• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

So Supreme Court taking up paying players

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately that only represents a smaller portion of all head coaches in all sports and all divisions. Once the pay the players movement starts it will likely mean all athletes. Title IX will probably drive that.
Totally unworkable and also unrealistic attempting to apply Title IX to revenue producing sports like FBS football and basketball. It would be laughable since those other sports are never revenue positive. What would those athletes in those other sports get paid for doing? Simply existing? Pay them for all the income which would be negative income? Granted with some of the idiotic recent high court decisions I suppose anything is possible. :Rolf:

I think a compromise is to forbid colleges from compensating athletes a dime, other than the athletic scholarship, which is a grant.

On the other hand, the NCAA cannot forbid athletes from cashing on on their own name and reputation as a side hustle.

Everyone should have the chance to earn a buck in this country.
Colleges are already paying players a stipend which is substantial in some cases. So if they are only compensated with a athletic scholarships, room and board, medical, etc they would be going backwards. I'm against direct payments but with courts you simply never know what will happen.

Colleges are already paying players a stipend which is substantial in some cases. So if they are only compensated with a athletic scholarships, room and board, medical, etc they would be going backwards. I'm against direct payments but with courts you simply never know what will happen.

yep, the stipend will have to stop, or else the show is over. Pandora's Box.

It will be the death of sports at this level. As least, as we know it. Not a good idea. Sign or don’t, your choice. Once you sign the disclosure, you receive your benefits, and you can’t sue for likeness, or any other stated measure. If that’s BS to the player, then go make your own damn likeness. They wouldn’t have anything without the limelight placed on THEM. National TV exposure, 80,000 plus packed stadiums.
Not going to disagree but we are at the point of no return I think. It’s only a matter of time now

Totally unworkable and also unrealistic attempting to apply Title IX to revenue producing sports like FBS football and basketball. It would be laughable since those other sports are never revenue positive. What would those athletes in those other sports get paid for doing? Simply existing? Pay them for all the income which would be negative income? Granted with some of the idiotic recent high court decisions I suppose anything is possible. :Rolf:
I guess that is my point. The law already requires through Title IX it be equal. It doesn't account for whether they are revenue producing or not. I just don't understand how you can pay a football player and not a woman gymnastic according to title IX. We already have them yelling their weight room nor their budgets are the same as the mens at the NCAA basket tournament but one brings in billions the other.....well I don't know.

Not going to disagree but we are at the point of no return I think. It’s only a matter of time now
I totally agree with this. Something has to give because their demands aren't going to match up with Title IX requirements. To do that.....even at a successful place like Nebraska we are looking at men's football and basketball along with a hand full of woman's sports. I'm not sure how smaller schools can even have sports programs.

I totally agree with this. Something has to give because their demands aren't going to match up with Title IX requirements. To do that.....even at a successful place like Nebraska we are looking at men's football and basketball along with a hand full of woman's sports. I'm not sure how smaller schools can even have sports programs.
They won’t have sports and all those scholarships will be lost. Or those schools will have to fall out of division one and go division two

Let’s not forget those that “identify” as women. Where do they fit?
1617738826811.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back