• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

So Supreme Court taking up paying players

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think the the SC rules in such a way that pretty much blows up the current model of college athletics. Schools will either be fish or fowl, but not parts of both.

We will be left with 30-40 schools that break away from the NCAA and pay their athletes - all of them. Only 30-40 will be able to pay the freight. Those athletes will get scholarships, a minimum wage, and other perks.

The rest of the college sports world is headed toward non-scholarship athletics. You wanna ball at XYZ University? That’s fine, but you won’t be given a dime to do that. You can try out for the team and we will provide your unis and the bus. Just like high school. Athletics are extracurricular and the school owes you squat.

That’s where we are heading, folks.

Last edited:
Here is a great article of the situation and where we may be headed. “Spectator sport” athletes (football, basketball) get scholarships. Participation sport athletes (golf, tennis) get zilcho. Probably not even a full time coach. At non P5 schools, I predict no one is getting squat. Game over.

Buckle up boys!

Last edited:

I just disagree with paying players who are all ready getting a scholly and free room and board. I know I will get blasted for that and that players put in more time effort and engery into the programs and the university makes money off them etc which I get. However can you really put a price on an education these day. Coming away from college debt free from a major university has its merits.
Most of the players will never see the next level. Do people even realize, that them just playing a sport, whether good or not, just having, I played football at Nebraska, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Marshall, WV, Oregon, (and countless other schools) on your resume will get you hired? Often, a pretty damn good job. These guys get perks others will never see. If you want to ruin the sport totally, then go ahead, pay them.

So if we pay players, does that mean they will sign a contract for x years? Will teams be able to trade players? Will there be a salary cap?
Not sure how they are going to do it but paying players is going to happen. To much money for the players not to be payed

The ncaa will likely lose this case. It's a matter of how badly they lose I think. Mixed feelings on this. Not sure this is the answer but football probably needs something done to make it more competitive. Every year is bama, clemson, ohio st and oklahoma. Sometimes notre dame gets rocked I guess.

Not sure how they are going to do it but paying players is going to happen. To much money for the players not to be payed

With the amount of money being made off these players it's a dilemma for sure. I hate it though because it will undoubtedly change college football as we know it. It's already changed a lot and not for the better.

I would be in favor of a hybrid situation where a capped allowance of outside likeness licensing will be available, held in trust until they are done playing, graduated, or exhausted their eligibility. With a possible monthly allowance for living expenses. It would definitely call for additional personnel in the compliance areas.

If players are going to be paid, do they then become employees of the university. Do they get benefits outside of the ones they received on scholarship. Can they unionize and hold the university to increase salaries or strike and not play games.
Lots of issues coming, including if they are considered employees then all benefits will become taxable.

If players are going to be paid, do they then become employees of the university. Do they get benefits outside of the ones they received on scholarship. Can they unionize and hold the university to increase salaries or strike and not play games.
Lots of issues coming, including if they are considered employees then all benefits will become taxable.
All good questions that I don’t have the answer for. Just don’t think them striking will be very affective. Cause if the lower kids or aka walk ons don’t strike they could effectively still play games. To me it’s going to be a mess for a little bit when the hammer actually falls. Just not sure how they are going to pay the players. Wether it be letting them use their names to make money or go out right pay them a wage at which point they would be employees at that point not students in my eyes

With the amount of money being made off these players it's a dilemma for sure. I hate it though because it will undoubtedly change college football as we know it. It's already changed a lot and not for the better.
Not to worry,the government will come to the rescue.Get the courts involved and all will be good again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back