• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

*** Thoughts from offseason topics

Mik Riley was a gamble....

And the thought was “he does more with less”

With the follow on idea that he would take better talent and do “better”....

I’m not sure which concept was more flawed.

Riley’s one good year was when he took Pellini recruits, played a Pellini style offense, a Pellini style defense and let Tommy be Tommy.

The next year, he went to a completely new defense and started trying to stick a square peg in a round hole offensively with a drop back passer of questionable repute. Disaster. Unmitigated disaster. That along with a certain “looseness” that was instilled in attitudes and practice regimens.....

it broke the program. And unfortunately Scott has not been able to fix it....

YET.....

I think it’s this year that we start turning things around. That’s my hope. I’m optimistic!

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!

While I agree that Lee ended up being a pick 6 machine like he was at Tulane that was not a square peg round hole situation. Tanner Lee was a pro style QB, the square peg round hole would have been if he tried to force TA into more of a drop back passer. We all remember that he actually implemented elements of the read option offense while he had TA as his QB.

C

Well, if you have talent, they sill need to be coached.
It wasnt the same offense or defense.

And this is the only year that matters
You remove their past, then you remove all of it, right?
Sure, it only counts for us here, but overall, it all counts

Only thing that matters is SF's record at NU. More losing seasons and the AD will not look at his undefeated year at UCF in making his decision to retain or fire SF.

C

My bad, you were just the first to bring up MR, maybe I was wrong on your intentions.

C

I'll be honest, it irritated me hearing any semblance of Riley being brought up in comparison to Frost. If I never hear the name Mike Riley again, I'll be thrilled. So yeah, my responses were obviously filled with some frustration. That was my only intention.

Mik Riley was a gamble....

And the thought was “he does more with less”

With the follow on idea that he would take better talent and do “better”....

I’m not sure which concept was more flawed.

Riley’s one good year was when he took Pellini recruits, played a Pellini style offense, a Pellini style defense and let Tommy be Tommy.

The next year, he went to a completely new defense and started trying to stick a square peg in a round hole offensively with a drop back passer of questionable repute. Disaster. Unmitigated disaster. That along with a certain “looseness” that was instilled in attitudes and practice regimens.....

it broke the program. And unfortunately Scott has not been able to fix it....

YET.....

I think it’s this year that we start turning things around. That’s my hope. I’m optimistic!

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!
I didn’t immediate dislike the idea of Riley as HC when I first heard it. I thought: this guy sends QBs to the NFL at a no name school. And he’s Nebraska nice. I’m ok with trying this. Didn’t work out for the reasons we know and don’t know.

Show me where I in anyway tried to pass myself off as having expertise in football. When I have questions about football I go to the guys who actually coached.

Cool, so you have less experience and no connections to the program. Just wanted to be able to put your post in the proper context.

C

that was not a square peg round hole situation.
I understand what you are getting at but I still think the comparison is quite apt.

I think what I was trying to say was when Riley used the personnel and the scheme (both offense and defense) that the team had recruited for and trained years for.....he had his most successful season.

His first year he experimented on offense with too many drop backs and pro sets with Tommy.... Square peg in a round hole as you have pointed out.

The total disaster year he changed the entire offensive scheme to accommodate an untested, pro style quarterback and also took away the traditional Nebraska QB run game. And on top of that completely changed the defensive scheme under a brand new defensive coach.

And while him trying to use Lee the way that suited that quarterback’s style of play is not an example of a square peg in a round hole....

The decisions he made with the entire rest of the team I think are a clear example of square peg in a round hole....and it broke our Huskers so badly that we STILL have not recovered.

He was trying to install an Oregon State type of offense at a school with absolutely Zero history of that style of play. And the limited recruits he brought in during his time frame to fit that style play were not able to help, and in fact, hurt the program later after he left as they were recruited for “something else”.

In retrospect, had he eased his system in over the years.... he might still be around....but I personally think we would still be stuck in Oregon State style mediocrity.....Because at best, he’s a mediocre coach, quite comfortable with mediocrity. At Oregon State that’s fine. At Nebraska it isn’t.

And his firing of Banker was unconscionable after his most successful season at NU. Not so much the firing. People are fired all the time. It was the way he fired Banker......just total CS.

but enough of this. We all know we are not satisfied with Scott and the team right now. Probably a ton of different factors involved but regardless the captain is ultimately responsible for the ship. Scott’s teams at NU have disappointed up to this point. He has gotten a free pass up to now because he’s a beloved native son who helped win us a national championship.

And there is a huge amount of people like me that are just plain scared of falling into a Tennessee style coaching carousel. And I mean we fired Pellini and he never had less than 9 to 10 wins a season.....never....

I think we are “close” and I really hope it happens this year.

@solesrfr

Sorry for the long tome above.

I woke up this morning and saw my post from late last night and I really went on and on.

Will try to be briefer.

The fact that people that tried to convince themselves and others that a former coach was good, and still for some reason bring him up, also speaks volumes.

I know. And the bad part is, they're acknowledging how bad he was and are using him as comparison against Frost. And winning.

I know. And the bad part is, they're acknowledging how bad he was and are using him as comparison against Frost. And winning.

They/you aren't. Frost hasn't been good by any stretch. And he's still been better. I don't know why people still believe in this mirage that Riley was anything but a mediocre coach. It's like they tried to say he was a good hire and are still clinging to that belief.

And his firing of Banker was unconscionable after his most successful season at NU.
Blame Riley for lacking a pair of gonads ... but, I believe that Eichorst’s meddling had a lot to do with firing Banker & bringing in Diaco.

Holding on to Banker would likely only saved Riley’s firing for another year, IMHO.

Cool, so you have less experience and no connections to the program. Just wanted to be able to put your post in the proper context.

C
And I make no claims for either, meaning I am not full of BS. Try to use proper context with all posters, you may find yourself feeling a bit foolish in your fanboy behavior.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back