• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Ivy League Still Not Playing Sports

joncarl

Nobody important
15 Year Member
If this needs to move to hot topics I will understand, I am sure this will get political although I hope it doesn't. I think it is disappointing that the league will not play any sports, I understand they want their 'students' to all be treated the same, but let's be honest, athletes are not always treated the same. I think the president's of the Ivy League are doing a disservice to their students and universities and I while I understand they have rules in place, I believe this will hurt them in the long run.

If this needs to move to hot topics I will understand, I am sure this will get political although I hope it doesn't. I think it is disappointing that the league will not play any sports, I understand they want their 'students' to all be treated the same, but let's be honest, athletes are not always treated the same. I think the president's of the Ivy League are doing a disservice to their students and universities and I while I understand they have rules in place, I believe this will hurt them in the long run.

University presidents all around the country are using COVID as a test to cut sports(either individual sports or entire depts), imo.

University presidents all around the country are using COVID as a test to cut sports(either individual sports or entire depts), imo.
Agreed, but it is a matter of priority.
If a president doesnt value sports, or they are low on his/her list of priorities, the evaluation vs hassle just doesnt square up

There is a lot of money behind some of these Ivy League sports (boosters), I don't ever envision them going away but how they change will be interesting to watch when this is all said and done.

I don’t follow Ivy League sports so its a don’t care here. I am sure it’s a big kick in the kumquats for those lacrosse and fencing teams.

It's hard to follow their rationale. There have, as far as I know, been almost no significant consequences from other leagues playing. Colleges, as a whole, are making curious decisions given that the student population is at very low risk. The post-COVID world will look quite different for colleges and universities, and that applies to much more than athletics. I wouldn't be shocked to see some segments return, in part, to apprenticeship models in place of the college degree. Given the rising costs of a college education and some of the other campus changes over the last few years, that might be a healthy thing. I agree that this will likely have a lasting impact on athletics at the Ivies.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back