• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Losing QB's to the portal

It doesn’t matter if Smothers is ready or not, or any QB for that matter. They should start, just ask them. If they don’t start, BAM, off to the portal!! The portal is the perfect tool for the current “me” generation.
That does seem to be how a high percentage of FBS QBs handle things these days if they are not starting at least by year 2 in the program.

Can’t wait to see Smothers he’s in his second year and will hopefully have a great spring and fall practice. Huskers could be in worse shape than having a second year 4 star freshman backing up a third year junior.

Agree. I think the kid is going to be good.

I'll agree it's not idea to have a basically unproven player at this level as your #2 going into a season, but it's been done before by others.

Since AM has 2 years of eligibility left what happens to our QB situation should he stay for a 5th season? Seems like that decision could result in some very unhappy QB's fighting for the starting job. Does Frost encourage AM to call it quits at the end of 2021 season? Seems unlikely since he has such a strong relationship with AM. I suppose the ideal situation is for AM to have such a great year he has an outside shot at playing at the next level. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Since AM has 2 years of eligibility left what happens to our QB situation should he stay for a 5th season? Seems like that decision could result in some very unhappy QB's fighting for the starting job. Does Frost encourage AM to call it quits at the end of 2021 season? Seems unlikely since he has such a strong relationship with AM. I suppose the ideal situation is for AM to have such a great year he has an outside shot at playing at the next level. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.
My guess is, best man up, and if thats AM, its shared

Interesting comment in the article "Shough is the eighth scholarship player and second quarterback to transfer from UO this offseason". The transfer portal influences virtually every team (except maybe Alabama, Clemson, etc. though).
In 2020 Alabama had 11 transfers out of the program including Taulia Tagovailoa.

My guess is, best man up, and if thats AM, its shared
How does the other QB's really compete if they don't have any playing hence ZERO experience? Just saying seems like with the portal players now simply cut and run soon as they figure they aren't going to be the starter.

John Madden used to say, "If you've got two quarterbacks, you have none."

I don't completely agree with that statement but it can certainly complicate things for the team.

How does the other QB's really compete if they don't have any playing hence ZERO experience? Just saying seems like with the portal players now simply cut and run soon as they figure they aren't going to be the starter.

John Madden used to say, "If you've got two quarterbacks, you have none."

I don't completely agree with that statement but it can certainly complicate things for the team.
It starts in practice. If you can't show it there you are unlikely to show it on the field. Anyone that has ever coached can tell you your best practice players are usually your best game day players. There are exceptions. QB is rarely one. What makes it difficult for the fans is they don't see practices so they make up their own narratives of what they want to believe. Anyone that watched LM last year in his limited early games saw a very limited package that did as much "fooling" the other team then it did execution. Once he was put in the game to run the full package and the defenses's prepared for him we saw the results.

For everyone wanting Logan Smothers to start getting packages or a few series for "experience" should quickly look back on the LM experiment this year. Rumors I hear is he isn't even close to being the answer yet. Specifically with arm strength. For everyone complaining about AM not being able to thrown it down field I can tell you this. AM is asked to frequently complete one of the most dangerous passes in an offense. That is an outside sideline pattern. It is a 27 yard pass from the center of the field to the sideline and has to be thrown hard or its a pick 6. For the number of times he is asked to throw that pass I'm amazed he isn't throwing pick 6's on it all the time. All reports I have been hearing is Logan is.

Last edited:

It starts in practice. If you can't show it there you are unlikely to show it on the field. Anyone that has ever coached can tell you your best practice players are usually your best game day players. There are exceptions. QB is rarely one. What makes it difficult for the fans is they don't see practices so they make up their own narratives of what they want to believe. Anyone that watched LM last year in his limited early games saw a very limited package that did as much "fooling" the other team then it did execution. Once he was put in the game to run the full package and the defenses's prepared for him we saw the results.

For everyone wanting Logan Smothers to start getting packages or a few series for "experience" should quickly look back on the LM experiment this year. Rumors I hear is he isn't even close to being the answer yet. Specifically with arm strength. For everyone complaining about AM not being able to thrown it down field I can tell you this. AM is asked to frequently complete one of the most dangerous passes in an offense. That is an outside sideline pattern. It is a 27 yard pass from the center of the field to the sideline and has to be thrown hard or its a pick 6. For the number of times he is asked to throw that pass I'm amazed he isn't throwing pick 6's on it all the time. All reports I have been hearing is Logan is.
I'm not advocating for any particular player to be our starter except make sure it's the best we have out there. I said EARLY on when some said AM had played his last down as our starter I strongly disagreed. My point/question is IF AM is the best and wants to play another year what happens with the QB's stacked up behind him? Seems like today soon as players figure out they aren't going to be a starter (especially QB's) they flee the scene. AM certainly has a lot to prove this coming season especially when it comes to NOT turning the ball over imo. That's a KILLER stat and either it greatly improves or someone else should get a chance imo.

We cant overlook bama, right?
There is no better example
Yea... Hurts was bused by little Nick with a career record at Bama of 92.9 percent (26-2). He immediately fled to the Swooners so today a good QB is not sticking with a program if they aren't the starter. So even mighty Bama can't hang onto to a quality QB like Hurts if he's going to ride the bench.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back