• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

So Supreme Court taking up paying players

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of the players will never see the next level. Do people even realize, that them just playing a sport, whether good or not, just having, I played football at Nebraska, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Marshall, WV, Oregon, (and countless other schools) on your resume will get you hired? Often, a pretty damn good job. These guys get perks others will never see. If you want to ruin the sport totally, then go ahead, pay them.
U are right they will have perks after sports that no one will see but people don’t think like that. They just think about the here and now. Colleges are making millions and the football or whatever players are making that for them and not seeing anything other than scraps aka full scholarships. I don’t agree with paying players but it’s going to happen wether I like it or not. I do however see this helping out football program since we have a big enough brand right now. In some ways I would much rather see it happen now then years down the road cause the longer we go without winning championships the lower our brand sinks.

U are right they will have perks after sports that no one will see but people don’t think like that. They just think about the here and now. Colleges are making millions and the football or whatever players are making that for them and not seeing anything other than scraps aka full scholarships. I don’t agree with paying players but it’s going to happen wether I like it or not. I do however see this helping out football program since we have a big enough brand right now. In some ways I would much rather see it happen now then years down the road cause the longer we go without winning championships the lower our brand sinks.
Then don’t texasing play! Simple as that. Take the opportunity, or not. No one is holding a gun to their heads. These are the rules, that’s it. Sign here, or not. No grey area. You know what, 95% still sign.

Then don’t texasing play! Simple as that. Take the opportunity, or not. No one is holding a gun to their heads. These are the rules, that’s it. Sign here, or not. No grey area. You know what, 95% still sign.
Ur right but at the end of the day it’s going to happen

Ur right but at the end of the day it’s going to happen
It will be the death of sports at this level. As least, as we know it. Not a good idea. Sign or don’t, your choice. Once you sign the disclosure, you receive your benefits, and you can’t sue for likeness, or any other stated measure. If that’s BS to the player, then go make your own damn likeness. They wouldn’t have anything without the limelight placed on THEM. National TV exposure, 80,000 plus packed stadiums.

I read one of the big issues driving this pay for play for players is the outrageous salaries paid to coaches! In most states the highest paid public employee (by millions) is a head football and/or basketball coach. Millions paid to them even when they are failing to field good teams (cough, cough). Coaches and their families are being set up for life from public institutions while the majority of players sacrifice their health for a stipend and scholarships. That seems to be the main focus of the argument. Since not many schools actually make money from their athletic programs it's a strange situation.

I have no idea if that's accurate or how much (if any) those huge coaching salaries have helped bring pay for play to the courts. No idea how this would actually work if enacted and neither will the Supreme Court imo. Just have to kick back and see what happens but the decision isn't expected until June.

Last edited:

Sounds good that 95% will still sign. Right now its actually 100%. This isn't a movement led by the players. Its led by lawyers and politicians. All it takes is a single law firm to see it as a get rich scheme for them so they gather a hand full of players somewhere and a few of their golf buddy politicians together and create a social frenzy on the issue calling it racially and socially unfair and the movement begins. As soon as it catches on everyone without a brain thinks the players deserve what the University brings in from football without realizing its not them bringing in the money. Its the players from the last 50 years and all the donors and taxpayers funding funding the infrastructure to build that name brand.

College athletes is about to take a huge backward slide like many of the pro sports are feeling. Attendance and viewership has been in a decline even before the pandemic.

I don’t care if athletes get some money. I really wish the payments would be equal for everyone and come from the NCAA though. If we leave it up to the schools it will be unfair and abused.

I read one of the big issues driving this pay for play for players is the outrageous salaries paid to coaches! In most states the highest paid public employee (by millions) is a head football and/or basketball coach. Millions paid to them even when they are failing to field good teams (cough, cough). Coaches and their families are being set up for life from public institutions while the majority of players sacrifice their health for a stipend and scholarships. That seems to be the main focus of the argument. Since not many schools actually make money from their athletic programs it's a strange situation.

I have no idea if that's accurate or how much (if any) those huge coaching salaries have helped bring pay for play to the courts. No idea how this would actually work if enacted and neither will the Supreme Court imo. Just have to kick back and see what happens but the decision isn't expected until June.

I agree, the money coaches make is the most egregious thing I have seen.

who defines outrageous salaries ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back