• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

O-Town Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whether it was Fidone remembering when we were great, or his dad telling him about it, it was a big part of why he came here (maybe the majority of why he came here). What I am saying is, much of the ground work was laid before he even had a conversation with Scott or his staff. See for yourself. This is just one article I found on my first search. I know there is another out there detailing that his love for when Nebraska was great is what drew him here in the first place. I’m not saying he didn’t click with Scott, but to say it was solely Scott’s recruiting skills are why he came here is just not accurate with what what the kid has said.

I standby what I wrote

You seem to take the position that the rest of us just "don't understand" the recent history of the program, yet you do, and indicate this by your "I remind everyone" comments. And, you are making the point that the timetable that we are seeing was expected, and the rest of us just don't understand. We get the history of the program. You aren't the only one who has been watching Husker football for the last 30 years. We know it was a big job to rebuild the program. The fact is, Frost is behind schedule, by his own admission and predictions, and it is going to disqualify us from consideration by many recruits who want to win. Frost was predicting this rebuild would be "similar to UCF" and we would be "dangerous in year 2". Fan dissatisfaction should not be a surprise, nor should concern over signing the "500 mile radius" recruits. If Frost was winning at a decent clip, there wouldn't be as much hand wringing about every in-state recruit lost, guys leaving the team, or portal activity. I'm thinking that if Frost won the Big10 West, we wouldn't be very concerned if we lost 5,10, 15 guys through the portal. It shouldn't be surprising that fans are questioning everything Frost is doing, considering his results so far, especially when he predicted faster results himself.
I'm all for giving Frost 5 years minimum, and I am wanting him to succeed, but let's not pretend that what we are seeing is expected and isn't the result of some failings by Frost.....
Sure but a thread about four kids that probably aren’t coming here and is negative in nature gets old. The two tight ends probably shouldn’t come here. Are we going to have six scholarship tight ends? Only a couple will play. So they would transfer regardless. The other two just don’t want to be in Nebraska. Lots of kids don’t. Yes winning would help but not eliminate these issues.

You seem to take the position that the rest of us just "don't understand" the recent history of the program, yet you do, and indicate this by your "I remind everyone" comments. And, you are making the point that the timetable that we are seeing was expected, and the rest of us just don't understand. We get the history of the program. You aren't the only one who has been watching Husker football for the last 30 years. We know it was a big job to rebuild the program. The fact is, Frost is behind schedule, by his own admission and predictions, and it is going to disqualify us from consideration by many recruits who want to win. Frost was was predicting this rebuild would be "similar to UCF" and we would be "dangerous in year 2". Fan dissatisfaction should not be a surprise, nor should concern over signing the "500 mile radius" recruits. If Frost was winning at a decent clip, there wouldn't be as much hand wringing about every in-state recruit lost, guys leaving the team, or portal activity. I'm thinking that if Frost won the Big10 West, we wouldn't be very concerned if we lost 5,10, 15 guys through the portal. It shouldn't be surprising that fans are questioning everything Frost is doing, considering his results so far, especially when he predicted faster results himself.
I'm all for giving Frost 5 years minimum, and I am wanting him to succeed, but let's not pretend that what we are seeing is expected and isn't the result of some failings by Frost.....
First, there are many who have chosen it ignore how far weve fallen.
As for a timetable, its taken 2 decades of failure, not totally unrecognized, as many mentioned BCs lack of walkons, Bos lack of top recruitiing and traditions, or MRs lack ofjucos where glaring holes were in the team,and, 2 years ago, a frosh class limited to four games, no spring practice, last year, no spring practices again for that class and the prior two classes through attrition of coaching switches, where one was ranked 70th out of 70, and a handful of very many that left have gone on to play at a higher level, showing a lack of talent.

So, if todays kids havnt been shown tradition, not by media, or by mom and dad,but by the various staffs thats abandoned them, so,no successes without them those traditions, to show, as in wins, the kids are left with less a part of the Nebraska 'way', and are more like other teams, where some always like the home team, but when many other want winning, so yes, we all should see it coming.

I for instance, support having Foreman involved in the program,not just because hes a proven natty winner, or a high level pro player, but he continues to coach today,he cares about the program,shows what sets Nebraska apart from other schools.
He not only qualifies because of his activities with current youth in athletics, but nails every old aspect that should never have gotten old to begin with.
If things have changed today, again, he is working with todays youth.

Yet others see Foreman as a possible impediment, making a potential connection to our past a dead end.

I agree,SF is behind schedule,but so then are PSU and Mich,so,I realize we arent exclusive here,and SFs schedule isnt bulletproof to all things pandemic.

