• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

*** Thoughts from offseason topics

I think these are all fair points. I would certainly practice a bit differently than they do. But what's tough when you are Frost and his staff, is them seeing 13-0 and beating Auburn with how they do things. I think they have finally figured out that was an extremely rare deal and momentum started helping them. I'm hoping for a bit of changes. I think they set thigns up for their guys to be successful in practice and when we don't get that level of success on Saturdays it gets out of hand in a hurry. Just speculating.
HCSSO:
So I think that these two issues are the meat of why DONU has had three straight losing seasons:
1. 13-0 was the confluence of all the stars aligning, all the other seasons for this staff are losing seasons.
2. The unique way of practicing that this staff uses is not one that anyone commonly thinks of when it comes to eliminating errors in sports, or for that matter in any other venue. Stopping and immediately addressing the mistake and repping until the mistake is gone is a far more accepted methodology.

So we come to, who tells the "emperor that he has no clothes"? I'm a Doctor and my go to guy was my Dad who also was a Doctor, so if i had issues I needed to discuss, that who I would call.

I wonder if Scott's father's illness and death removed a source (he was a coach too) that could have told him things no one else would?

Scott also has been rumored to have a very personal relationship to Dr. Tom. Perhaps he could tell Scott things he needs to hear about #1 and #2 and more that we don't know about that could lead to winning in 2021.

It's not a talent issue and 2021 is the Rubicon......

GBR

HCSSO:
So I think that these two issues are the meat of why DONU has had three straight losing seasons:
1. 13-0 was the confluence of all the stars aligning, all the other seasons for this staff are losing seasons.
2. The unique way of practicing that this staff uses is not one that anyone commonly thinks of when it comes to eliminating errors in sports, or for that matter in any other venue. Stopping and immediately addressing the mistake and repping until the mistake is gone is a far more accepted methodology.

So we come to, who tells the "emperor that he has no clothes"? I'm a Doctor and my go to guy was my Dad who also was a Doctor, so if i had issues I needed to discuss, that who I would call.

I wonder if Scott's father's illness and death removed a source (he was a coach too) that could have told him things no one else would?

Scott also has been rumored to have a very personal relationship to Dr. Tom. Perhaps he could tell Scott things he needs to hear about #1 and #2 and more that we don't know about that could lead to winning in 2021.

GBR
Regarding #2. Maybe Frost and a few of his guys should roadtrip to Clemson and Bama and see how practices are run, ask a few questions. Might actually learn something, as long as Frost is willing to learn.

HCSSO:

GBR
One of the things that really is interesting to me, is the stars just haven't aligned this century for Nebraska to win a conference title despite us showing it happen at many other places. I mean think about this.... in 2012 Penn State AND Ohio State weren't eligible for a conference title and we still couldn't beat Wisconsin. We got routed in fact. 2009 the extra second gets put on the clock. In 2010 we come out hair on fire against OU and just can't hold them off. I'm not a big "we are cursed" guy but judas.

2019, 18th in penalties
This is the second time you've said this in the past month or so. The other two years the Huskers were 93rd in 2020 and 119th in 2020, so which is the outlier. It's great you want to defend this staff but come on find something else to hang your hat on because this is a losing argument.

One of the things that really is interesting to me, is the stars just haven't aligned this century for Nebraska to win a conference title despite us showing it happen at many other places. I mean think about this.... in 2012 Penn State AND Ohio State weren't eligible for a conference title and we still couldn't beat Wisconsin. We got routed in fact. 2009 the extra second gets put on the clock. In 2010 we come out hair on fire against OU and just can't hold them off. I'm not a big "we are cursed" guy but judas.
I often find myself saying the exact same thing ***, how can so many things go wrong at the exact same time, someone has to step up somewhere. I don't believe in a "Jinx" either, but its next to impossible to explain some of these occurrences any other way.

This is the second time you've said this in the past month or so. The other two years the Huskers were 93rd in 2020 and 119th in 2020, so which is the outlier. It's great you want to defend this staff but come on find something else to hang your hat on because this is a losing argument.
Simply a fact.
If you prefer it as an outlier, thats fine, but, it has been done before, fact

I believe in the curse, and I blame it on Pepsi. I believe that contract to the dark side started in June of 1997, if I am correct. Plus, look at of the teams who have won the NC since then. Nearly 100% (I think 2006 Florida, who had just switched from Coke and 2008 Florida) are the only Pepsi teams to have won an NC up until 2019, anyway.

