• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Plans In Work For Huskers To Open 2022 Season In Dublin (Perhaps vs Northwestern)

Completely worthless. I could care less. What are they trying to do, get the college fan in Ireland? They don’t give a rip. Other than a wasted game for the fans overseas, this is a waste of time.

I am not sure why anyone would fly overseas for the product we are currently putting on the field. Whatevs.

I hear ya... there must've been A LOT MORE optimism last January... ;)

"John Anthony of Anthony Travel told the Journal Star in January 2020 — three months after the original date with Illinois was announced — that Husker fans were powering ticket sales at a record pace. 'We were thrilled with the initial response by fans — it was huge right out of the gate,' Anthony said."

It's a good opportunity for the players to travel to a different country and experience a (slightly) different culture first-hand. Most of them have probably never been out of the U.S. It will be a good experience for them.

I guess I am still old-fashioned enough to think that college sports should be about more than just wins and losses, and your personal brand and NIL revenue.

Why move a game with NORTHWESTERN to Ireland? That's a fun, and DOABLE, road trip for NU fans.

Why not move a road game with one of the east division schools to Ireland?

WTH are we so hellbent on a game in Ireland, anyway?

It's a good opportunity for the players to travel to a different country and experience a (slightly) different culture first-hand. Most of them have probably never been out of the U.S. It will be a good experience for them.

I guess I am still old-fashioned enough to think that college sports should be about more than just wins and losses, and your personal brand and NIL revenue.

You should try being less white.

;)

Does anyone give two farts about getting our asses kicked in Ireland of all places? Are we trying to recruit there? Spread some Husker cheer across the pond? Do the Irish even grow corn?

I am lost about this one.

The only angle I see is that it's likely to get some extra TV coverage here in the US. Ireland is 5 hours ahead of Eastern Time, so it's close enough to run the event live (6pm Ireland = 1pm ET / 10am PT) and not have to broadcast it in the dead of night.

Guessing that by having a Week Zero game coupled with an international broadcast will probably help secure us a prime ESPN or ABC time slot and get more national exposure.

But that's literally the only thing I can think of. It's not like we're playing Notre Dame in Ireland. The Illini don't have any visible connections to Ireland either, but I suppose swapping them out for the Purple Nerds means all the Micks and Murphys will be rooting for the coach named Patrick Fitzgerald. The only way Fitz gets more Irish is if he moonlights as the Lucky Charms mascot.

Last edited:

The only angle I see is that it's likely to get some extra TV coverage here in the US. Ireland is 5 hours ahead of Eastern Time, so it's close enough to run the event live (6pm Ireland = 1pm ET / 10am PT) and not have to broadcast it in the dead of night.

Guessing that by having a Week Zero game coupled with an international broadcast will probably help secure us a prime ESPN or ABC time slot and get more national exposure.

But that's literally the only thing I can think of. It's not like we're playing Notre Dame in Ireland. The Illini don't have any visible connections to Ireland either, but I suppose swapping them out for the Purple Nerds means all the Micks and Murphys will be rooting for the coach named Patrick Fitzgerald. The only way Fitz gets more Irish is if he moons lights as the Lucky Charms mascot.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back