We essentially have three years worth of freshmen on this team,yet other claims, theyre like juniors this coming year,well, where the extra bowl practices we used to see? The spring practices? The normal fall practices?
And theres some from 2019 whos had but 4 games their first year,and no second spring practice, so yes, I agree he is behind schedule, but I dont ignore these things.

So, losing traditions by design, losing players and continuity through coaching changes have left little for the youth of today for Nebraska football, no one complained this hard about our coaches when Mike Mcgee left for Mich for basketball,as our traditions werent set like the football program,
so its expected

Plus, only 8 games last year, that doesnt help us get older.

Last edited:
Sure but a thread about four kids that probably aren’t coming here and is negative in nature gets old. The two tight ends probably shouldn’t come here. Are we going to have six scholarship tight ends? Only a couple will play. So they would transfer regardless. The other two just don’t want to be in Nebraska. Lots of kids don’t. Yes winning would help but not eliminate these issues.
Understood. And, you make a good point about the tight ends. As loaded as we are at that position, whoever comes here at that position will sit. And, we seem to be pretty well stocked at OL. The staff has done a good job addressing the OL needs, at least considering recruiting rankings/potential. Some kids will just want to leave NE, but let's be successful enough to give those on the fence pause about what they are leaving behind. I think you are correct that winning will not fix everything, but it will help draw better recruits to NU in many cases, and create some positive momentum around the program that is sorely needed, IMO.

First, there are many who have chosen it ignore how far weve fallen.
As for a timetable, its taken 2 decades of failure, not totally unrecognized, as many mentioned BCs lack of walkons, Bos lack of top recruitiing and traditions, or MRs lack ofjucos where glaring holes were in the team,and, 2 years ago, a frosh calls limited to four games, no spring practice, last year, no spring practices again for that class and the prior two classes through attrition of coaching switches and and a handful of very many that left have gone on to play at a higher level, showing a lack of talent.

So, if todays kids havnt been shown tradition, not by media, but by the various staffs thats abandoned them, so,no successes without them to show, the kids are left with less a par of the Nebraska 'way', and are more like other teams, where some always like the home team, but when many other want winning, so yes, we all should see it coming.

I for instance, support having Foreman involved in the program,not just because hes a proven natty winner, or a high level pro player, but he continues to coach today,he cares about the program,shows what sets Nebraska apart from other schools.
He not only qualifies because of his activities with current youth in athletics, but nails every old aspect that should never have gotten old to begin with.
If things have changed today, again, he is working with todays youth.

I agree,SF is behind schedule,but so it PSU and Mich,so,I realize we arent exclusive here,and SFs schedule isnt bulletproof to all things pandemic.

We essentially have three years worth of freshmen on this team,yet other claims, theyre like juniors this coming year,well, where the extra bowl practices we used to see? The spring practices? The normal fall practices?
And theres some from 2019 whos had but 4 games their first year,and no second spring practice, si, yes, I agree he is beind schedule, but I dont ignore these things.

So, losing traditions by design, losing players and continuity through coaaching changes have left little for the youth of today for Nebraska football, no one complained this hard about our coaches when Mike Mcgee left for Mich for basketball,as our traditions werent set like the football program,
so its expected

Plus, only 8 games last year
First, I don't see anyone on here "ignoring how far we've fallen." We ALL know that, and that's why everyone is a little more patient with Frost. 2nd, are you saying that you knew that Frost's prediction of "dangerous in year 2" was incorrect from the start, and we should have "all seen the losing seasons coming?" So, you knew better than Frost what the timetable was, even though he also knew about the past coaching staffs, the loss of tradition, etc? Finally, everyone had to deal with Covid-19, not just us. And for the record, we weren't dangerous in year 2, we regressed, and that was BEFORE the pandemic. I realize where we are at and that Frost is getting humbled a bit and learning on the job. I want Frost here for the long haul, but let's not try to justify everything that has happened and act like it was expected, because that's not accurate...
I do agree with getting Foreman and Peter involved with the program, and I hope their mindset of excellence can rub off on the team. It can't hurt, and it's a good way to try to get some free culture reinforcement from some guys who have been successful. Foreman is a good dude, as I have interacted with him a few times when our daughters both played in the same softball program in Lincoln. I like the move. :thumbsup:

