• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

*** Thoughts from offseason topics

Just saw a post on twitter that drives me absolutely nuts about our fan base currently:

So go watch the film, Matt Davison comes with "oh no" as the ball was thrown and "Wan'Dale was wide open and we overthrew him." But a fan of Nebraska is of the opinion that once we get rid of the #1 APB in the 2019 recruiting class, who reportedly ran a 4.22 40, who was billed as "everything Frost needs and a perfect fit for his offense" and replace him with a bigger WR this won't be a problem. Not that we completely missed an wide open WR and tried denting the safeties sternum with the ball.

We are in a frustrating time of Husker football for me.

So true. I don't understand the need to justify poor performance by fans. We are all grown men and women here, so can't we just call a spade a spade? Frost was fired up to get Wandale, and did bill him as an important piece of the Offense, so much so that he was probably overused, in maybe not the best ways at times. So, I think losing Wandale hurt, to some degree. I think it's ok to say I would like some taller WRs on the roster, but also that throw sucked a$$ and it needs to improve. A bigger WR might have a larger catch radius, but will he be as fast (or quick) as Wandale and get as much separation? And, it doesn't mean we hate AM because we say the throw sucked. He seems like a stand up young man, and I hope he gets squared away and has an all-conference type season, not just for us but for his own personal achievement. It's easy to root for AM when he has a good attitude and stays team focused even when getting benched, but we need better QB play to make the Offense click. We don't have the margin of error to blow opportunities to connect on big plays/scoring plays....

So true. I don't understand the need to justify poor performance by fans. We are all grown men and women here, so can't we just call a spade a spade? Frost was fired up to get Wandale, and did bill him as an important piece of the Offense, so much so that he was probably overused, in maybe not the best ways at times. So, I think losing Wandale hurt, to some degree. I think it's ok to say I would like some taller WRs on the roster, but also that throw sucked a$$ and it needs to improve. A bigger WR might have a larger catch radius, but will he be as fast (or quick) as Wandale and get as much separation? And, it doesn't mean we hate AM because we say the throw sucked. He seems like a stand up young man, and I hope he gets squared away and has an all-conference type season, not just for us but for his own personal achievement. It's easy to root for AM when he has a good attitude and stays team focused even when getting benched, but we need better QB play to make the Offense click. We don't have the margin of error to blow opportunities to connect on big plays/scoring plays....
I think they started getting a little too "Wan'Dale dependent" for getting him the ball. Which is tough to say when he's your best offensive weapon, you probably want to get him the ball.

I think we need bigger WRs, or at least more explosive ones on the outside (which I believe we have now). But when we have a guy on staff in this video say "oh we had him wide open we just missed him" and the response is "this won't be as big of a problem once we get bigger WRs out there" as if the height of Wan'Dale is the problem there, it drives me nuts. I bet if you asked Frost he would say "well the actual problem was we had a WR that had no one within 5 yards of him and we threw it to the other team."

For someone who has been a Husker fan since 1940, I really don't like to be negative about the program. But that attitude has been forced upon me by the results of the SF era. It feels like Potsy Clark all over again.

While *** is spot on in his analysis, no one likes to touch the third rail and conclude what at this point seems to be the only possible explanation for that lengthy litany of weaknesses and failures.- Our HC is in over his head.

So I think we have to outlive the Moos regime and hope in the meantime that he doesn't give SF a lengthy expensive extension if he finally wins six games.

That everyone thinks we showed a winning running game last year because we got a lot of yards on Rutgers demonstrates the depths of our problem.

I really hope the program proves me wrong, but hope is different from expects.

I think they started getting a little too "Wan'Dale dependent" for getting him the ball. Which is tough to say when he's your best offensive weapon, you probably want to get him the ball.

I think we need bigger WRs, or at least more explosive ones on the outside (which I believe we have now). But when we have a guy on staff in this video say "oh we had him wide open we just missed him" and the response is "this won't be as big of a problem once we get bigger WRs out there" as if the height of Wan'Dale is the problem there, it drives me nuts. I bet if you asked Frost he would say "well the actual problem was we had a WR that had no one within 5 yards of him and we threw it to the other team."

And I'm not sure if AM said it in a post game presser, but I'm confident that he'd be the first to say that the interception was on him; that he needs to make that pass catchable for WR.

Last edited:

You should know you are in trouble when you depend on a shrimp to carry your team.

You should know you are in trouble when you depend on a shrimp to carry your team.
Jeff Brohm and Rondale Moore seemed to take us to the woodshed with that blueprint. Chris Olave is the same weight as him and tore us a new one. Heisman trophy winner is the same weight.

Last edited:

For someone who has been a Husker fan since 1940, I really don't like to be negative about the program. But that attitude has been forced upon me by the results of the SF era. It feels like Potsy Clark all over again.

While *** is spot on in his analysis, no one likes to touch the third rail and conclude what at this point seems to be the only possible explanation for that lengthy litany of weaknesses and failures.- Our HC is in over his head.

So I think we have to outlive the Moos regime and hope in the meantime that he doesn't give SF a lengthy expensive extension if he finally wins six games.

That everyone thinks we showed a winning running game last year because we got a lot of yards on Rutgers demonstrates the depths of our problem.

Nice post, encapsulates my feelings. This keeping our fingers crossed in hopes of better days probably won't work. GBR

Don’t forget Mr. Do Everything. :thumbsup:

mtucphb0s1nvr1zjb77d

JGQIKO4NHJDTRA2X4EB7ZQZGQE.jpg

Last edited:

I get this take. Quite honestly, my frustration doesn't come from where we are currently. It comes from where we are compared to what our staff said. Our head coach went through a full spring ball in 2018 and came with "you better get us now because we are going to be dangerous in 2019". Our AD said "we have Ohio State running scared" and "years 2 and 3 is where you start seeing results." Fast-forward to now and Moos is shifting to "years 4 and 5 is where you need to take a look at things" and people clamoring "we have no idea how bad it was."

My question is, if we were saying that about a 19-19 team that went to two bowl games, had a 9 win season, and oh by the way we forced the head coach to fire his best coordinator, our AD also told him he couldn't recruit JUCOs anymore as I pointed out when Riley got a ton of them at Oregon State but none here, and our administration told him they couldn't do the circuit workout that we are doing all the time now (it's not about the workout, it's about non coaches telling them what they can and cant' do)... what would this staff say about this program if they took over in 2021 which for the past 3 seasons had way less hurdles than Riley, but mustered up a 12-20 record with zero bowl games and zero winning seasons? Keep in mind that nearly every player when Riley took over was like "ummm.... you fired Bo for this guy?" and wasn't happy, while when Frost was hired initially the majority were extremely happy as they saw what happened in Orlando and knew they needed to be better.

Again, I could actually be on board with where we are right now if not for the comments that were made from people that see our team everyday on where we would be in 2021. Us underachieving to this point is by their bar, not one I created on my own.

Last edited:

It should never happen.
Alabama and Ohio State do fine with it. The Patriots won Super Bowls with guys like Julian Edelman being their primary WR. It's what football is now. If you are going to spread the field out and be "Oregon fast", how big a guy is matters about as much as a WNBA regular season game. We are trying to get guys in space. The leading WR for Oregon when they played for a National Title in 2014 and Scott Frost was their OC was Byron Marshall who was the exact same height as Wan'Dale.

"It should never happen" basically is telling Alabama, Ohio State, New England, and Oregon when they were playing for championships "you're doing it wrong." I don't get that statement at all.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back