• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Pessimistic or optimistic

what best fits your expectations every 10 years

• 1 division title, no conference title 3 bowl games

Votes: 9 11.1%
  • 2 division titles, 1 conference title and no playoff, 5 bowl games

Votes: 12 14.8%
  • 2-3 division titles, 2 conference title and 1 playoff 7 bowl games

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • 5+ division titles, 3 conference titles and 2 playoff, 10 bowl games

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • pessimist

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • optimist

Votes: 31 38.3%

• Total voters
I guess I need a little bit of clarification. Is this the next 10 years or is this what I want or expect Nebraska to be able to do over a 10 year period?

Over the next 10 years I expect Nebraska to get back to its winning ways and win the division 3 maybe 4 10x and go to a bowl game each year.

Once Nebraska is back to its winning ways I expect to win the division half of the time. So at least 5x over a decade and go to a bowl game each of the 10 years. Winning the conference and making a 4 team playoff are secondary to winning the division. That has to take place for the other things to happen.

For me it is unrealistic to think Nebraska can be any better than that all the time. I guess that makes me a pessimist in some fans eyes. I just want my team to be part of the game chatter again. The game and landscape of college football has change so much since 2000. I would love to see Nebraska in the mix all the time.. I would love to see them in the top 8 or so nationally every year. I just don't think that is going to happen. I still think it is possible to be a consistent 9-10 game winner each year, with that magical 11-12-13 win season thrown into the mix every few years. I just think being expecting a 1 or no loss team every year is asking a lot.

I guess I need a little bit of clarification. Is this the next 10 years or is this what I want or expect Nebraska to be able to do over a 10 year period?

Over the next 10 years I expect Nebraska to get back to its winning ways and win the division 3 maybe 4 10x and go to a bowl game each year.

Once Nebraska is back to its winning ways I expect to win the division half of the time. So at least 5x over a decade and go to a bowl game each of the 10 years. Winning the conference and making a 4 team playoff are secondary to winning the division. That has to take place for the other things to happen.

For me it is unrealistic to think Nebraska can be any better than that all the time. I guess that makes me a pessimist in some fans eyes. I just want my team to be part of the game chatter again. The game and landscape of college football has change so much since 2000. I would love to see Nebraska in the mix all the time.. I would love to see them in the top 8 or so nationally every year. I just don't think that is going to happen. I still think it is possible to be a consistent 9-10 game winner each year, with that magical 11-12-13 win season thrown into the mix every few years. I just think being expecting a 1 or no loss team every year is asking a lot.
The OP is based more from a general stand point, not specific to coach frost/Riley...etc. not specific to the next 10 years, but I was think more along the lines of where should a traditional blue blood program in a sparsely populated area with today’s world of college football so different than it was 25 years ago let alone a 100 years ago. No longer is Nebraska one of only a dozen programs on national tv regularly. No longer is Nebraska way ahead of the game in strength training, nutrition, academic support, 1 of a select few going to bowl games (we in fact are now one of the select few that are NOT going to bowl games) many of the things Nebraska did over a hundred years to put them selfs in position to have those things have been yanked out from under us with the changing landscape. Everyone is on tv, everyone goes to bowl games, academics are now an obstacle (many talented kids don’t qualify in the B1G but do at say Georgia southern, the school just down the road) or at a school like UNC where class attendance is optional. Strength and nutrition advantages or gone. Tom Osborne is gone. Bob devaney is gone. In 1980 Florida state began playing Nebraska to gain notoriety, Miami nearly fold up shop when Howard Schnellenberger swooped in. Alabama is in quit a run now with nick saban, who was a run of the mill coach at MSU before turning in to the next mr something once he headed south. Keep in mind gene stallings and Ed orgeron have won national titles at Alabama and LSU respectively. To ignore those facts among countless others is being short sighted in my opinion. But that does not mean Kansas for example as treeplanter put it. I have a hard time seeing the 1980’s when I Gaze into the future. I do however so no reason that Nebraska can not equal or surpass all of the other schools in our foot print. I see you Iowa, Wisconsin, Norte dame...etc

Your poll question is poorly phrased.