First, I don't see anyone on here "ignoring how far we've fallen." We ALL know that, and that's why everyone is a little more patient with Frost. 2nd, are you saying that you knew that Frost's prediction of "dangerous in year 2" was incorrect from the start, and we should have "all seen the losing seasons coming?" So, you knew better than Frost what the timetable was, even though he also knew about the past coaching staffs, the loss of tradition, etc? Finally, everyone had to deal with Covid-19, not just us. And for the record, we weren't dangerous in year 2, we regressed, and that was BEFORE the pandemic. I realize where we are at and that Frost is getting humbled a bit and learning on the job. I want Frost here for the long haul, but let's not try to justify everything that has happened and act like it was expected, because that's not accurate...
I do agree with getting Foreman and Peter involved with the program, and I hope their mindset of excellence can rub off on the team. It can't hurt, and it's a good way to try to get some free culture reinforcement from some guys who have been successful. Foreman is a good dude, as I have interacted with him a few times when our daughters both played in the same softball program in Lincoln. I like the move. :thumbsup:
Not at all, and if Ziggy and Stan were juniors year one, we wouldnt be having this conversation,and if Moe hadnt exploded.
Seen thi coming, as to why guys arent coming here, home state kids, I put out there already, giving up on traditions that are not only exclusive to Nebraska, but highly productive as well.
Like, how many walkons have truly contributed? And of those, how well did the staff not only recognize them from the start. but let others know as well?

Now, show me past staffs dong this?
Do other kids see this as well?

This isnt about me, I'm simply pointing out things here. Do not get me confused with others.

What I am saying again is, if kids want traditions, all schools have them, ours have taken a beating by previous staffs and admins, so alternative then arise to just winning when tradition doesnt hold as high a position as it once did.

So yes, we need to win, but SF wasnt wrong we he also said, we need to get old. The facts our guys havnt gotten reps like any normal set of years, as in bowl games, spring practices etc, comparing now as if is just another years gone by is disingenuous at best, I wont say at worst.

Its no wonder hes way off sched, and no one thought year two we would be winning consistently, hoping so yes, convinced no.
And dangerous compared to what? With Ziggy and Stan and Mo and JD it looked good going forwards, bu in one year, half were gone by two, there was problems and the other two were gone.

We could go on about the first class, the staffs late arrival, jumping levels,areas and late late to the party, but 2018 class stunk

Last edited:

Not at all, and if Ziggy and Stan were juniors year one, we wouldnt be having this conversation,and if Moe hadnt exploded.
Seen thi coming, as to why guys arent coming here, home state kids, I put out there already, giving up on traditions that are not only exclusive to Nebraska, but highly productive as well.
Like, how many walkons have truly contributed? And of those, how well did the staff not only recognize them from the start. but let others know as well?

Now, show me past staffs dong this?
Do other kids see this as well?

This isnt about me, I'm simply pointing out things here. Do not get me confused with others.

What I am saying again is, if kids want traditions, all schools have them, ours have taken a beating by previous staffs and admins, so alternative then arise to just winning when tradition doesnt hold as high a position as it once did.

So yes, we need to win, but SF wasnt wrong we he also said, we need to get old. The facts our guys havnt gotten reps like any normal set of years, as in bowl games, spring practices etc, comparing now as if is just another years gone by is disingenuous at best, I wont say at worst.

Its no wonder hes way off sched, and no one thought year two we would be winning consistently, hoping so yes, convinced no.
And dangerous compared to what?
With Ziggy and Stan and Mo and JD it looked good going forwards, bu in one year, half were gone by two, there was problems and the other two were gone.

We could go on about the first class, the staffs late arrival, jumping levels,areas and late late to the party, but 2018 class stunk
I'm not sure, but I think you are saying in the 1st paragraph that you "seen this coming", and if so, you were at least one step ahead of Frost, because he didn't. So, you think Frost was wrong when he said "dangerous in year 2", and "no one" thought that meant winning, according to you. Once again, you act like Frost wasn't aware that Ziggy and Stan were Juniors when he made his prediction. He was aware of all the players he had coming back and it was all taken into consideration before year 2. Since you claim you saw it all coming, I can only conclude that you think Frost was saying we would still have a losing record in year 2 but we we might be dangerous compared to something, which hasn't been defined. And, he must not of realized Ziggy and Stan were Seniors in year 2. On the other hand, you believe him completely when he says "we need to get old". Your logic and argument style makes my head hurt, bro....
I'm going to be done with this conversation and reiterate that, as of the end of year 2 (before Covid-19 hit), NO ONE saw this coming, not even Frost or Moos, and to claim other wise is revisionist baloney. Critical thinking and admission of shortcomings do not automatically put you in the "bad fan" category, or necessitate justification and excuse making. It's ok to point out shortcomings/issues and still support the current staff, and hold out hope that they can get there, even if the timetable is now longer due to mistakes, circumstances, and inexperience.

