• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

O-Town Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's baffling. I guess he's either not good enough or big enough to play in Nebraska's 3-4, although Wisconsin disagrees. The Badgers have offered 13 NGs compared to 27 for Nebraska, and 16 DL total compared to 60 Husker offers. Hunter Deyo isn't an overlap offer for both schools? A kid who plays an hour from campus and is regarded as a four-star prospect by 247Sports, Rivals and ESPN, and has offers from 3-4 schools like Wisconsin and Oregon and no offer?

Makes zero sense to me. The staff could have been tag teaming and multitasking by touching bases with him while they full-court pressed Fidone the past 18+ months.

I disagreed with them when they ignored Logan Jones in 2020, and Deyo's exclusion is a mistake as well IMPO.
Lewis Central has produced 1 or 2 FBS players a year every year for the last 10 years. In that time Nebraska has signed 1, Fidone.

Nebraska heavily recruited Max Duggan under Riley and then Frost tried to build a relationship but it was too late.

Nebraska ignored Logan Jones until a month after he committed to Iowa and it was too late. Jones grew up a Husker fan and wanted to be a Husker. He waited for his offer, went to Junior Day and felt like a seat filler at an awards show while the staff fawned over kids who came from the coasts. He committed to Iowa and within in a month got an offer from Tuioti and Chinns along with hard sell but shut he shut it down because he was already committed.

Fidone dreamed of being a Husker his whole life. If Covid wouldn’t have happened it might have been more difficult to get his commitment but he most likely would have ended up in Lincoln. Regardless of his fandom, Frost and his staff recruited Fidone hard and went all out to get him.

Damon Deyo, gets calls and texts but no offer yet. 3 Big Ten schools have offered, schools who play pretty good defense, but for some reason he’s not big enough for Nebraska.

Last year Lewis Central hired a guy named Donnie Woods to be the o-line coach. Donnie was a scholarship player at Maryland and sniffed around the NFL before going into to coaching. He spent 8 years at Iowa Western and in that 8 years built a good relationship with a guy named Ryan Held. After 1 year of Woods being at Lewis Central Nebraska has yet to capitalize on the relationship between Held and Woods and build a relationship with the entire Lewis Central staff

Lewis Central has produced 1 or 2 FBS players a year every year for the last 10 years. In that time Nebraska has signed 1, Fidone.

Nebraska heavily recruited Max Duggan under Riley and then Frost tried to build a relationship but it was too late.

Nebraska ignored Logan Jones until a month after he committed to Iowa and it was too late. Jones grew up a Husker fan and wanted to be a Husker. He waited for his offer, went to Junior Day and felt like a seat filler at an awards show while the staff fawned over kids who came from the coasts. He committed to Iowa and within in a month got an offer from Tuioti and Chinns along with hard sell but shut he shut it down because he was already committed.

Fidone dreamed of being a Husker his whole life. If Covid wouldn’t have happened it might have been more difficult to get his commitment but he most likely would have ended up in Lincoln. Regardless of his fandom, Frost and his staff recruited Fidone hard and went all out to get him.

Damon Deyo, gets calls and texts but no offer yet. 3 Big Ten schools have offered, schools who play pretty good defense, but for some reason he’s not big enough for Nebraska.

Last year Lewis Central hired a guy named Donnie Woods to be the o-line coach. Donnie was a scholarship player at Maryland and sniffed around the NFL before going into to coaching. He spent 8 years at Iowa Western and in that 8 years built a good relationship with a guy named Ryan Held. After 1 year of Woods being at Lewis Central Nebraska has yet to capitalize on the relationship between Held and Woods and build a relationship with the entire Lewis Central staff
Yeah this one baffles me. Unless Coach T has a couple of big time D linemen locked up (which I don’t think he does) then you offer this kid. Why wait? So, if we don’t end up with a great D line class and miss out on Deyo I’ll be joining in on the casting of stones at the staff. I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt for now and assume they have a plan for D line.

The X factor in all of this is, have we figured out how the COVID rules are going to impact recruiting numbers for 2022? Is that part of the issue here?

Last edited:
Yeah this one baffles me. Unless Coach T has a couple of big time D linemen locked up (which I don’t think he does) then you offer this kid. Why wait? So, if we don’t end up with a great D line class and miss out on Deyo I’ll be joining in on the casting of stones at the staff. I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt for now and assume they have a plan for D line.

The X factor in all of this is, have we figured out how the COVID rules are going to impact recruiting numbers for 2022? Is that part of the issue here?

Unless the staff and Coach Tuioti have a specific reason for not offering yet or at all. For all we know, there's something they just don't like about him or they don't think he's a good fit. And since they can't comment on it, we are left to wonder why they have yet to offer.

Based on past performance I am betting they are making a mistake by not giving this kid a chance and a scholarship.

Unless the staff and Coach Tuioti have a specific reason for not offering yet or at all. For all we know, there's something they just don't like about him or they don't think he's a good fit. And since they can't comment on it, we are left to wonder why they have yet to offer.
I hope not. I don’t know what that would be. The kid has great film and he’s got offers from programs that are beating us regularly. This is not a marginal prospect.

Well since nobody on this board actually knows why, it's pointless to actually speculate, right?
I tend to give the benefit of the doubt to the staff because they have proven to put really good classes together, and they’ve made some comments that makes me think they recognize the need to push hard in the radius and ‘get the right kids’ here. I’m a believer that it’s not how you start, it’s how you finish. So we’ll see how the class ends up. I personally thought this kid was a no brainer after watching his film a year ago, so I’m baffled is all. D line is a tough position to recruit and when you have a good one in your backyard I think you should go after them. Maybe he’s already told them he’s not interested. And maybe they’re going to communicate with him a little more and then formalize an offer. I just don’t want to see us get left behind on this one.

You have to wonder.

It seems like a glaring omission, so why?

The 'they can't comment' thing seems to make a lot of sense.

The list of things they can't comment on is extremely lengthy. Lengthy like an 'O-Town Boys' thread.

I think it's more accurate to say they don't see something that 3-4 schools like Wisconsin and Oregon do. I personally defer to the Badgers ability to identify defensive talent.
I mean I understand that those schools are way better than us. I also agree a 4 star kid right across the river should always be offered. It does kind of feel like we are trying to make our coaches out to be chopped liver though. I'm sure they aren't as awful as identifying talent as a lot on here like to suggest. If they dont want a kid then so be it.

I mean I understand that those schools are way better than us. I also agree a 4 star kid right across the river should always be offered. It does kind of feel like we are trying to make our coaches out to be chopped liver though. I'm sure they aren't as awful as identifying talent as a lot on here like to suggest. If they dont want a kid then so be it.
Especially when people were saying before the beginning of this year our D line was going to be hurting,and theres no way we could replace three nflers.
I like our D and where its heading,other established schools, they have a lead on us, but its us getting better,not them getting worse thats seeing us close that gap

Especially when people were saying before the beginning of this year our D line was going to be hurting,and theres no way we could replace three nflers.
I like our D and where its heading,other established schools, they have a lead on us, but its us getting better,not them getting worse thats seeing us close that gap

I have to be honest on the D line. I didn't see that coming.

I was very hopeful Stille would stay healthy and we'd see more minutes out of Daniels and hope we could get some production out of the rest of the kids on the roster, but I was shocked at Rodgers and Robinson's progress. The staff did a great job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back