• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Pac-12 Seeking "More Modern" Conference Structure

No, but instability wasn't the best word. I was referring to the growing fracture between Nebraska and the Big Ten. Covid really highlighted that the conference does not particularly care about any individual school, except maybe Ohio State.

I think that's possibly a strictly NU point of view. Not sure other conf members see it that way.

BSU is actually pretty solid at a lot of sports, not just football. They play decent men's and women's bball. Their volleyball is decent. They have a good women's gymnastics team. They were just starting up baseball again last spring and then dropped it due to covid.

Academically they do not fit the PAC 12 model, but are getting better.
You could say similar things about Nebraska!

I won't dive into that, I can only speak to how I perceive how they perceive Nebraska. There's a wide cultural gulf, and in this case, it means the Pac-12 will almost certainly never even consider adding Nebraska.
Substitute B1G for Pac-12

Last edited:
Substitute B1G for Pac-12
If the whirlwind of conference expansion occurred today rather than a decade ago, Nebraska would have been left in the Big XII. Culture change has accelerated in recent years. With how poorly Nebraska was received when it wanted to play football this past year, it's clear to me that even our conference mates think very little of us and the state.

I won't dive into that, I can only speak to how I perceive how they perceive Nebraska. There's a wide cultural gulf, and in this case, it means the Pac-12 will almost certainly never even consider adding Nebraska.

I would say having lived in both Idaho and Nebraska that Idaho is more "Culturally Regressive" than Nebraska.
You could say similar things about Nebraska!

Nebraska is way ahead of BSU academically. Boise St was a Jr College up until 1965. Most Idaho grads still call BSU "Boise CC" to show their disdain for it.

I would say Nebraska is very much on par academically with Oregon St and Washington St.

Last edited:
I would say having lived in both Idaho and Nebraska that Idaho is more "Culturally Regressive" than Nebraska.

Nebraska is way ahead of BSU academically. Boise St was a Jr College up until 1965. Most Idaho grads still call BSU "Boise CC" to show their disdain for it.

I would say Nebraska is very much on par academically with Oregon St and Washington St.
I don't really want to get into a contest with Idaho about which state is more progressive. Regardless, I don't think BYU or Boise St are on the Pac-12's radar at all.

I think Pac-12 expansion will probably be done in a different way. For instance, they might sell their TV deal jointly with the Big XII but otherwise remain an independent conference, content with 12 culturally-aligned schools. I also wouldn't be surprised if the Pac-12 again attempts some sort of scheduling alliance / loose merger with the B1G. They may also try to strengthen their deal with the Rose Bowl to ensure it's always a Pac-12 vs B1G champs matchup.

But ultimately, I think they're looking at things like selling direct to the consumer rather than thru cable and OTT providers. The Pac-12 has always been the most customer-centric league, and if they're building an even more forward-looking vision, then the type of sports they play, the rules that they play with, etc. would all be on the table to be more accessible to viewers.

I don't really want to get into a contest with Idaho about which state is more progressive. Regardless, I don't think BYU or Boise St are on the Pac-12's radar at all.

I think Pac-12 expansion will probably be done in a different way. For instance, they might sell their TV deal jointly with the Big XII but otherwise remain an independent conference, content with 12 culturally-aligned schools. I also wouldn't be surprised if the Pac-12 again attempts some sort of scheduling alliance / loose merger with the B1G. They may also try to strengthen their deal with the Rose Bowl to ensure it's always a Pac-12 vs B1G champs matchup.

But ultimately, I think they're looking at things like selling direct to the consumer rather than thru cable and OTT providers. The Pac-12 has always been the most customer-centric league, and if they're building an even more forward-looking vision, then the type of sports they play, the rules that they play with, etc. would all be on the table to be more accessible to viewers.

I don't think PAC 12 is thinking about adding BSU or BYU either. I was just commenting on how you think the left coast perceives the state of Nebraska. Your assessment isn't wrong either. That's how both coasts perceive middle America.

Probably...but who would have thought WVU ends up in the XII? Or A&M-Missouri ends up in the SEC? Its ain't over until the fat lady sings and there's always music playing in the background.

Probably...but who would have thought WVU ends up in the XII? Or A&M-Missouri ends up in the SEC? Its ain't over until the fat lady sings and there's always music playing in the background.
I actually feel like those are strong cultural fits. In this vein, I think Nebraska would flourish (culturally) in the SEC or Big XII.

Culture is probably the 2nd largest driver of CFB expansion, behind TV money.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back