• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

O-Town Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to be honest on the D line. I didn't see that coming.

I was very hopeful Stille would stay healthy and we'd see more minutes out of Daniels and hope we could get some production out of the rest of the kids on the roster, but I was shocked at Rodgers and Robinson's progress. The staff did a great job.
There you go, recognition of talent, the right 'fits', and development

There you go, recognition of talent, the right 'fits', and development

It hasn't been across the board.

I have seen some kids come in I really thought would be major players just not progress. I don't know if that means both the staff and I whiffed on their ceiling coming in or if they didn't develop. I....we...as fans....just can't know unless we know the kid or worked with him at the high school level.

I'd assume those relationships are pretty rare on here.

It hasn't been across the board.

I have seen some kids come in I really thought would be major players just not progress. I don't know if that means both the staff and I whiffed on their ceiling coming in or if they didn't develop. I....we...as fans....just can't know unless we know the kid or worked with him at the high school level.

I'd assume those relationships are pretty rare on here.
Its like asking why a 165 guy turns into a world class Fullback.
And why a 210 pound guy ends up washing out at FB.

The only thing I know is, if youre going to miss, miss long

Pointless to speculate... on a message board. Makes sense.

Ok, so form an entire opinion on the recruiting acumen of a staff on a kid they haven't offered yet. We don't know why they haven't offered, but since the team hasn't done well record wise, it must be because the staff is terrible.
That sounds fun.

I mean I understand that those schools are way better than us. I also agree a 4 star kid right across the river should always be offered. It does kind of feel like we are trying to make our coaches out to be chopped liver though. I'm sure they aren't as awful as identifying talent as a lot on here like to suggest. If they dont want a kid then so be it.

I'm not sure this staff deserves the benefit of the doubt at this point yet, although Tuioti (sp?) seems to be a good DL line coach. Where I have my doubts is organization when it comes when to offer and who to recruit hard. Because of all the rapid transfers with some kids never even making it to the spring game, etc, I do question their vetting process. It has to get better and hopefully it gets better. Nebraska also offers a lot of players, more than most schools, so this is a legitimate concern because of the offers of schools that appear to have it figured out better than Nebraska. The proof will be if we start winning or not. Right now, we're not winning.

I'm not sure this staff deserves the benefit of the doubt at this point yet, although Tuioti (sp?) seems to be a good DL line coach. Where I have my doubts is organization when it comes when to offer and who to recruit hard. Because of all the rapid transfers with some kids never even making it to the spring game, etc, I do question their vetting process. It has to get better and hopefully it gets better. Nebraska also offers a lot of players, more than most schools, so this is a legitimate concern because of the offers of schools that appear to have it figured out better than Nebraska. The proof will be if we start winning or not. Right now, we're not winning.
Not sure what's up, I can't put my finger on if it's the number of offers or if it's how we go about some things. Again, i've been told by someone pretty close that having a bigger recruiting staff makes things more difficult to get on the same page. Really don't know, and I can't speculate the fix. But I can tell you if I gave timelines of when contact was made initially and then chronological "reach outs" afterwards of other schools like Iowa State, Iowa, Minnesota, Mizzou, and even Florida to not only the recruit but their coach compared to Nebraska, people would be floored.

All of the stuff I point out matters wayyyyyy less if we win. Hoping to see that in 2021.

I have to be honest on the D line. I didn't see that coming.

I was very hopeful Stille would stay healthy and we'd see more minutes out of Daniels and hope we could get some production out of the rest of the kids on the roster, but I was shocked at Rodgers and Robinson's progress. The staff did a great job.

I guess for me it is not a matter of seeing it coming, it is more of a wait and see what happens. The assumption by many that the D-line would take several steps back words was nearsighted IMO.

I have said this before, in my coaching days you were always worried about how you are going to replace the graduating seniors. I was always amazed at how the younger players would step up and fill the void that was left. Maybe they were not quite as good sometimes they were better. But players step up and play, because they know it is there turn.

I was expecting a drop off but not a huge one. The younger guys stepped up and played pretty well. They will play even better this year.

I guess for me it is not a matter of seeing it coming, it is more of a wait and see what happens. The assumption by many that the D-line would take several steps back words was nearsighted IMO.

I have said this before, in my coaching days you were always worried about how you are going to replace the graduating seniors. I was always amazed at how the younger players would step up and fill the void that was left. Maybe they were not quite as good sometimes they were better. But players step up and play, because they know it is there turn.

I was expecting a drop off but not a huge one. The younger guys stepped up and played pretty well. They will play even better this year.

I think the assumption that we’d take steps back on the D line was actually a pretty solid one. We lost three kids who made it to NFL rosters. The fact that we may have been as good grade wise in 2020 is phenomenal. Should be a testament to the staff and the kids.

I think the assumption that we’d take steps back on the D line was actually a pretty solid one. We lost three kids who made it to NFL rosters. The fact that we may have been as good grade wise in 2020 is phenomenal. Should be a testament to the staff and the kids.
None were as highly rated as T Rob, the other two,we saw Stille starting to get it, and the question mark was answered better than expected by rogers and company, so it wasnt really a huge surprise, but people in the know should know better.
And Daniels indeed picked up his number of plays as well.

I look at it this way, when it comes to Beckton, our LB coaches, our D line coach and Fish, no matter who they end up with, itll turn out well, to me, thats good coaching.

Weve seen Held both define Ziggy, and get his guys going, even if its game four, The O line is just too young to make a real eval at this point.
But,the O line is getting the right guys, but maturity in that room is needed.

Last edited:

A step back is a far cry from what some were saying. I would expect a step back due to inexperience some were preaching disaster at the worst and barely serviceable at the best.

A step back is a far cry from what some were saying. I would expect a step back due to inexperience some were preaching disaster at the worst and barely serviceable at the best.

True.

Aome felt we weren’t any good with the Davis twins and Daniels.

After watching the group this past fall, we had better line play overall with the new group. Nobody seriously expected that. Nobody who’s being 100% honest with themselves.

True.

Aome felt we weren’t any good with the Davis twins and Daniels.

After watching the group this past fall, we had better line play overall with the new group. Nobody seriously expected that. Nobody who’s being 100% honest with themselves.

Again I wouldn't say I expected it, but I wanted to see what would happen. Daniels the younger, stepped up and performed as I said you often see when it really is a guys turn. It was his 3rd year in the program as it was with Rodgers. Year 3 IMO is usually when linemen on both sides of the ball take a big leap.

There is very few defensive lineman in Nebraska's history that played a ton or were expected to start and be completely dominate before they were at least a RS Soph and usually it was as a Jr. The only defensive linemen that I can think of that played significantly as a true freshman and was really decent was Grant Wistrom. With that said he was basically a pass rush guy as a freshman.

None were as highly rated as T Rob, the other two,we saw Stille starting to get it, and the question mark was answered better than expected by rogers and company, so it wasnt really a huge surprise, but people in the know should know better.
And Daniels indeed picked up his number of plays as well.

I look at it this way, when it comes to Beckton, our LB coaches, our D line coach and Fish, no matter who they end up with, itll turn out well, to me, thats good coaching.

Weve seen Held both define Ziggy, and get his guys going, even if its game four, The O line is just too young to make a real eval at this point.
But,the O line is getting the right guys, but maturity in that room is needed.
There’s no substitute for experience and Nebraska has not been able to get much of it with missed spring ball and so many injuries ( especially to WR) on offense.I expect improvement ( so many one score defeats) this season especially if the running game and special teams play improves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back