So I want to pose an honest and non-confrontational question to those who are the most critical of this news. I would say even the most optimistic of us aren't saying this is good news, or that there aren't plenty of things this staff can improve on. This news sucks and we all hope they can turn this around.
The question is do you guys think this staff does anything right in recruiting?

When they get reciprocated interest, especially from a high priority target or position, this staff does a really good job of using multiple coaches to build a relationship with the kid. You hear a lot about how a kid has near daily contact with either his position coach, area recruiter, coordinator or from Frost.

The fact is Frost and Company may have recruited Fidone, but what really brought him to Nebraska was his memories of the 90s. He said as much. It was luck...and that’s best case scenario.

If Fidone didn't grow up a die hard Husker fan, who grew up with generations of his family also bleeding scarlet and cream, he's not at Nebraska. That's true.

I'm not sure, but I think you are saying in the 1st paragraph that you "seen this coming", and if so, you were at least one step ahead of Frost, because he didn't. So, you think Frost was wrong when he said "dangerous in year 2", and "no one" thought that meant winning, according to you. Once again, you act like Frost wasn't aware that Ziggy and Stan were Juniors when he made his prediction. He was aware of all the players he had coming back and it was all taken into consideration before year 2. Since you claim you saw it all coming, I can only conclude that you think Frost was saying we would still have a losing record in year 2 but we we might be dangerous compared to something, which hasn't been defined. And, he must not of realized Ziggy and Stan were Seniors in year 2. On the other hand, you believe him completely when he says "we need to get old". Your logic and argument style makes my head hurt, bro....
I'm going to be done with this conversation and reiterate that, as of the end of year 2 (before Covid-19 hit), NO ONE saw this coming, not even Frost or Moos, and to claim other wise is revisionist baloney. Critical thinking and admission of shortcomings do not automatically put you in the "bad fan" category, or necessitate justification and excuse making. It's ok to point out shortcomings/issues and still support the current staff, and hold out hope that they can get there, even if the timetable is now longer due to mistakes, circumstances, and inexperience.
What I'm saying,as Ive already said, no one could stop this,I'm not surprised if it played a role.
I not once said SF should have or didnt or did or anything about SF in regards to this other than yes hes responsible for his portion and to correcting all the other things,nor to say he should have known.

So, would you be surprised after damaging our traditions if it would have effects on the kids?
If not, then you get it, if so,then put yourself in those who arent being 'understanding enough'.

So many times people have talked about each and every one of these failings,so again, it is no surprise

Last edited:

What I find interesting is, we hire coach after coach, none fixing things torn apart, reinstalling aspects of known payoffs, like thw alkon pogram etc, but, didnt we know this day was coming?
And, do we continue to keep doing things thats known as failure by just saying, just win baby?
Get the hot coach, ignore traditions that add to the programs viability and strength, just win baby.

Weve had enough coaches trying to do just that traditions be danged, but hey, they recruited well, dont need no stinkin walkons, or, didnt recruit well, walkons were ok, but not emphasized, or even, this guy might be able to recruit, but lets hobble him with no jucos etc.

Does any of the above justify just win baby?

Does it make sense to pound on a staff thats reinstilling/installing past proven approaches, yet demand we return to yesterdays winning, while at the same time questioning attaching those that did win then, as to whether this is a good idea?

Some just want to win, but others want to win by doing it right, implementing the things thats always worked, yet for some, its like after all this, that native kids just should be just taken for granted theyd want to come here, and only blame a staff thats committed to changes all things lost, improve the things that werent, and have it turned around and winning, all at once.

We have had 2 great coaches, not just TO, I remind everyone, and since we cant go get a Saban or a Meyer, having a complete change as to just creating wins at a high level, TO didnt do things the Bobfathers way, as TO grew and changed his approach, yet both maintained the strengths, like the walkon program, concentration of more local 500 mile radius kids etc.

Giving this staff and SF in particular, time to remake himself is essential, as he rebuilds a program thats abandoned much of its past successes.
Rock bottom is rock bottom, SF an staff didnt bring us here alone, and is still the best choice to get us righted.
If they don’t win in ‘21 then it’s very unlikely that they will be able to continue to recruit at a high level and that will prohibit them from being able to be successful on the field. Regardless of how we got to where we are today, 4 years is enough to show that as a staff you can win at least half of the games you play. To recruit this well and not be able to put a winner on the field doesn’t speak well of anyone’s coaching ability. I personally want Frost here for the next 20 years. But yes, he needs to put some Ws on the board this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back