• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Wandale goes in depth on transfer

Actually what was said falls into a lot of what I’ve been hearing, covid was tough on a lot of players, he was reevaluating after the season with his family, actually liked the staff and a good friend of his returned( CTB) but when the home school hires a new coach and they have the chance to get into a family members ear, in a season like the one that was, it creates opportunity, even before in the portal, as long as you don’t mention the player by name it’s still legal. Winning would have nullified a lot of it. Using Kupp as a comparison as to how he would be used, IMO is a major stretch, using Bowden would be more accurate, but that how he was used here, it’s nice to throw around ideas and that you worked for a great offensive mind in Mcvay carries weight even if it was the worst offensive season they had under him. Don’t get me wrong our struggles played a part, but he is not leaving for an offense that plays better to his strengths ( still to be determined) stoops love ball control offense. With all that said Robinson has doe nothing but show great character through all of this and have nothing but respect for him. Wish nothing but the best for the kid.

I think some of the defections are because we have some talented younger players that were going to make it hard for some of these guys to keep their job...Wandale included.

He just had a coach who was trying to get him killed at the goal line and 2 starting QBs who couldn't get him the ball past about 5 yards.
Another way to look at it... he had a coach that wanted to give him opportunities to score touchdowns in the red zone, and he had trouble getting open downfield.

Wan'dale Robinson isn't a big bodied deep threat that can go up and win jump ball situations.

Talented guy, but are 5' 8" 180 lb slot receivers normally the guys that are catching the 30 yard passes? Typically they're guys that catch something shorter on the move, make a guy miss, and get good yards after the catch.

Another way to look at it... he had a coach that wanted to give him opportunities to score touchdowns in the red zone, and he had trouble getting open downfield.

Wan'dale Robinson isn't a big bodied deep threat that can go up and win jump ball situations.

Talented guy, but are 5' 8" 180 lb slot receivers normally the guys that are catching the 30 yard passes? Typically they're guys that catch something shorter on the move, make a guy miss, and get good yards after the catch.

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

I love the new narrative that we just don't have enough big bodied "jump ball" guys. There aren't a lot of teams who make a lot of hay with that as the core of their offense. How many jump balls did Bama's Heisman winner get this year?

I believe WR is a very high quality receiver and did everything asked of him at Nebraska. We'll just have to wait and see how much production he has this year at KY? My WAG is he'll be one of the better receivers in SEC with the yardage to back it up. I was very sorry to see him leave but time marches on at Nebraska without him.

I love the new narrative that we just don't have enough big bodied "jump ball" guys. There aren't a lot of teams who make a lot of hay with that as the core of their offense. How many jump balls did Bama's Heisman winner get this year?
I'm simply not placing every offensive woe on a quarterback. There are 10 other guys that needed to do their jobs on the field, which just didn't happen consistently enough. That could be due to a talent gap, a coaching gap, a chemistry gap, or anything else (or a combination of things).

I get tired of people thinking a quarterback can do everything. And I get tired of people thinking that an NFL hopeful doesn't want the ball near the goal line, no matter how it is put in his hands. That doesn't make sense.

Robinson hasn't felt the need to trash his former coaches and teammates. I don't know why our fans feel the need to do so on his behalf.

Do I wish WR was still N? Yes. But I did expect more "wow" plays from him? Yeah, a lot more. Didn't happen. Feel his production will be more than made up for this year. Think he was targeted/ used way more than he should have been.

Last edited:

I'm simply not placing every offensive woe on a quarterback. There are 10 other guys that needed to do their jobs on the field, which just didn't happen consistently enough. That could be due to a talent gap, a coaching gap, a chemistry gap, or anything else (or a combination of things).

I get tired of people thinking a quarterback can do everything. And I get tired of people thinking that an NFL hopeful doesn't want the ball near the goal line, no matter how it is put in his hands. That doesn't make sense.

Robinson hasn't felt the need to trash his former coaches and teammates. I don't know why our fans feel the need to do so on his behalf.

Though some seem to feel the need to disparage Wan'Dale.

I personally don't think the offensive woes were especially due to quarterback play, rather I think it was largely due to play calling.

I respect that Robinson hasn't trashed his former team. And maybe he never will. That's absolutely fine. But he obviously did leave for a reason -- and it wasn't just to be closer to family. And I respect that decision as well.

I don't understand the attempt to shift an overthrown deep ball to receiver height, so I'm going to shelve that, but the WR thing is/was obviously a group within the staff that thought he was the magic eraser for everything. He is a talented kid. Hated to see him go. Didn't like the way we used him and my gut tells he didn't either and that's at least one of the reasons he's gone.

To the bolded, I think ANY kid with his kind of skills is going to want the ball anywhere on the field. I'm also guessing they really want it in situations where they're likely to be successful, especially if their goal is to take their bag of tricks to the next level. 2020 saw a lot of instances where we put Robinson in a position to have to use his speed and quickness to get back to the line of scrimmage, rather than get him the ball in open space and watch him work. That's on the staff....and in some cases (especially the bubble or WR screen) on the other parts of the offensive puzzle. Martinez absolutely threw some clunkers out there that played a role in that as well. It's never one thing or one guy. I hear from multiple people here that Robinson has a 'guy' in his ear about his future and that likely played a bigger role in the transfer than anything else.

On his class shown since his departure versus what we've seen internally, we are in agreement. Everyone wants to know why and wants someone to blame. In the end it's a team sport and an individual decided to leave. Unless there is mistreatment, blame the individual. If he's not happy and has to move on, I get it. I'm not upset with him, the staff or Martinez. I'm looking forward to a long summer of waiting for September and Husker football.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back