I cannot take credit for the research here. That belongs to someone on Reddit (I can't remember his name).

Enjoy your popcorn!

I won't bring us into this... but there's a reason WE didn't get sanctions. There's still agents crawling around Lincoln, though not as many as back when Blake/Callahan and Pelini were here.

I think people would be surprised what's behind the curtain. But I completely understand people being leery of someone that has some sanctions against him. Though at this point i'd take some sanctions if it brought us a conference title.

Yeah I'm not saying we are the only squeaky clean program in the country. I'm not that naive. But surely there are qualified individuals that aren't nearly so risky.

And your last sentence? I can definitely hear that in Bobby Petrino's voice.

This is all Tom Osborne's fault! He quit coaching :Huskers: to become a congressman and to live comfortably on his laurels!
:Sarcastic::Sarcasm::Peacesign::HuskersN:

I often find myself saying the exact same thing ***, how can so many things go wrong at the exact same time, someone has to step up somewhere. I don't believe in a "Jinx" either, but its next to impossible to explain some of these occurrences any other way.

I'm not going to jinx on 2010 ... we beat OU if we we ... i don't know, remember that we have the best field goal kicker in the country on our team and get like 2 yards instead of dropping back to pass.

I think these are all fair points. I would certainly practice a bit differently than they do. But what's tough when you are Frost and his staff, is them seeing 13-0 and beating Auburn with how they do things. I think they have finally figured out that was an extremely rare deal and momentum started helping them. I'm hoping for a bit of changes. I think they set thigns up for their guys to be successful in practice and when we don't get that level of success on Saturdays it gets out of hand in a hurry. Just speculating.
I certainly understand that they probably thought they had the special sauce at UCF. But I agree maybe it was just a perfect storm... I do think our coaches seem to be trying to adjust, but it does seem a bit too slow imo... and clearly our practice habits/style needs to be looked at... maybe have a day they run "fast", but maybe coach a bit more on other days... I'm not convinced we can ever win practicing the way we do... Our games prove that out imo. Will we truly make game play/ style adjustments or more of the same? Guess we will see

HCSSO:

GBR

I certainly understand that they probably thought they had the special sauce at UCF. But I agree maybe it was just a perfect storm... I do think our coaches seem to be trying to adjust, but it does seem a bit too slow imo... and clearly our practice habits/style needs to be looked at... maybe have a day they run "fast", but maybe coach a bit more on other days... I'm not convinced we can ever win practicing the way we do... Our games prove that out imo. Will we truly make game play/ style adjustments or more of the same? Guess we will see

I too have issue with fast practice and correct in meeting rooms later in the day or the following day. Kinda reminds me of this scene from Days of Thunder where going fast is not always the best way. Just like tires win races, practice wins games.

C

I believe in the curse, and I blame it on Pepsi. I believe that contract to the dark side started in June of 1997, if I am correct. Plus, look at of the teams who have won the NC since then. Nearly 100% (I think 2006 Florida, who had just switched from Coke and 2008 Florida) are the only Pepsi teams to have won an NC up until 2019, anyway.

I cannot take credit for the research here. That belongs to someone on Reddit (I can't remember his name).

Enjoy your popcorn!
The Pepsi Challenge... like the theory. ;)

I'm reminded of my Jr high basketball coach who used to talk about the preservation of excellence - almost a universal karma / balance in the force - you're never quite as good as you look, or never quite as bad... if you have an extended run of good fortune - eventually bad fortune will even things out. a kid would make a fallaway off balanced shot... & then a few plays later dribble the ball off his foot out of bounds & coach would say PofE. Always thought he was out there/weird - guess it was the early 70's & coach drove a van with a big peace symbol / scenery mural on the side & looked like Tommy Chong ... but the older I've gotten, (& especially when I play golf & have a good shot.... & then promptly shank or slice something terribly) - I'll often think maybe Coach Fochi was on to something.

At times I wonder if "this" is our penance for all those decades of 9 or more wins ...

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back