• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Pessimistic or optimistic

what best fits your expectations every 10 years

• 1 division title, no conference title 3 bowl games

Votes: 9 11.1%
  • 2 division titles, 1 conference title and no playoff, 5 bowl games

Votes: 12 14.8%
  • 2-3 division titles, 2 conference title and 1 playoff 7 bowl games

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • 5+ division titles, 3 conference titles and 2 playoff, 10 bowl games

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • pessimist

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • optimist

Votes: 31 38.3%

• Total voters

70county

Scout Team
20 Year Member
Lord knows the last quarter century has not gone the way Cornhusker faithful could have hoped. But rest assured, the prior quarter century+ was more than one should imagine. 5 national championships, several conference titles and countless memorable games from a sparsely populated state, is nothing to sneeze at. Resting atop of the college football world for half a century is not what should be expected again going forward, and most certainly is not the general expectation of Nebraska fans regardless of what the national media may try to portray about our expectations. the days of winning 9 games and playing the sooners for the conference title every year are over. what is the number now? how often should nebraska be in the running for division / conference title?

my other question to you is what side of the isle are you? A pessimist or an optimist? Is your glass half full or half empty? Are you a "huskers are gonna win the national title this year, book it" or a "we won't win another game."

pick 1 of the four, 10 year outlook and then either pessimistic or optimistic.

Last edited:

Pessimist.
  • Played in 4 conf championship games 20+ years.
  • Haven't sniffed a division title in what, 8 years?
  • Largely non-competitive against top conf teams.
  • No bowl game in 5 years.
  • Little reason to expect much to change in the short term.
Edit - I voted by bowl games; I think we'll make 5 bowls but I expect no conf title in the next 10 years.

Last edited:
Based on the last 4 years it is a tough to guess I am not sure this team is gelling and gonna get it done.

I’m in the category of, we will have to wait and see. The last 3 years have not given us much upon which we can place a lot of optimism. But the lack of Spring camp and the whole “Covid Fall” put an asterisk on last season for me. (I know, everyone had to deal with it. But I think a team like NU needed a Spring more than some other more “established“ teams.)

There is really no way of predicting what to expect this coming year, let alone over the next decade. Too many young faces and unknowns this year. No experience behind the starter at QB is a big deal. Hopefully, we have some WR’s and RB’s that are ready to break out.

My expectations are likely due to my optimism.

That said, I also worry that we’re beginning to get used to aiming (too) low. This likely stems from a learned helplessness.

We need to expect and commit to excellence; attention to detail, discipline and accountability.

I still believe HCSF has the ability (and will) to make the changes necessary to improve himself, his staff, and ultimately the team’s performance/results on the field.

There goes my dad-gum optimism kicking in again. ;)

Last edited:
Lord knows the last quarter century has not gone the way Cornhusker faithful could have hoped. But rest assured, the prior quarter century+ was more than one should imagine. 5 national championships, several conference titles and countless memorable games from a sparsely populated state, is nothing to sneeze at. Resting atop of the college football world for half a century is not what should be expected again going forward, and most certainly is not the general expectation of Nebraska fans regardless of what the national media may try to portray about our expectations. the days of winning 9 games and playing the sooners for the conference title every year are over. what is the number now? how often should nebraska be in the running for division / conference title?

my other question to you is what side of the isle are you? A pessimist or an optimist? Is your glass half full or half empty? Are you a "huskers are gonna win the national title this year, book it" or a "we won't win another game."

pick 1 of the four, 10 year outlook and then either pessimistic or optimistic.
The expectation for Nebraska football, whether it is realistic or not, should always, ALWAYS be to win each and every game en route to a championship!

This is a blue blood program, people
Blue blood programs expect to compete for nothing less than championships on a yearly basis

Although I certainly understand it, it distresses me to no end when I see and hear Husker fans not only tempering their expectations {sometimes to embarrassingly low levels}, but actually chastising those who steadfastly refuse to do likewise...

I truly believe that the day that Husker Nation, as a whole, stops expecting to annually compete for championships is the day that Nebraska football will turn permanently, and without hope of ever recovering, into Kansas football

The expectation for Nebraska football, whether it is realistic or not, should always, ALWAYS be to win each and every game en route to a championship!

Blue blood programs expect to compete for nothing less than championships on a yearly basis

Although I certainly understand it, it distresses me to no end when I see and hear Husker fans not only tempering their expectations {sometimes to embarrassingly low levels}, but actually chastising those who steadfastly refuse to do likewise...

I truly believe that the day that Husker Nation, as a whole, stops expecting to annually compete for championships is the day that Nebraska football will turn permanently, and without hope of ever recovering, into Kansas football
so then expectation should be 10 national titles??? ones desires should not be ones expectations, nor is ones projections for that matter. i don't see us winning many games next year but i would love to win them all. my expectations far exceed my projection but are also much less than i would like. curious what was your selection if any.

Completely agree, but we gotta crawl before we walk before we run. It isn't just gonna happen out of the blue.

Optimism in Nebraska? good one. ;)

Realistic... in the hunt/competing for division & conference titles annually. Bowl streak revived.

it's likely going to take time ... I'm willing to wait.

so then expectation should be 10 national titles??? ones desires should not be ones expectations, nor is ones projections for that matter. i don't see us winning many games next year but i would love to win them all. my expectations far exceed my projection but are also much less than i would like. curious what was your selection if any.
Yes, the expectation should be 10 national titles every 10 years

Is that realistic?
No, of course not!

It wasn't realistic from 1890-1940 when we were one of the top 10 winningest programs in all of college football

It wasn't realistic from 1962-2003 when we were, far and away, the most dominant program in the entire country

And it sure as hell isn't realistic at this moment in time!

That said, I doubt that Cornhusker football would ever have reached the heights it did were it not driven by the extremely high expectations of the people of Nebraska and I doubt even more so that the Huskers will ever again experience any kind of success even approximating the success of old should the fans abandon this expectation

I didn't actually vote, but I believe that
5+ division titles, 3 conference titles and 2 playoff, 10 bowl games
is realistic

And the reason I didn't vote is because I am conflicted over the optimist / pessimist...

Last edited:

I think we define expectations differently. Do you honestly, deep in your Big Red heart, expect us to beat OU and/or Ohio State this year? I don't. I would love for that to happen, but they are light years ahead of us right now and I expect we'll lose both games and by fairly large margins.

There is no way we compete for a championship this year (assuming you mean National Championship) but we've not yet sunk to the level of Kansas, although IMO, we're closer to Kansas than Alabama.

Now, if you want to say we should expect to compete in every game, give it 110%, leave it all out on the field, I'm with you. Sadly, I don't think that's been the case (as a team--certainly there are individual players who consistently play hard) for quite awhile so it difficult to expect it to happen in the near future. Hopefully, the recent player abdications indicate the beginning of a turn around.

GET TICKETS

Back