• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Is it time to go home?

LOL... maybe the SEC will expand and NU can go there.... reunite with Mizzou (and TAMU for the B12 piners). Seriously, as some have already mentioned, if the Huskers were actually winning football games (and we were early on in the BIG with Bo), it would be a different narrative. Running back to the B12 seems like a silly notion at this point... at least to me. I'd just as soon see Frost get his schitt together and just start winning some BIG games.

When Penn St moved to the B1G a lot of people thought it was a foregone conclusion they would win the conference every year....how many years did it take for them to even be competitive in the conference? I feel like a lot of teams underestimate the conference. Top to bottom its the most competitive league in college football. Sure the SEC has good to great teams but typically the bottom half is atrocious at best.

LOL... maybe the SEC will expand and NU can go there.... reunite with Mizzou (and TAMU for the B12 piners). Seriously, as some have already mentioned, if the Huskers were actually winning football games (and we were early on in the BIG with Bo), it would be a different narrative. Running back to the B12 seems like a silly notion at this point... at least to me. I'd just as soon see Frost get his schitt together and just start winning some BIG games.
This has nothing to do with winning or losing. It has to do with tradition, geography, and the personality of the conferences.

Once again, doesn’t matter. We are not leaving the B1G.

For the sake of argument, let’s say we do start winning. Maybe we win the West a couple of times in the next 5 years, and even play decent in the B1G championship game. Do you think we’ll suddenly get better treatment from the league? Or would we have another 20 years of earning our stripes, having to be reminded we are not an original member?

I don’t know what the answer is, but based on our success over the history of our program, the attention we still get nationally (even as a bad team), we are treated well below lesser B1G programs. It seems obvious this ‘probationary internship’ may go well beyond all of our lives. Is that really how we think we should be treated?
Excellent questions with few answers. However I believe if we start ADDING to athletic prowness of BIG we'd be thought of much differently then presently. A football program living in the past does little to enhance the BIG nor garner much respect. Start winning our division and playing for several conference championship and we would be viewed differently by most teams in the BIG. Not only haven't we been able to beat the best teams in conference we've managed to lose so some of the WORST! What kind of respect are we going to get from other programs.... answer = very little. Frankly it all hinges on how our football program is perceived not only in the BIG but nationally. Right now we don't even register on college football radar screen and get picked midway in our own division. That's really pathetic and needs to change this season imo.

As much as I don't like the BIG the only way we'll ever be considered an equal is to START WINNING!! I'm very tired hearing the litany of excuses that's been given to justify a very poor football program! Most everyone wants to give Frost all the support possible but after 3 losing seasons it's make or break this season imo.

When Penn St moved to the B1G a lot of people thought it was a foregone conclusion they would win the conference every year....how many years did it take for them to even be competitive in the conference? I feel like a lot of teams underestimate the conference. Top to bottom its the most competitive league in college football. Sure the SEC has good to great teams but typically the bottom half is atrocious at best.

They were competitive right away. They went 10-2 their first year in the conference and won it their 2nd year in 1994. Remember the controversy over 94 as they also went undefeated?

This has nothing to do with winning or losing. It has to do with tradition, geography, and the personality of the conferences.

Once again, doesn’t matter. We are not leaving the B1G.

Listen, I get the nostalgia factor... heaven knows, the BIG has never felt like home, but as you say, we are not leaving so the next best thing is to start establishing a new tradition.... particularly, a new tradition that involves playing at the top of the league and not the bottom.

Listen, I get the nostalgia factor... heaven knows, the BIG has never felt like home, but as you say, we are not leaving so the next best thing is to start establishing a new tradition.... particularly, a new tradition that involves playing at the top of the league and not the bottom.
You’ll get no argument from me on that statement.

This is about way more than football and athletics.

In my world, NU, as a university, kind of pulled up the stakes and left town, never to return. Being in Amarillo, I was 2-4-6-8 hour drive of practically any Nebraska game. We took in a bunch of them and had a blast. Many kids from our area attended Nebraska, including a fair amount of athletes. Cheerleaders, volleyball players, golfers, wrestlers, and even some football players. And of course just regular students. Heck, Frank Solich & Co took a quick plane ride down to check out the newly installed field turf at our local high school stadium.

Those days are gone. My son applied to UNL three years ago, and asked admissions to query their database of new freshmen for anyone from the Texas panhandle so that he could contact them, they might carpool etc. NOT A SINGLE STUDENT FROM THE TEXAS PANHANDLE, population 460,000. Given NU’s historical presence here, in an agricultural-based economy, this is astounding. Get your map out - UNL isn’t that far away. Furthermore, it is an ag school, and has has deep ties to the Texas panhandle. That all started changing a decade ago.

Paul Engler, founder of Cactus Feeders here, was a UNL regent for many years and is, to my knowledge, UNL’s largest donor on record. When NU left the neighborhood, he started giving to our local West Texas A&M University. His most recent gift is $1 million a year in perpetuity - basically forever.

But the circus left town, and as time goes on, the memories fade. Nebraska seems a world away. My son attends Oklahoma State, so we follow them as we did Nebraska for so many years.

Last edited:
We need to stay in the B1G. Sorry but going back to the Texas Conf would be a disaster.

Winning will solve many many things and winning in the B1G will mean more than winning in the Big12. When we own the West like OSU owns the East B1G will feel like home for a lot more people. OSU is our new UT.

We need to stay in the B1G. Sorry but going back to the Texas Conf would be a disaster.

Winning will solve many many things and winning in the B1G will mean more than winning in the Big12. When we own the West like OSU owns the East B1G will feel like home for a lot more people. OSU is our new UT.
I would say our new Oklahoma. There’s mutual respect between the programs. We didn’t have that with Texas. But yeah, we’re going to have to get used to it and accept it. I’m not there yet. I accept that we’re stuck with the B1G. I just don’t like it.

those other siblings didn't go to the same place.. :)
true - were we supposed to stick together?:Biggrin: looking thru old xmas /post cards...
  • Puffs headed to the left coast & are 43-75 since leaving the B12 nest.... & are on their 4th HC
  • aTm moved out from the shadow of their big brother a year after us & clearly had something to prove ... going 77-34 since leaving the big dozen - & are on their 2nd HC.
  • Misery has held their own in the mighty SEC (63-49) & are on their 3rd HC
  • DONU is 68-55 since leaving the Tejas conference & HCSF represents the 3rd HC over said time period. Perhaps important to note things started fine, going 37-16 those first four seasons... (31-39 since deciding even a monkey could win 9 or more)

I would say our new Oklahoma. There’s mutual respect between the programs. We didn’t have that with Texas. But yeah, we’re going to have to get used to it and accept it. I’m not there yet. I accept that we’re stuck with the B1G. I just don’t like it.
I don’t think Ohio State respects much Nebraska on the field. It’s just another also ran team to them, that they run over, seemingly annually. Only beating them half the time will change that. NU has some work to do.

Last edited:

I don’t think Ohio State respects Nebraska on the field. It’s just another also ran team to them, that they run over, seemingly annually. Only beating them half the time will change that. NU has some work to do.
Mutually respect between the programs.

Do they consider us worthy competition right now? No. Does anyone? That’s not the point.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back