I voted my "expectations"; what I expect that DONU program should be doing, which is clouded by the fact that I am 68 y/o and lived through the Devaney/Dr. Tom glory years.

I can't believe we p*ssed those years away and I EXPECT them to return. :)

If your poll is about what I think is going to happen in the next 10 years given the current state of the program, then my "appraisal" of the current and future situation would be different than what I voted for which was utter domination of college football, DONU rightful place :).

GBR

Last edited:
I think we define expectations differently. Do you honestly, deep in your Big Red heart, expect us to beat OU and/or Ohio State this year? I don't. I would love for that to happen, but they are light years ahead of us right now and I expect we'll lose both games and by fairly large margins.

There is no way we compete for a championship this year (assuming you mean National Championship) but we've not yet sunk to the level of Kansas, although IMO, we're closer to Kansas than Alabama.

Now, if you want to say we should expect to compete in every game, give it 110%, leave it all out on the field, I'm with you. Sadly, I don't think that's been the case (as a team--certainly there are individual players who consistently play hard) for quite awhile so it difficult to expect it to happen in the near future. Hopefully, the recent player abdications indicate the beginning of a turn around.
Do I think we are going to beat the Sooners and the Buckeyes this season?
Unfortunately, no

Do I think we should expect to beat them this season?
Absolutely

Is mine a contradictory position?
Obviously

That said, let the rest of the country have their laugh at the deluded Nebraska fan still living in the past
Time will tell if Nebraska football will ever be restored and hopefully we'll be enjoying the last laugh

Husker Nation and it's gold standard expectation of excellence {unrealistic as it may be} is one of the very few things we have left to set our program apart from all others - I, for one, am not ready to let that go

I will not go gentle into that good night
Rage, rage against the dying of the light
Defiantly, my expectation is that we win every time we step on the field!

That expectation served our teams of the past quite well
It's one that is, at least partially, imbued upon the program by us, the fans

Your poll question is poorly phrased.

I voted my "expectations"; what I expect that DONU program should be doing, which is clouded by the fact that I am 68 y/o and lived through the Devaney/Dr. Tom glory years.

I can't believe we p*ssed those years away and I EXPECT them to return. :)

If your poll is about what I think is going to happen in the next 10 years given the current state of the program, then my "appraisal" of the current and future situation would be different than what I voted for which was utter domination of college football, DONU rightful place :).

GBR
Seems from my perspective you voted correctly. Expectations are not projections in my eyes... agreed i could/should have worded things better

No division title, no conference title, 2 or 3 bowl games

And no Top25 polls. A few votes possible (others receiving votes ...)

Still sold out streak continues .....

Last edited:
Pessimist.
  • Played in 4 conf championship games 20+ years.
  • Haven't sniffed a division title in what, 8 years?
  • Largely non-competitive against top conf teams.
  • No bowl game in 5 years.
  • Little reason to expect much to change in the short term.
In reality, tend to optimist instead of pessimist

1 division title, no conference title 3 bowl games​

Fairly good chance split conferences. Move from B1G member to MVC ..... Bisons, Jacks, Sioux (Hawks), Coyotes, Penguins, Leathernecks, UNI Panthers, etc, and now Huskers. Probably 5 years or so in the future. Less travel .....

MVC map
500px-Missouri_Valley_Football_Conference_Map.svg.png

Last edited:

I've gotten to the point where it's hard to even turn the games on anymore because I know there is a very, very high likelihood that we're going to lose and it hurts too much to just sit there and watch Nebraska like this. It makes me want to cry while also wanting to take a sledeghammer and destroy stuff.

I don't really care what Scott or the coaches say anymore, just be better on the field. Win football games. Show us you know what you're doing and that you're not in over your head.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Back