• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Do you have an EV?

Huskerfan69

Travel Squad
2 Year Member
If yes, which one do you have.. tell me about it. I am hoping for 2 more years and then I will make the move. My focus will be on distance.. the most possible. that and the fastest recharge time.

I am not doing it because I am a "we got to save this country" person, but I am a "sick of being screwed at the pumps" guy.

Last edited:

If you are looking 2 years out you will have a number of options.

If it is a truck keep an eye on Rivian. They are starting production this year and seem to have a pretty solid vehicle.

On the charging thing, how far do you drive on average per day? Is it near 200+ If so maybe an EV isn’t for you. If it is around the average of 40 miles per day charging speed should be much of an issue. Most EVs are trickle charged overnight in the owner’s garage.

mover the next 2 years a lot more public charging stations will appear in parking lists so if need be you should be able to find a level 2 charger at or near a place you will be at for over 20 minutes (like a restaurant or store). Most EVs can get 80% charge in 20 minutes (the last 20% takes the most time).

If you are looking 2 years out you will have a number of options.

If it is a truck keep an eye on Rivian. They are starting production this year and seem to have a pretty solid vehicle.

On the charging thing, how far do you drive on average per day? Is it near 200+ If so maybe an EV isn’t for you. If it is around the average of 40 miles per day charging speed should be much of an issue. Most EVs are trickle charged overnight in the owner’s garage.

mover the next 2 years a lot more public charging stations will appear in parking lists so if need be you should be able to find a level 2 charger at or near a place you will be at for over 20 minutes (like a restaurant or store). Most EVs can get 80% charge in 20 minutes (the last 20% takes the most time).

a one day trip to the city including around town driving, would probably be close to 200, but 95% of the time we don't drive very far.

My wife drives 80 miles round trip to work each day, so that is fine there.

a one day trip to the city including around town driving, would probably be close to 200, but 95% of the time we don't drive very far.

My wife drives 80 miles round trip to work each day, so that is fine there.
Next time you make a trip to the city see if you notice any public charging stations. There might be more than you have noticed.

min 2 years I think the average range on an EV is going to be over 300 miles probably closer to 400.

Next time you make a trip to the city see if you notice any public charging stations. There might be more than you have noticed.

min 2 years I think the average range on an EV is going to be over 300 miles probably closer to 400.

Yeah, I bet there is.. it is weird that once you decide to do something you start seeing that thing more often. Like buying a certain type of car, you never notice that type before, but all of a sudden you start noticing them all over.. :)

We had a Chevy Volt for a while and loved it. It ran approx. 40 miles a day on just electricity, which usually was plenty for us. If you wanted to take a trip in it, the gasoline engine took care of you. It was a super cool concept, and I am frankly shocked that it wasn't adopted by the carmakers en masse. I think we filled it up twice in a year.

Sorry to detract from the OP but I can't imagine giving up a V8. I love the power. The sound. And the smell. I grew up with dirt track racing, straight pipes, and un-capped headers. When I mash the pedal I want to feel the rumble and hear the roar.

I've driven a Tesla. The torque and acceleration is impressive. No argument. But the heart pounding excitement stimulating all my senses just isn't there.

We had a Chevy Volt for a while and loved it. It ran approx. 40 miles a day on just electricity, which usually was plenty for us. If you wanted to take a trip in it, the gasoline engine took care of you. It was a super cool concept, and I am frankly shocked that it wasn't adopted by the carmakers en masse. I think we filled it up twice in a year.
Carrying, or producing two drive units is expensive, and removes the focus of the goal, a totally electric vehicle. It adds weight of both, diminishing the performance of both, besides the costs.

They have a niche during a transition, but they will be looked at like all concept cars that hit the market, just like, name the first american car that had front wheel drive that actually came to market?

Sorta like a Studebaker, best of alot of worlds, but its not for everyone.

If yes, which one do you have.. tell me about it. I am hoping for 2 more years and then I will make the move. My focus will be on distance.. the most possible. that and the fastest recharge time.

I am not doing it because I am a "we got to save this country" person, but I am a "sick of being screwed at the pumps" guy.
i still think pure EV will be a niche market for the next 20 years. Battery tech isn't there yet and the metals required, as elon musk has stated, are the limiting factor in EV adoption. Those metals are already hard to find and very expensive. with increased demand the market price is only going to go up.

