• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nominees for best college car

Not many good looking SUVs anymore unless you want a tank (Suburban) or a crossover. What Chevy did when they brought back the Blazer is criminal. Broncos look good in the pics I've seen, but haven't looked at one in person.

But...for a college girl, those smaller SUVs/ crossovers might be good. Toyota Highlander, maybe?
I am thinking a RAV 4.

We got our son a used Toyota Tacoma. Tough enough for him to beat it up and it still runs. Its a totally reliable minin tank and great first "car". He can haul things around in it and have fun but also doesnt have to dreive his friends around all the time because he doesn't have a ton of seats/room.

We got our son a used Toyota Tacoma. Tough enough for him to beat it up and it still runs. Its a totally reliable minin tank and great first "car". He can haul things around in it and have fun but also doesnt have to dreive his friends around all the time because he doesn't have a ton of seats/room.

Five years ago, I bought my 16 year old son a 2005 Tacoma Prerunner for $8500. It has 160K miles on it. Two years later, we sold it for $8500. Then bought a 2016 4Runner for $28,500, that is still worth $28,500 three years later. ;)

Bought a Toyota Sequoia new in 2005. Still have it....VERY reliable and going strong at 250,000 miles. Daughter has a Toyota RAV 4. If you take care of them, those damn Toyotas go forever.

I would recommend she get a roommate with a car, preferable one who likes to spend a lot of time in libraries and doesn't go out often.

That's what i did. Worked for both of us. His car was kept in good running order and I didn't have to invest in one.

@WestTexasHusker , I agree with you and others about the Rav4 or Highlander. I have a 2014 Toyota Tacoma Limited and it runs like a champ and absolutely no issues, my Mother has a 2016 4runner Limited, same as the Tacoma, runs great, never has a problem. Toyotas are super super reliable, as well as safe. I understand if the price being too high is a concern for you though. Wanted to buy my wife a 4runner but just didnt have the funds to get one we wanted. We ended up getting her a 2012 Honda Pilot, that would be a good choice for your daughter as well. Ours is a touring edition, so all decked out with leather, navigation, backup camera etc. Runs really good, also super reliable and safe. 3rd Row seats that fold flat if needed. Tons of room in there for people or even gigantic boxes or what have you. But they dont look that big and bulky from the outside, like a tahoe etc. It gets around 24 miles mpg., give or take a few here or there, have gotten 26mpg before. We bought ours last year with right around 100,000 miles for about $14,000-$15,000 if I remember right, no doubt in my mind it will make it another 150,000 miles if not more.

P.S. alot of folks said to try to find one with the timing belt changed if it hadnt been done yet, and its close to the 100-120K mile mark. Ours did not, but had all new spark plugs changed, and it runs great. They say its about $600 or so to have one changed if you dont do it your self. We werent deterred, my moms old car is a 2004 Honda Accord with like 170K miles on it and they say the same things about those. But dads never changed the timing belt on it and it just runs and runs, and runs. Many dealers will state on those Honda Pilots if it has been changed or not. But if its been taken care of, I wouldnt worry too much, if some people want a peace of mind they can just have the dealer change it before buying, possibly negotiate it into price of vehicle. Just my .02 cents.

Happy Hunting!

When it comes to young adults and wheels, the correct answer that should be given from them once they get a car from Mom and Dad is "if it's free, it's me". Parents, we get to worry about safety and reliability.

A more helpful answer for WestTexasHusker is Miata.

No I am not a Jalopnik Homer...however, it's the only Japanese car I have had the privilege to drive on the regular (gunna rep Mazda here as Toyota is getting so much love in this post). The 'ol 1999 NB once owned was absolutely bullet proof. Of course it also had a Jackson Supercharger installed, Hotchkis suspension, ect..... Anywho, a regular Miata is too slow to get into speeding ticket type trouble, but is a blast to drive, and daughter can't cram too many friends in it obviously. I with snow tires I had ZERO issues in the snow here in Nebraska!

Well...she wants an Alfa Romeo stelvio. I want her to have a rav4. I think we will compromise and go with a Mercedes GLC. Price is within range, average reliability per CR, and it’s got some cool factor.

Go ahead and spring for the Lebaron. "Just driving around in Jon Voight's car."
1614216602419.png

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back