didn't stay sharp in 2019 IMO. 2020 you had Covid with the inability to stay sharp and losing spring. This year, you have all your weapons here that you will have for the fall, so you can start getting in sync.

I think they've done a really good job without results, if that makes sense. They can't do much else without some W's.

It's just interesting, we had to fend off Robinson leaving even during the 2019 season, way before Covid was even around. Go look at his touches pre NIU to the games after that. Inner circle gets mad, we change things up a bit to try and calm them down. We couldn't get him the ball enough throwing it to him so we started just handing it off to him.

I bring that up again because we don't have really any experience at WR and RB now that Robinson and Mills are gone. I think we have talent there, but can they mesh with Martinez fast enough? Our defense will be fine, we are fine in terms of S/C, it's all about if guys like Stepp, Manning, Martin, Toure, Brown, Betts, and Falck can take that next step.

I'll also bring up another beacon of light for some people... before 2019 we basically held Martinez out of the spring. He had a really good 2018 campaign, but guys like Spielman, Washington, and a ton of our skill guys were either out with injuries, not here yet, etc. In 2019, our RBs for the spring were guys like Belt, Bradley, Mazour, etc. We just didn't stay sharp in 2019 IMO. 2020 you had Covid with the inability to stay sharp and losing spring. This year, you have all your weapons here that you will have for the fall, so you can start getting in sync.

Do I sense a touch of optimism?

One of the reasons for optimism for Nebraska, IMO, is that the biggest question marks on offense are at RB and WR. Those are the two easiest positions for people to come in and excel early.

There are a lot of 'ifs', but "if" Omar Manning is right mentally, he's talented enough to be a big difference maker. A starting group of Touré, Manning and Martin has the potential to be pretty formidable. Throw in a guy like Betts who has the potential to be special and "if" he takes a step in his development, you could really have something. And "if" Alante Brown or Will Nixon - who the staff is high on - do the same, all of a sudden you have a good looking group.

At RB, it's a lot of the same thing. IMPO RB is the easiest spot to come in and flourish early. So even though everyone in that room is basically untested, Held has brought in several four-star guys. It'll probably be Stepp that gets the bulk of the carries, at least initially, but I really liked Morrison coming out. And Scott and Ervin are also really talented.

This will be the best defense Nebraska has had in several years. You're returning a QB who will be starting for a 4th season. The TE room is stacked. The O-line looks good on paper and actually has a lot of depth. There's Koolaid to be drinken. But of course, there always is in the offseason. These coaches and players gotta prove it on the field, period.

One of the reasons for optimism for Nebraska, IMO, is that the biggest question marks on offense are at RB and WR. Those are the two easiest positions for people to come in and excel early.

There are a lot of 'ifs', but "if" Omar Manning is right mentally, he's talented enough to be a big difference maker. A starting group of Touré, Manning and Martin has the potential to be pretty formidable. Throw in a guy like Betts who has the potential to be special and "if" he takes a step in his development, you could really have something. And "if" Alante Brown or Will Nixon - who the staff is high on - do the same, all of a sudden you have a good looking group.

At RB, it's a lot of the same thing. IMPO RB is the easiest spot to come in and flourish early. So even though everyone in that room is basically untested, Held has brought in several four-star guys. It'll probably be Stepp that gets the bulk of the carries, at least initially, but I really liked Morrison coming out. And Scott and Ervin are also really talented.

This will be the best defense Nebraska has had in several years. You're returning a QB who will be starting for a 4th season. The TE room is stacked. The O-line looks good on paper and actually has a lot of depth. There's Koolaid to be drinken. But of course, there always is in the offseason. These coaches and players gotta prove it on the field, period.
Absolutely spot on. If our offense was humming but we were still 12-20 these past 3 years I would be worried, because Frost was brought here to be an offensive guru. The fact what he oversees is what is holding us back, that gives me encouragement. As you pointed out, RB and WR is the easiest to get on the field early in college football. Now, I have no idea why that hasn't been true with us the past 3 years, but it makes me optimistic. I'm curious how our OL will be, I thought having the most experience returning on the OL in the conference for 2020 would be a good thing, we ended up starting two new guys (Benhart and Piper) and it didn't work out the way we wanted. Now for 2021 we will probably have the least experience returning on the OL in the conference. But sometimes graduation is a good thing. We aren't very deep at QB but realistically, if you are relying on your #2 QB for multiple games you aren't in a great spot anyway.

Per bolded, yeah, about that....IMO, and not to over-dramatic but he needs a heckuva a lot more right now than football..and I hope he gets what he needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back