Hybrid's will be preferred due to the short range all electric capability with a smaller battery than pure EV, and gas for long range.

needless to say, Chevy(gmc), ford are investing heavily in EV tech and expect to see hybrids throughout their product lines in the consumer lines. Dont think that F-250 and above will be pure EV, maybe hybrid but i doubt it.

The silicon based, or glass based, or solid state battery will make it happen.
If history and efficiency ramp up are a lesson, itll likely be ten years from now, IF those batteries start appearing in the market in the next few years.
If so, they are looking at smaller vehicles of todays standard ranges, much less weight displacement, and much faster charging times.

Moving to a silicon based battery model eliminates much of the rare earth problems,not only because of their rarities, the environmental costs, all you green weenies take note, and their problematic disposal after life expectancy.
Because of the above, all the green is turned to a very rich brown seen as rare earths.

Getting to a silicon based, or similar solution is the way forwards.

The silicon based, or glass based, or solid state battery will make it happen.
If history and efficiency ramp up are a lesson, itll likely be ten years from now, IF those batteries start appearing in the market in the next few years.
If so, they are looking at smaller vehicles of todays standard ranges, much less weight displacement, and much faster charging times.

Moving to a silicon based battery model eliminates much of the rare earth problems,not only because of their rarities, the environmental costs, all you green weenies take note, and their problematic disposal after life expectancy.
Because of the above, all the green is turned to a very rich brown seen as rare earths.

Getting to a silicon based, or similar solution is the way forwards.
solid state, li-fe, li-po. all suffer from poor performance in cold weather. try taking your electric leaf blower in the below freezing temp and run it, i bet you get 5 minutes of full power if that.

to give you an example of how far off those techs are, li-po batteries used in tesla today were first commercially available in 92'. the first tesla cam out in 2005 and they are still tweaking the tech to this day.

glass - no commercial products yet, one company has committed to try it in 2020
Silicon - farthest along, partially implemented in tesla's newest batteries.
solid state - only found in things like pace makers (uber expensive device). low temps make this a problematic solution.

i still maintain 20 years before consumer market is dominated by EV only. Look at trains, diesel electric trains replaced steam coal fired trains in the mid-1930's. you get the best of both worlds, constant torque and long range of gas. cars are only 66 years late to the game(prius, first popular hybrid).

i would also note that I dont want to back my EV truck in the lake to unload/load by fishing boat..... :thumbsup:
1614419510292.png

solid state, li-fe, li-po. all suffer from poor performance in cold weather. try taking your electric leaf blower in the below freezing temp and run it, i bet you get 5 minutes of full power if that.

to give you an example of how far off those techs are, li-po batteries used in tesla today were first commercially available in 92'. the first tesla cam out in 2005 and they are still tweaking the tech to this day.

glass - no commercial products yet, one company has committed to try it in 2020
Silicon - farthest along, partially implemented in tesla's newest batteries.
solid state - only found in things like pace makers (uber expensive device). low temps make this a problematic solution.

i still maintain 20 years before consumer market is dominated by EV only. Look at trains, diesel electric trains replaced steam coal fired trains in the mid-1930's. you get the best of both worlds, constant torque and long range of gas. cars are only 66 years late to the game(prius, first popular hybrid).

i would also note that I dont want to back my EV truck in the lake to unload/load by fishing boat..... :thumbsup:
View attachment 61204
I get it.
But consider markets here. There are so many markets to be had here, all out efforts by as many as can will be trying to get these to markets,plural.

Despite the lefts upside down pov on life in general, I never underestimate the power of the motivation of making a buck, and at this scale, the norms, as you pointed out, are likely out the window.

I get it.
But consider markets here. There are so many markets to be had here, all out efforts by as many as can will be trying to get these to markets,plural.

Despite the lefts upside down pov on life in general, I never underestimate the power of the motivation of making a buck, and at this scale, the norms, as you pointed out, are likely out the window.

What you want to do and whats possible at this time are two different things.

say hello to the Newton message pad. the ipad before ipad was technically feasible. notice the release date between the newton and the 1st gen ipad. near that 20 year mark i keep referencing. everything will sort it self out, but its not going to be a few years from now.

1614456410731.png
1614456502286.png

with all the posts ive made on this thread dont get me wrong about moving to EV, i am looking at getting a F-150 hybrid this year. the constant torque of electric motor combine with gas make it very attractive and worth the extra 3k to get 7mpg better gas mileage.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back