• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Losing QB's to the portal

Luke's departure was a blow, but we are not the only fanbase suffering these losses. TS started every game this year for U of O.

Might he be on the way to Lincoln?
I wish he were on his way to Lincoln. Our staff is pretty locked in on the current QBs we have, so I doubt we will pursue him. If we bring in a transfer QB, it will not be until after Spring practice. Shough will likely have found a new home by then.

Anyone transferring is doing so to be a starter. It sounds like that is not what Frost is looking for, so essentially buckle up and pray Smothers never has to see the field.

I wish he were on his way to Lincoln. Our staff is pretty locked in on the current QBs we have, so I doubt we will pursue him. If we bring in a transfer QB, it will not be until after Spring practice. Shough will likely have found a new home by then.
Per bolded, if that happens, Smothers goes into the portal......Today's world.......

Luke's departure was a blow, but we are not the only fanbase suffering these losses. TS started every game this year for U of O.

Might he be on the way to Lincoln?
I watched a few Oregon games this year. Shough was really all that impressive, IMO. He's still young, though.

Edit: As a grad transfer, he's not that young.

Last edited:
Per bolded, if that happens, Smothers goes into the portal......Today's world.......
Probably true if it is anyone other than a Senior who comes in as a one-year bridge and insurance policy.

On the other hand, if Smothers isn't yet ready to step in and win games against Big 10 opponents, it is reckless to count on Martinez being (1) healthy all season; and (2) a lot better than he has been the last 2 years.

The staff clearly will stand pat at least through Spring Practice.

Interesting comment in the article "Shough is the eighth scholarship player and second quarterback to transfer from UO this offseason". The transfer portal influences virtually every team (except maybe Alabama, Clemson, etc. though).

Anyone transferring is doing so to be a starter. It sounds like that is not what Frost is looking for, so essentially buckle up and pray Smothers never has to see the field.
Can’t wait to see Smothers he’s in his second year and will hopefully have a great spring and fall practice. Huskers could be in worse shape than having a second year 4 star freshman backing up a third year junior.

If....they were going to bring in a transfer why do you think it would be after the spring?

Interesting comment in the article "Shough is the eighth scholarship player and second quarterback to transfer from UO this offseason". The transfer portal influences virtually every team (except maybe Alabama, Clemson, etc. though).
It’s the poor culture there.

I think Shough is bailing preemptive because Oregon signed a 5 star Pro style QB ranked #2 in the country according to Rivals. Probably figures he's soon not going to be the starter and wants to find a school where he is the starter.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back